Taking Laptop to use Skype?

lcds1

I want to be able connect back to my studio at home and make sure classes are going ok....We will be on Ruby Princess....I am just a gold member (one more to go til plat!)-

Is there a package to buy to use internet in your cabin? Or is the access still pretty slow

and skype phone calls wouldnt work?

Thanks!

I was able to use Skype on my iPhone on the Grand last winter. I used Fring which is a Skype client as Skype did not have an iPhone app at the time.

I was told by the crew member in the Internet Cafe that Skype was block and I would not bet able to use it. That was true in the area around the Internet Cafe and all around the atrium. However, I was able to connect and make a phone call over wifi while in my cabin. There are a number of wireless networks onboard; you just need to find the right one.

There was quite a delay in the audio reaching the person I was speaking with. I suggest you tell the people you intend to call that if they answer the phone and there seems to be nobody on the other end, it's you! Sound quality was good...you just have to wait for the delay.

Lew

Is there a package to buy to use internet in your cabin? Or is the access still pretty slow

The packages you can buy in the Internet Cafe can also be used in your cabin (if signal is available). Access will still be slow.

I have tried Skype on three ships now, the Caribbean, The Emerald, and the Tahatian and I could not get it to log on. Maybe they have it blocked.

Alan

Not sure how they would block it since Skype uses a random port each connection. More likely it is a bandwidth and slow connection issue. I have not had any luck yet either but I had an almost. I heard the phone ringing before it became garbled.

I used Magic Jack on both Emerald and Ruby and it worked great. On Ruby I could use it from my room on Lido deck - on Elerald I had to go out in an open space.

It was just like talking on a regulare phone for both sides - Love my Magic jack

Hi Everyone,

The manager of the internet cafe on the Diamond told us, rather sheepishly, that Skype to phone lines is blocked to make you use their celular network. We could use Skype to Skype via computer but not Skype to a land based phone or cell.

Happy cruising

Chris

I tried to use my magicJack phone on the Coral Princess in Alaska in July and found it was blocked by Princess. After two Pincess cruises, I have not a single other complaint, but blocking VOIP phones is low class, considering the outrageous cell or ship-to-shore rates. It's not like the internet access is free (to most).

I used Magic Jack on both Emerald and Ruby and it worked great. On Ruby I could use it from my room on Lido deck - on Elerald I had to go out in an open space.

It was just like talking on a regulare phone for both sides - Love my Magic jack

What did you use for a telephone. Did you unplug the stateroom phone and plug that into the MagicJack? Thanks!

DW was successful using Skype on our recent Royal cruise to South Am.

She used it in the pool area and had great pix but as previously

mentioned there was many problems with sound.

Yet she was able to communicate, but with delays

and weird sounds.

• 4 weeks later...

Using Skype eats up a lot of bandwidth. There is only so much to go around on a ship. When you do this you slow everyone else down. Same with uploading or sending pictures from the ship unless you have resized them to not be such hogs. And as mentioned Skype doesn't work all that well.

Please be considerate of others trying to use the Internet and don't Skype, and don't send huge picture files. We thank you!

Using Skype eats up a lot of bandwidth. There is only so much to go around on a ship. When you do this you slow everyone else down. Same with uploading or sending pictures from the ship unless you have resized them to not be such hogs. And as mentioned Skype doesn't work all that well.

Please be considerate of others trying to use the Internet and don't Skype, and don't send huge picture files. We thank you!

Very good point. I understand that sometimes you need to be able to reach home but if by using Skype or other bandwidth hogs someone who also needs to reach home and is using, and paying for, the Internet, it's not really fair. Not only do they have difficulty with a slow connection but you're costing everyone else money because it's taking more minutes for them than usual. I'm sure you don't care about that, but that's the result and the reality.

Your best bet is to use your cell phone when in port rather than hog the ship's Internet. Or, use the Internet. And, using a phone in a public area with others around is just plain rude.

Can someone please tell me what are the choices of internet packages available on the Grand? I would like to purchase the minimum "minutes" package. If I don't purchase a package, what is the cost per minute of usage? I read Princess offers bonus minutes when you purchase a package, is it only offer on the first day of the cruise?

Thank you in advance for your help.:)

Can someone please tell me what are the choices of internet packages available on the Grand? I would like to purchase the minimum "minutes" package. If I don't purchase a package, what is the cost per minute of usage? I read Princess offers bonus minutes when you purchase a package, is it only offer on the first day of the cruise?

Thank you in advance for your help.:)

Cost is 5 cents per minute, or youcan buy a package:

$55 = 100 minutes

$75 = 150

$100 = 250

$175 = 500

All are plus $3.95 sign up charge.

If you sign up the frst day you usually get 10 to 40 bonus minutes depending on the package you buy.

Cost is 5 cents per minute, or youcan buy a package:

$55 = 100 minutes

$75 = 150

$100 = 250

$175 = 500

All are plus $3.95 sign up charge.

If you sign up the frst day you usually get 10 to 40 bonus minutes depending on the package you buy.

Thank you Paul.

Did you mean to say 55 cents/minute? Or actually only 5 cents/minute? If I decide not to purchase a package, and lets say just use the internet for maybe 3 minutes to do one super short e-mail, I still need to pay the $3.95 sign up charge?

Thank you.

Archived