currency question for British Isles cruise

I'm taking the Princess British Isles cruise on the 23rd--England, Ireland, Scotland and France. Have excursions booked through Princess (I know, I know--independents are much cheaper; however, I have my mother along and she's not ready to try that yet). I know the currency in England is pounds and it's Euros in France. What is the currency for Scotland and Ireland? Thanks!

Scotland, England, Northern Ireland: Pounds Sterling. Each country issue their own bank notes, which (with exception of Bank of England notes) can be tricky to spend in the other country. Coins are the same and accepted in all areas.

Ireland (Republic of): Euro

The currency on board though will still be USD

England and Scotland are both Pounds Sterling. In Scotland you can pay with an English note, but you may recieve your change in Scottish notes, which are worth exactly the same in value but you'll find shops in England are reluctant to accept them!

Ask for your change in English notes when in Scotland! If they refuse, then don't despair because they can be changed back to English notes in any bank.

Enjoy your stay in the UK!

Tre.

Incidentally, the great advantage of Scottish currency is they still retain the £1 banknote, in addition to the awkward heavy coin used in the rest of the UK. Since each of four or five different banks issues their own design of currency, these Scottish £1 notes make interesting souvenirs.

Unfortunatly Bob the bank of Scotland and Clydesdale took the decision to withdraw all their £1 notes leaving only some very taty Royal bank ones in circulation. I kind of miss them though

Incidentally, the great advantage of Scottish currency is they still retain the £1 banknote, in addition to the awkward heavy coin used in the rest of the UK.
Unfortunatly Bob the bank of Scotland and Clydesdale took the decision to withdraw all their £1 notes leaving only some very taty Royal bank ones in circulation. I kind of miss them though
Ugh. £1 notes should have gone the way of the dodo a long time ago, like in England. The majority are truly tatty and disgusting. Even £5 notes are mostly pretty decrepit these days; it must soon be time for them to be replaced with practical coins.

Archived