What is there to do in Nice?

dlhoward

I am definately going to Eze. If time I will also go to Nice. What is there to do there so I try to make enough time to go? I will probably be all churched out by the time I get finished with Italy.

You do not have to do any churches..or ruins...visit the old city and if there happens to be a market that day great if not just wander around..sit at a cafe with the girls and have a soda or coffe or whatever...just enjoy. If no time you can alwaus go back.I think I mentioned the old city in my other post.You can Google it as well to see if there is something you may want to check out.

Highly recommend the Chagall Museum in Nice too if you're at all interested in art.

Cruise Junky, you took the letters right off of my keyboard.:) We visited the wonderful Chagall Museum in June, created to Chagall's specifications primarily to host his wonderful Old Testament series. The museum is not too big, so not overwhelming, but absolutely unique. (There also is a Matisse Museum in Nice.)

The flower market in Old Nice is supposed to be lovely as well. (Unfortunately on Mondays, when we were in Nice in June, it is an "antiques"market, not flowers.)

I am definately going to Eze. I am worried about when we will get on a tender. Am I better off just sleeping in, getting breakfast, just getting a tender when available and only going to Eze? Or should I try to get out as early as I can by waiting in long lines for an early tender ticket so we can try to make Eze and Nice?

I am definately going to Eze. If time I will also go to Nice. What is there to do there so I try to make enough time to go? I will probably be all churched out by the time I get finished with Italy.

Hi,

Last September we stayed in Nice for two nights prior to boarding our ship in Monte Carlo. One day was used to go on a 6-hr tour with Michel of Revelation Tours (Going to St. Paul de Vence, Tourettes sur Loup & Valbonne), the rest of the time was spent exploring Old Town area.

We stayed at the Hotel Suisse, which is right outside the "Old Town" section. We thought Old Town was just delightful. Lots of small shops, lovely buildings (Opera house, Palais de Justice to name two), and several very good bakery & pastry shops. As previously mentioned, the Cours Saleva Flower Market is a sight to see in the main square of Old Town. Everyday except Monday till around noon time. You could easily spend a whole leisurely day around Old Town.

A couple of other considerations which I think our worthwhile:

Le Chateau

(From the top, it provides you with a spectaular view overlooking Nice, the Promenade des Anglais and the Bay des Anges).

From Old Town walk out to the Promenade des Anglais. Make a left and walk 5-minutes till you get to the Hotel Suisse. Just to the left of the hotels main entrance you will see stairs going up along the building. You can either take a nice slow walk up the stairs, or you can pay to take the elevator to the top. The view from the park at the top is worth the effort. Once at the top, if you walk along the park with your back toward the Promenade des Anglais you will come to an area which provides an overlook of the port area.

Monument des Morts

This is Nice's war memorial to all those lost by France.

Once you come down from Le Chateau, it you walk past the Hotel Suisse & continue around the bend, within a 1/4 mile you will arrive at the Monument des Morts. It is an impressive structure, and accross from it you have a good view of the port. There is a wonderful yellow 8-10 story building to your left, which I thought was definately picture worthy as well.

Enjoy, however you decide to spend your time.

Anthony

Archived