free excursions

silkismom

We just booked the Mariner's Monte Carlo to Venice for next Apr. The brochure said that the excursions were free. Has anyone experienced the free excursions--I think this just started. Are all the excursions free or just 1 or 2 per port, how does this work and when can you book them. Thanks, we've cruised many times, but this is the first on Regent.

We just booked the Mariner's Monte Carlo to Venice for next Apr. The brochure said that the excursions were free. Has anyone experienced the free excursions--I think this just started. Are all the excursions free or just 1 or 2 per port, how does this work and when can you book them. Thanks, we've cruised many times, but this is the first on Regent.

Some are free-the longer a ones (5+ hours) seem to have a charge but looks like it is at a reduced rate. the problem is that the popular and more intersting excursions(not the 3-4 hour city tours) online fill almost immediately and Regent seems to have no set no. of days out when they become avalable(and in any case don't trust what they tell you-they told us 120 days prior for our 11/18 SYD_AKL cruise but they opened it w/o notice toward the end of June and the popular and more interesting excursions were booked immediately)--So... the upshot is that you should check everyday.

Most excursions are free, but the longer more expensive ones still have a charge--a reduced rate. We are paying $39 for an excursion that would have been over $200 previously.

On our Norway cruise, we had the free excursions. It actually worked fine. They do not try to jam too many people on a bus. The excursions are exactly the same as before they were free.

silkismom,

We are also on that cruise and there is a roll call on it .

I think we were on your Pride of America in January. The worst cruise I have ever taken. Nothing the cruiseline could do however, could dampen the beauty of Hawaii. It was a convenient way to take family to see the various islands in a week.

Miriam

Silkismom,

Lousy service, lousy food except breakfast and speciality. First time I lost weight on a cruise.

We also rented cars in every port.

Cabins were ok - beds were actually comfy. Some stewards were rude and unhelpful.

Decor was garish

Never again....

Regent is a whole different ball game

We will be on the cruise with you on April 7 and will stay on board for the following cruise. If you have never done this itinerary you are in for a treat.

You will see some of the best of Italy. If you have the time, a day or two in Nice and a few in Venice will be time well spent and enjoyed. As stated in previous threads not all excursions are "free". The longer ones are usually at some cost. Some of them have limited space. About 120 days prior to the sailing the complete list of tours will be published on the Regent web site.

Register on the "My Account" of the Regent home page and you will be able to view and select your excursions.

It should be a great cruise.

Actually, the "free excursions" are a bit of a scam. I have taken two cruises with RSSC in the past 4 years and now the prices of the same exact cruises are 40% - 50% more than my original price. The excursions are not so much free as already "charged to you' in the rate you pay. I would say sign up for absolutely everything you can because Regent is still making money.! Let me give you an example. I cruised on RSSC 2 years ago and did the Istanbul to Athens 7 day cruise. It cost each of us $5770 and we had a $500 shipboard credit for the stateroom. We took five excursions each and used the shipboard credit to pay for them. Currently, the rate for this cruise in the same Horizon View category is $11,395 per person. YES PER PERSON. I called to check. This is the "2 for 1" rate per person. It does include air (thank God) but seriously, you couldn't possibly do that many excursions to even warrant paying that price even if you were awake 24 hours a day. The excursions averaged $80 each and you could do one in the morning and one in the afternoon unless you had an all day excursion. You do the math! I would reconsider Regent for a while until their prices come back down to earth. Don't get me wrong. I loved Regent, but why would you pay twice the price. Nobody is that stupid.

Actually, the "free excursions" are a bit of a scam. I have taken two cruises with RSSC in the past 4 years and now the prices of the same exact cruises are 40% - 50% more than my original price. The excursions are not so much free as already "charged to you' in the rate you pay. I would say sign up for absolutely everything you can because Regent is still making money.! Let me give you an example. I cruised on RSSC 2 years ago and did the Istanbul to Athens 7 day cruise. It cost each of us $5770 and we had a $500 shipboard credit for the stateroom. We took five excursions each and used the shipboard credit to pay for them. Currently, the rate for this cruise in the same Horizon View category is $11,395 per person. YES PER PERSON. I called to check. This is the "2 for 1" rate per person. It does include air (thank God) but seriously, you couldn't possibly do that many excursions to even warrant paying that price even if you were awake 24 hours a day. The excursions averaged $80 each and you could do one in the morning and one in the afternoon unless you had an all day excursion. You do the math! I would reconsider Regent for a while until their prices come back down to earth. Don't get me wrong. I loved Regent, but why would you pay twice the price. Nobody is that stupid.

...they also eliminated the 5% past cruisers discount which Regent told me on the phone was partly due to the addition of the excursions included so yes we are paying for them. I don't mind completely as I prefer paying a higher tariff and having an all inclusive environment. My concern on the inclusive excursions (which have a limited number of slots) is if something I really want to go on is "sold out" because everyone has rushed to book it since it was "free". I'd rather be able to better guarantee a slot by having to pay extra.

As for the general tariff extreme you mention, I think its just a supply and demand issue...they all charge what they believe they can get for a given cruise at a certain time of year/location somewhat regardless of number of days. They probably charged you too little for the demand of that cabin on that cruise since they now believe they can get nearly twice the tariff. The pricing is all over the place...some of the 7 dayers in the Mediterranean cost the same as a 19 day Pacific crossing. You just have to pick carefully for what you want. Fortunately Silversea and Seaborne are offering similar products which should help keep them all competitive. I certainly want them to make money so they can keep an expensive product afloat.

Shipless,

I'm looking at my invoice for my 4/7/2010 booking on the Mariner.

I did receive a "Seven Seas Society" (past cruiser) discount. This booking was made in April and it also includes "free excursions" and air, should I choose to use it. I suggest you have a talk with your travel agent.

Shipless,

I'm looking at my invoice for my 4/7/2010 booking on the Mariner.

I did receive a "Seven Seas Society" (past cruiser) discount. This booking was made in April and it also includes "free excursions" and air, should I choose to use it. I suggest you have a talk with your travel agent.

thanks San Jose,

I just spoke with Regent... it is my particular upcoming cruise this time (Holiday Mariner) that isn't offering the past cruise discount. I misunderstood that it had been eliminated completely when I originally checked on pricing before going to my agent. The Regent person had implied it was not offered due to the inclusive excursions. There are so many "discount" creations the marketing department comes up with (past cruisers, air credit, bonus credit, 2 for 1, shipboard credit, early booking credit etc) that it sometimes gets confusing to know what you're going to have to pay! ;-)

Kent

thanks San Jose,

I just spoke with Regent... it is my particular upcoming cruise this time (Holiday Mariner) that isn't offering the past cruise discount. I misunderstood that it had been eliminated completely when I originally checked on pricing before going to my agent. The Regent person had implied it was not offered due to the inclusive excursions. There are so many "discount" creations the marketing department comes up with (past cruisers, air credit, bonus credit, 2 for 1, shipboard credit, early booking credit etc) that it sometimes gets confusing to know what you're going to have to pay! ;-)

Kent

I think you are referring to the Seven Seas Society discount that is offered on some cruises for passengers who have sailed with Regent before. The onboard booking discount is also still there -- only the discount amount has decreased.

Archived