Princess moving to anytime dining only?

VTSnorkeler

JMOP...I think they are following their guidelines, some of us just don't like it. A guideline is any document that aims to streamline particular processes according to a set routine. By definition, following a guideline is never mandatory. Someone once said, rules are guidelines of the wise and observants of fools. So guidelines are not mandatory and the wise learn all the rules knowing which ones are being enforced and the ones worth breaking.

Before I get flamed, how many times have we sneaked booze on, or smile at our lovely table mates knowing they took their fair share on. Most are wise enough to learn this rule and smart enough to know without enforcement and true consequence it's safe to break. In history, breaking rules have propelled some to greatness (my hero Paul Bogle) and others in jail.

I haven't booked a sailing yet when td didn't waitlist at some point.

One of the problems I have seen is with ta's confirming their clients on either early or late traditional and then telling their clients......oh if you don't feel like it.. just go to the anytime dining rooms.

I feel this is wrong. I do wish they'd put a remark on everyone's card. Early Trad, Late Trad, Anytime. That way it would cut down on the waiting times in Anytime.. and help clear the waitlist backlog for traditional.

PCL is half of my business......75% of which...requests traditional dining.

I feel this is wrong. I do wish they'd put a remark on everyone's card. Early Trad, Late Trad, Anytime. That way it would cut down on the waiting times in Anytime.. and help clear the waitlist backlog for traditional.

What card are you talking about? A customer preference card that the T/A keeps? Or the cruise card used on board the ship.

If you are talking about the cruise card, it will have traditional dining indicated on it and the meal time. If traditional is not indicated, then it is anytime (indicated only by the lack of traditional).

They would absolutely, positively, Scouts Honor, have to guarantee that the table, with the same wait staff, same table mates would be ready when I entered the room for it to work for me.....it ain't gonna happen!!!!

On one of our previous trips last year my wife wanted to try TD for the first time since they started AD & we were checking with the Maiter D' the first day to see if we could get a seat. Of course they were full & the assistant assigning tables volunteered to give us a designated spot each evening in the AD room explaining that they do this all the time for people who want TD & can't get it.

Since that trip my wife has learned that there is no longer any difference between the two dining options (at one time in the beginning of AD there was) and from now on always do AD.

If you request a specific table & time at the start of the cruise - you will get it but if you wait a few days it almost becomes impossible. (especially a table for 2)

...Since that trip my wife has learned that there is no longer any difference between the two dining options (at one time in the beginning of AD there was) and from now on always do AD...
We were confirmed late-seating-only people for years, even to the extent that we would not book a cruise if late seating was not available. Our last three or four cruise have been AD and our experience has been similar to your own. On our last cruise, our group was seated with a fantastic waiter and assistant on the second evening and we were able to reserve that table for the remainder of the cruise. We simply let them know which evenings we intended to go elsewhere.

Well glad you don't make the rules!!! I followed Princess rules and they allowed me to do this, in fact encouraged me to do so.:cool:

You inspired me. I have switched my next two cruises to Traditional, and if I feel like it (and I am 99% sure I will) once aboard, I'll ask to go back to anytime dining as I have been told it will be no problem to move from TD to AD. :rolleyes:

Of course, I have effectively blocked two cruises worth of TD out for someone booking these cruises later than I did... but I am also playing by the rules. :p

You inspired me. I have switched my next two cruises to Traditional, and if I feel like it (and I am 99% sure I will) once aboard, I'll ask to go back to anytime dining as I have been told it will be no problem to move from TD to AD. :rolleyes:

Of course, I have effectively blocked two cruises worth of TD out for someone booking these cruises later than I did... but I am also playing by the rules. :p

Yup, no problem. But it is inconsiderate to anytime diners.

It's different than passengers bringing on own booze since other passengers aren't directly impacted.

Yep, I too am rolling my eyes here...

I stand by my post...

I would challenge anyone here to come up with way that Traditional Dining - AND - Anytime Dining whenever one wishes, is a valid and is according to Princess rules and guidelines... It is clear that there are two choices here... and I don't see and 'and' or an 'or' in either of them .

I have NO problem with Princess' "rules".. Whether it be dining preferences, children in certain areas, etc... pool chair saving, etc... (don't ask me to list every single one of these hot button issues....) The problem is the lack of following or enforcement of the rules...

The problem is that Princess, along with almost every other cruise line, seems to be so afraid to offend the few, the proud, the 'all about me'... to keep these passengers happy... That they screw rule abiding passengers by allowing nearsighted and self-serving passengers to run amok all over the rules... So, yes, in effect, that is what I do not like about the situation.

And, what makes it worse, is that everybody who has 'gotten by' a rule, comes on here, proudly proclaiming such, and encouraging everyone else to do the same... :rolleyes:

Yup, no problem. But it is inconsiderate to anytime diners.

It's different than passengers bringing on own booze since other passengers aren't directly impacted.

I sooooo agree...

I have yet to hear of one single passenger who had their baggage searched and was denied bringing any drinks or alcoholic beverages. Is that even in writing anywhere???

And, yes, the larger point is that this does not affect any other passengers in a negative way.

PS: I think that Asixth was being very tongue-in-cheek and was pointing out how inappropriate this breaking and stretching of the rules really is.

Like, hey, you did it, I'll do it too... Screw everybody else.

Want a table for two - Mosey on down to Anytime...

Don't like my tablemates in TD... Mosey on down to Anytime...

Want to make an early or late entertainment venue... Mosey on down to Anytime...

Want to choose to go ashore and come back early/late... Mosey on down to Anytime...

Wow... Just wow....

It's written in black and white (white)on page 23 of the Cruise Answer Book

cPrincess Cruises 2008 Effective January 2009. From reading the book and contract this is one of the few things that is written in black and white clearly about dining.

Note: Once onboard and subject to availability, you may switch from Traditional to Anytime with 24 hours notice to the MaitreD'.

When I don't like the rules in place, I start to consider other options and choices. I don't like Princess rule of playing PG and PG13 movies on all day on Muts, so I might opt not to take my kids on another Princess cruise. I am not going to knock people who get excited about this option even though Princess mislead me to believe Muts was under the stars. By doing this they took away an entire deck for me to hang out with my kids. If they offered me a free cruise as a result of misrepresentation, I would ask them to transfer OBC to Carnival for family fun. If they offer me an aft balcony 'dem' kids are staying with granny and mom and pop are going to have fun getting out the stress of Muts. If they offer me a suite, I will be one of the posters who knock everyone who thinks Princess is not perfect......how dare them, what do they know. Oops, not yet, I haven't gotten a response from the email I sent :-)

It's written in black and white (white)on page 23 of the Cruise Answer Book

cPrincess Cruises 2008 Effective January 2009. From reading the book and contract this is one of the few things that is written in black and white clearly about dining.

Note: Once onboard and subject to availability, you may switch from Traditional to Anytime with 24 hours notice to the MaitreD'.

My interpretation of this rule/guideline is that you can switch from traditional to anytime dining for the remainder of the cruise -not to switch evening to evening.

My interpretation of this rule/guideline is that you can switch from traditional to anytime dining for the remainder of the cruise -not to switch evening to evening.

Which is what I did:p

However when I went to switch the MaitreD' gave me option to keep TD and eat in the AT for that evening. I was late from an excursion and he thought that was the only reason for the switch....it wasn't. Once I did the switch they NEVER checked my pass. Our table sat empty in TD for the rest of the cruise. I figured like Muts this is what I paid for, suck it up.

No, I paid for Muts- Movies Under the Stars but got Madd-Movies All damn Day. Ships happen on deck:D If I sail Princess again, this might be another area to adjust, even lower my expectation/standard. Sometimes we do get what we pay for:eek:

You were catered too.... You got your nice seat and service in AD (possibly MY seat, or somebody elses seat), and still had your seat in TD... And you can call this 'sucking it up'???

I certainly hope that I am misunderstanding something here.

It is hard to say that one has a problem with the 'rules'... When rules never seem to be followed/enforced anyhow.

I agree with the above poster, this is not about switching ones dining preference...

This is about Traditional Diners freely thinking that they can simply walk up and get a table (for just the one evening :rolleyes:) in AnyTime dining... Without 24 hours notice... Without ever giving up their seat in TD.

Just because Princess is just TOO accomodating to such passengers, whose only thought is their own convenience... does not really make it 'right'.

And recent posts would indicate that this IS happening in ever increasing numbers...

And, it especially doesn't make it right to come on a public message board and actually encourage others to repeat the same disrespectful (to other AD passengers) behavior.

But, hey, I know I am coming off the wrong way here...

I am really just stating the obvious....

If I have to wait 30 minutes because a slew of other, TD, passengers just felt entitled to walk up and be seated in the Anytime dining room... I will just sit and enjoy my cold libation and have a great time. :p

If I have to wait 30 minutes because a slew of other, TD, passengers just felt entitled to walk up and be seated in the Anytime dining room... I will just sit and enjoy my cold libation and have a great time. :p

What about the slew of anytime diners that have reservations each night that just don't show up? :confused:

Works both ways.

You were catered too.... You got your nice seat in AD (possibly MY seat, or somebody elses seat), and still had your seat in TD... And you can call this 'sucking it up'???

I certainly hope that I am misunderstanding something here.

I agree with the above poster, this is not about switching ones dining preference...

This is about Traditional Diners freely thinking that they can simply walk up and get a table (for just the one evening :rolleyes:) in AnyTime dining... Without 24 hours notice... Without ever giving up their seat in TD.

Just because Princess is just TOO accomodating to such passengers, whose only thought is their own convenience... does not really make it 'right'.

And recent posts would indicate that this IS happening in ever increasing numbers...

And, it especially doesn't make it right to come on a public message board and actually encourage others to repeat the same disrespectful (to other AD passengers) behavior.

But, hey, I know I am coming off the wrong way here...

I am really just stating the obvious....

I did not accept the seat in AT even thought it was offered without asking, wearing jeans. However I paying Princess and NOT CC for my vacation, I would opt for what the MaitreD' allowed. Honestly if they don't tell me how to run my kitchen I won't tell them how to run their dining room. If they are not running it to my liking, I have a choice. I am simply stating what happened so others can go knowing what to expect. Why is telling the truth here seem so disturbing. Knowing the truth set some free to make different/better choices or adjust expectation. Yes, Princess remains a vacation choice because they will try to accommodate when possible. One man's accommodation may easily be another's inconvenience....life/vacation goes on. If everyone here stops ordering extra dessert because of a new conscientiousness in world hunger, should I stop as well:confused:

The truth is the only person I thought about when the table was offered was ME. At that moment I did not want or need it. In that moment the Maitre'D had my entire trust in his ability to do his job. I would have never demanded it. I did not demand to share a table on Sapphire Princess when I was repeatedly seated at a table for 2. I asked to share, was told no for the most part ,so I respected they were doing thier job. Five of 7 nights I was seated at a table for 2, eventhough I was willing to share and wait, 30 minutes need be. They said if I wanted to dine anytime soon, I would need to take the table for 2, so I did :-).

I did not accept the seat in AT even thought it was offered without asking, wearing jeans. However I paying Princess and NOT CC for my vacation, I would opt for what the MaitreD' allowed. Honestly if they don't tell me how to run my kitchen I won't tell them how to run their dining room. If they are not running it to my liking, I have a choice. I am simply stating what happened so others can go knowing what to expect. Why is telling the truth here seem so disturbing. Knowing the truth set some free to make different/better choices or adjust expectation. Yes, Princess remains a vacation choice because they will try to accommodate when possible. One man's accommodation may easily be another's inconvenience....life/vacation goes on. If everyone here stops ordering extra dessert because of a new conscientiousness in world hunger, should I stop as well:confused:

The truth is the only person I thought about when the table was offered was ME. At that moment I did not want or need it. In that moment the Maitre'D had my entire trust in his ability to do his job. I would have never demanded it. I did not demand to share a table on Sapphire Princess when I was repeatedly seated at a table for 2. I asked to share, was told no for the most part ,so I respected they were doing thier job. Five of 7 nights I was seated at a table for 2, eventhough I was willing to share and wait, 30 minutes need be. They said if I wanted to dine anytime soon, I would need to take the table for 2, so I did :-).

Is there ever a possibility for you to respond to anything without an entire ranting soliloquy?

It would be nice if TAs would just explain things to those new to cruising or Princess that they can select TD or AD, but not go back and forth (as it would be inconsiderate, no matter how you dice it, for diners in both groups). It would be nice if there was a card in the cabin (easily visible, and not covered by flyers for the spa, etc.) that said which dining you are assigned to and which dining rooms you can dine in (besides the TD or AD, the specialty ones, and the Horizon). And a sentence that explains that if you have TD and can't make your seating, the Horizon is available for your dining pleasure.

And it would be nice if the maitre'ds check the cards.

BTW, we don't sneak booze onboard. My hubby's wine is visible in our beverage crate. And the reason I take soda is that I detest Coke products and need my Dew to ward off migraines. We follow the dress code, at least for the dinner seating (or eat in the buffet), but we might change afterwards. And we eat dinners in only the traditional dining room or the Horizon. NO ifs and or buts. (and our daughter is either in the Fun Zone or under our supervision)

It would be nice if TAs would just explain things to those new to cruising or Princess that they can select TD or AD' date=' but not go back and forth (as it would be inconsiderate, no matter how you dice it, for diners in both groups). It would be nice if there was a card in the cabin (easily visible, and not covered by flyers for the spa, etc.) that said which dining you are assigned to and which dining rooms you can dine in (besides the TD or AD, the specialty ones, and the Horizon). And a sentence that explains that if you have TD and can't make your seating, the Horizon is available for your dining pleasure.

[/quote']

This won't work with all the misinformation TA's already have.

Its tough enough to get the correct scoop direct from Princess!

It would be nice if TAs would just explain things to those new to cruising or Princess that they can select TD or AD' date=' but not go back and forth (as it would be inconsiderate, no matter how you dice it, for diners in both groups). It would be nice if there was a card in the cabin (easily visible, and not covered by flyers for the spa, etc.) that said which dining you are assigned to and which dining rooms you can dine in (besides the TD or AD, the specialty ones, and the Horizon). And a sentence that explains that if you have TD and can't make your seating, the Horizon is available for your dining pleasure.

And it would be nice if the maitre'ds check the cards.

BTW, we don't sneak booze onboard. My hubby's wine is visible in our beverage crate. And the reason I take soda is that I detest Coke products and need my Dew to ward off migraines. We follow the dress code, at least for the dinner seating (or eat in the buffet), but we might change afterwards. And we eat dinners in only the traditional dining room or the Horizon. NO ifs and or buts. (and our daughter is either in the Fun Zone or under our supervision)[/quote']

My mother had similar problem but her tonic was Pepsi so she got some caffein pills and did away with the sugard soda..

Archived