What are the top 5 dos and don'ts on Eurodam?

scomar

Why are these cabins undesireable?

thanks,

I think the issue with the VH cabins is that these cabins have solid metal railings versus the plexiglass ones. What this means is that you can't see through the balcony when you're seated in one of the deck chairs. If you're standing, there's no issue but if you like to sit and look out over the ocean or see the ports, etc., then the VH cabins aren't a great idea. I do think that some of the VF cabins also have the solid rails versus plexiglass - not sure about any of the higher categories, but it's all marked on the deck plans. I think the VH cabins are also right near the front of the ship, which a lot of people don't like because there's a lot of movement, it's a long walk to the dining room and the balconies can also be windy.

The issue with the VT cabins is that they don't have an actual full balcony. They have balconies that some call "micro" or "viewing" or "juliet" balconies, which means you can step out onto them and get some fresh air and look around, but you can't actually sit on the balcony and enjoy the views. Many people wonder why anyone would want to book a balcony that can only be used by two people standing up), so they aren't popular cabins. Others might not have an issue with this... they just want to be able to step outside and get some fresh air and see the views but they don't want to sit on the balcony... so it's a matter of preference.

I don't know what the specific issue is with booking an SZ cabin... it might be because of their location? We couldn't afford a suite, so I didn't really look into the options for that category, so perhaps someone else can answer?

Do have both Lunch and Dinner in the Tamarind as well as cocktails in Silk Den. Don't bother with the Wine Bar - Ever.

Brian, can you be more specific about why we should avoid the Wine Bar? Is it the selections, or ambience, or prices, or...?

Actually, I won't have much of a problem avoiding it because I can't find it on the Eurodam deck plan! And I haven't even had any wine yet today.

This is my first post! My cruise on the Eurodam is a long way off and I am thrilled I found this forum. I have not cruised since Sovereign of the Seas was first launched. It seems like a lifetime ago and in "cruise" time can be considered the dark ages. So much has changed in the last 20 years. I have many questions concerning protocol and pros and cons and appreciate all the posts on this thread.

Do you pay extra for the Tamarind and the Silk Den as well as the Pinnacle? Where do we go to book these?

How formal are the formal nights? Very dressy top and sandals for me and dark slacks and Navy blazer for him with tie?

Thanks, Sherry (newbie to HAL)

Brian, can you be more specific about why we should avoid the Wine Bar? Is it the selections, or ambience, or prices, or...?

Actually, I won't have much of a problem avoiding it because I can't find it on the Eurodam deck plan! And I haven't even had any wine yet today.

I'll answer for Brian since he's cruising. He can respond when he can.

It's the ambiance. The furniture looks---and feels!---like someone got carried away with an erector set.

Look for the Pinnacle Bar on the deck plans. It's directly across the passageway from the Pinnacle Grill.

Do you pay extra for the Tamarind and the Silk Den as well as the Pinnacle? Where do we go to book these?

How formal are the formal nights? Very dressy top and sandals for me and dark slacks and Navy blazer for him with tie?

Thanks, Sherry (newbie to HAL)

You can book the Tamarind when you board, by calling Ship Services in advance, or by booking on-line. The Silk Den is a lounge, so needs no reservations.

Formal means formal. It's compliance that may vary from ship to ship, and cruise to cruise. Although not formal, slacks, blue blazer, and tie do meet the minimal acceptable level of dress for a man.

I have booked mine about a month ago and I am sailing at the end of Jan 2010, I think you can pretty much book up straight away!:D

Do you get any sort of acknowledgement after you book? I think that I booked dinner at the Tamarind for my husband and me (on the Nieuw Amsterdam -- really far away!!) but I don't see any sort of acknowledgement so I don't know if I did it correctly or not. Is there any way to tell?

Thanks!

I think the issue with the VH cabins is that these cabins have solid metal railings versus the plexiglass ones. What this means is that you can't see through the balcony when you're seated in one of the deck chairs. If you're standing, there's no issue but if you like to sit and look out over the ocean or see the ports, etc., then the VH cabins aren't a great idea. I do think that some of the VF cabins also have the solid rails versus plexiglass...

We booked a VF cabin adjacent to a VD cabin and saved $800. Since then the price has gone up on the VF and now the difference is about $200. The VD rate remained the same. Had the price difference been $200 when we booked, we probably would have sprung for the VD. On 2 cruises on the QM2 we had a hull balcony with steel railings as well as a lifeboat view cabin with Plexiglas railings. Our problem with the hull balcony wasn't so much looking out, but the limited light coming into the cabin. Looking at external pictures of the Eurodam, it would appear that there will be plenty of light. I will admit that the Plexiglas was much more pleasant than the steel, but on our upcoming holiday sailing, we couldn't justify the $800 difference.

Archived