Royal Palms or Sea Grape?

NCMtnBoys

I hate to beat a dead horse...I do look at the threads but don't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for.

We will be sailing Enchantment in a few weeks and have decided to do beach days in both GC and Cozumel. We are looking to go to a beach that is NOT an all-inclusive (I would not get my money's worth) but that has a nice beach with lounges. We're not into snorkeling. We don't need a place with a lot of activities (water toys, etc).

I thought we might go to Sea Grape, however then I've been reading about Royal Palms. Do either of them charge an entrance fee? What are the fees to rent lounges and umbrellas? I don't have a problem with buying lunch there if they're going to let us access the beach for free.

I assume, also, that a taxi will take us to either place and also there will be plenty of them to take us back...wouldn't want to miss the ship!

Which would you choose? Is one better or offer better facilities than the other? It will be a Monday when we're there and we will be the only ship in port.

Thanks!

Check out your Royal Caribbean cruise beach stop tours for Grand Cayman. I recently read that "one" cruise line was using Sea Grapes as their destination for a beach day. This would mean crowds to me. Thus I would choose Royal Palm.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Both locations have roughly the same facilities available, with similar prices for rentals for the most part. Neither location charges an entrance fee. All beaches are free, it's only the facilities that people could charge for the use of, and that's usually only the hotels that bother. There will be tons of taxis to get you to and from both locations. Royal Palms is slightly closer to the pier, so the taxi ride is usually a couple of dollars cheaper.

I personally prefer Royal Palms, but I'd second what the PP said...check and see what beach the cruise ship excursion goes to, and head for the other one... :D

We have been to both......Seagrape is much more crowded, and has more water "toys". Both have beach loungers with umbrellas. We prefer Royal Palms, but walk down to the right and have a section of the beach alone. The water is beautiful on Seven Mile Beach. Taxis are a couple of dollars more to Sea Grape. Either place will have taxis available back to the pier. The restrooms and restaurant/bar are very nice at Royal Palms. There are also a couple of fast food places across the street within walking distance of Royal Palms.

We have been to both......Seagrape is much more crowded, and has more water "toys". Both have beach loungers with umbrellas. We prefer Royal Palms, but walk down to the right and have a section of the beach alone. The water is beautiful on Seven Mile Beach. Taxis are a couple of dollars more to Sea Grape. Either place will have taxis available back to the pier. The restrooms and restaurant/bar are very nice at Royal Palms. There are also a couple of fast food places across the street within walking distance of Royal Palms.

Are the taxi's hurting at all? Like, too many of them? maybe if so, it'd be good to negotiate a return trip with your cabbie? I've done that in mexico a few times and they're hungry. They were always waiting for me at the prescribed time.

Not sure if you sailed yet but here is my 2 cents. The Royal Palms was great. Plenty of cabs right at the port with signs saying Royal Palms. Cost of ride is per person. Once at beach we walked a little to the right and had the beach to ourselves. If you want an umbrella you will have to stay within the ropes which will be a little more crowded. We had lunch there at their tables with umbrellas. Reasonable too. There is also a covered bar if you like. Bring your snorkel and walk to the left. Several reefs with fish around. Plenty of cabs in parking lot at end of day for return trip. We just walked down the sidewalk and were wisked away to the nearest cab. They are eager to bring you wherever you want to go. Cheapest excusrion we went on!

I was wondering if Royal Palms is within walking distance from the cruise terminal. On our first cruise we started walking and met a gentleman that eventually led us to the Marriott, is Royal Palms closer or further? It was a nice walk and we made it back to the terminal with plenty of time. Hope someone can help me with this.

Irene

I was wondering if Royal Palms is within walking distance from the cruise terminal. On our first cruise we started walking and met a gentleman that eventually led us to the Marriott, is Royal Palms closer or further? It was a nice walk and we made it back to the terminal with plenty of time. Hope someone can help me with this.

Irene

I am unfamiliar with the Marriot property location, but my husband and I walk a lot. We have been quite a few times by taxi to Royal Palms, but never considered walking there. Taxis are $4 or $5 pp one way. Maybe someone who just returned remembers the exact cab fare.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

We haven't yet sailed, leaving on the 5th. Will be in GC on the 7th and have decided on Royal Palms. Lucky for us, we will be the ONLY ship in port that day, so I don't expect overflow crowds.

Happy sailing to everyone.

I am unfamiliar with the Marriot property location, but my husband and I walk a lot. We have been quite a few times by taxi to Royal Palms, but never considered walking there. Taxis are $4 or $5 pp one way. Maybe someone who just returned remembers the exact cab fare.

Thanks cruising grandma, was able to find a map of George Town. Looks like Royal Palms is a bit farther than the Marriott from the terminal/pier. Guess we'll decide what to do once we're there, walk or ride :D.

Irene

We stayed at a condo about a mile north of the Reef Grill/Royal Palms and I walked the beach every morning down to the Marriott to watch the cruise ships come in. It was a very nice walk at that hour of the day because the beach was largely shaded because the sun was not up over the buildings yet. It seems like it took me about an hour and a half round trip and that was a very leisurely walk. If you walked to the Marriott you could very easily walk the rest of the way. I would probably take a taxi back at the end of the day because it would be warmer then.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Thanks cruising grandma, was able to find a map of George Town. Looks like Royal Palms is a bit farther than the Marriott from the terminal/pier. Guess we'll decide what to do once we're there, walk or ride :D.

Irene

If Sea Grape is on your map, we did walk leisurely back down the beach from Sea Grape to Royal Palms, after taking a taxi to Sea Grape. We stopped along the way and got in the water.

We have also rented a car in Grand Cayman and driven to Rum Point, for something different. If you have a larger group than two, that might be another option. The roads are well marked, and driving was no problem. We prefer Royal Palms, but others like Cemetary Beach, Sea Grape or Rum Point better. Grand Cayman is a beautiful island with lots to see and do and friendly locals.

Thank you jean and grandma, we did have a leisurely walk both ways. We did a little bit of shopping at Del Sol before heading toward the beach, a t-shirt, those plastic rings that change color and just put it in our beach bag. Kept our watches set on our ship time and headed back with plenty of time.

There will be 12 in our group as of today, may go up to 16, all family :). Second time cruising for DD & SIL, 3rd for DH & I, the rest are all newbies. Our group includes two grandaughters 9 & 10, the rest range from 17-61. Would not want to split the group up due to the new kids on the block :). Will discuss our options with them, see what they'll want to do.

Thanks again!

Irene

In my opinion, it is too far to walk. Besides, the cab ride is short and cheap.

We were in Grand Cayman last Monday 8/24 off of the Enchantment (only ship in port that day)

We started our day at what used to be called Eden Rock (make a right off of the pier and wakl for about 5 minutes to the resturaunt on the coral, now called Paradise) to have some cocktails and feed the fish.

I asked the waitress for the price and location of the bus terminal (white Vans) to West Bay and Royal Palms. She said the the terminal was only a couple blocks up back towards the pier, inland about 50-100 yards, and the cost was $2.50 per person (I read here it was $2)

We started walking back to the pier and I asked one of the tour opperators (very large blue/gray van or small 'bus') advertizing Royal Palms for $4 per person, where the bus terminal was, and he said he would take us for $3 each.

So we hopped aboard, waited about 3-5 minutes while he tried to find other paxs, and took off to Royal Palms. Along the way he picked up a couple with a baby in a stroller, charged them $4 each, and then would slow down each time he saw a group of people walking towards the pier and Royal Palms, hawking his $4 fare.

He dropped us off at Royal Palms (about 11am) and honored his $3 price and asked how long we would be there, as he would come back at a appointed time, which we declined, as we didn't want to be on any schedule.

We left around 1:30, plenty of taxis BUT here is the drawback...these were vans where they load everyone one up to the last inch of available space, even having a adult woman sit on the floor on a 1 foot high stole, with non-working A/C and the windows closed...$4 each...most uncomfortable and hot 'taxi' ride we have had in our life!

Royal Palms has very little natural shade on the beach...go in and look all the way to your right by their property defining ropes, there is a rock wall under a tree, and a one picnic table on the other side of the wall, near their kitchen.

I was more than willing to pay $6 for lounge charis to bring under the tree and still be on their property in the shade, and they refused to rent us chairs for that area....their loss! We just took over the picnic table in the shade and had no worries the rest of the day at the beach.

This may be private property......There is a wooded area that is closeby that has a rock wall surrounding it.......if you walk on past the wooded private area, there is the owner's property also with the rock wall. There were signs stating it was a private area. The owner's home also has a wooden deck out on the beach. We saw him when we were there last. His home was a hotel years ago.

This may be private property......There is a wooded area that is closeby that has a rock wall surrounding it.......if you walk on past the wooded private area, there is the owner's property also with the rock wall. There were signs stating it was a private area. The owner's home also has a wooden deck out on the beach. We saw him when we were there last. His home was a hotel years ago.

I know the property your'e speaking of, including the the wooden deck that has a roof over it (looks like a Cabana)...very cool looking, took a couple of pics of it and the beach, looking up the surf, away from Royal Palms

The area with the picnic table is on Royal Palms property, as it had the ropes adjacent to it, towards that private property...it was more like a cement wall to sit on, behind that wall is where the picnic table was, you're to the right of the patio (if sitting at a patio chair, facing the sea) and were closer to their 'kitchen' area

I'm thinking the chair/umbrella attendant know my wife wanted to sit in the shade and since we were already under the shade of their lone tree, he figured by selling us no chairs for the shade, we'd want a chair on the beach, plus pay him the additional cost for umbrellas

I know the property your'e speaking of, including the the wooden deck that has a roof over it (looks like a Cabana)...very cool looking, took a couple of pics of it and the beach, looking up the surf, away from Royal Palms

The area with the picnic table is on Royal Palms property, as it had the ropes adjacent to it, towards that private property...it was more like a cement wall to sit on, behind that wall is where the picnic table was, you're to the right of the patio (if sitting at a patio chair, facing the sea) and were closer to their 'kitchen' area

I'm thinking the chair/umbrella attendant know my wife wanted to sit in the shade and since we were already under the shade of their lone tree, he figured by selling us no chairs for the shade, we'd want a chair on the beach, plus pay him the additional cost for umbrellas

Ok, I remember that area, now, by the showers/bathrooms and kitchen. We have climbed up over that wall.

My DH and I ususally just take beach towels and plop them in the shade of the deck(cabana), and get into the water.

Ok, I remember that area, now, by the showers/bathrooms and kitchen. We have climbed up over that wall.

My DH and I ususally just take beach towels and plop them in the shade of the deck(cabana), and get into the water.

Yep, I think we're talking about the same area...see attached...the deck/cabana just past Royal Palms

HPIM0586.jpg.4fa1ba67587fe50e05f10ce01f151c60.jpg

Are there no umbrellas available for rent at Royal Palms? Just loungers? what about sea grape?

Yes, Royal Palms does have umbrellas for rent, I think they charge the same for both lounge chairs and umbrellas at $6 US each...hopefully someone here will confirm that

check out below webcam from their beach (Reef Grill)...later in the day it should show umbrellas in use

http://www.reefgrill.net/netcam/index.html

Yes, Royal Palms does have umbrellas for rent, I think they charge the same for both lounge chairs and umbrellas at $6 US each...hopefully someone here will confirm that

check out below webcam from their beach (Reef Grill)...later in the day it should show umbrellas in use

Sure torture me and make me look at the beach in Grand Cayman while I am at work - shame on you!:p ( And looks like lots of loungers so far (some have my name on them? ...and I will certainly be checking for those umbrellas later (and wishing I was there....;) )

Sure torture me and make me look at the beach in Grand Cayman while I am at work - shame on you!:p ( And looks like lots of loungers so far (some have my name on them? ...and I will certainly be checking for those umbrellas later (and wishing I was there....;) )

Thanks for posting that link, Mace! And yes, shame on you for posting that while we sit at work. Poor Froufie and I are crying over here!:(

But soon enough we will be there:)

Archived