Beware of oceania cruises

Master Echo

Oceania Cruises’ Visa Rip-Off

We’ve just returned from an Eastern Mediterranean cruise on Nautica, during which we called at 2 ports in Egypt and concluded our voyage in Turkey. Before going, we researched visa requirements.

The Egyptian Government website said no visa was needed for day visitors, yet Oceania advised it was going to obtain a visa for us and charge $49 each for the privilege. We argued this was not necessary, provided proof from the Egyptian Government website but Oceania said it was not interested in what the country’s website said, it was their company policy. We spoke to the Egyptian immigration staff who came on board Nautica and they confirmed a visa was not required; all we needed was a stamp in our passports, which was free! Nevertheless, Oceania still charged us $49 each for something we didn’t need. We are disputing the charge via our credit card company.

For passengers embarking or disembarking in Turkey (but not just day visitors) Turkish immigration levies a tourist tax. For the British, this is £10 and possibly $20 for Americans. Those from New Zealand pay nothing. Guess what, Oceania kindly obtain this on your behalf, without giving you the opportunity to obtain it yourself in Turkey, and charge a further $49 each. We knew we would need to pay this tourist tax because we were disembarking in Istanbul. When we were in Kusadasi the day before, we managed to obtain from the Turkish immigration staff the relevant visa at a cost of £10 per head, and they issued us with our stamp in the passport and so saved the $49 fee from Oceania.

We understand Oceania Cruises might not be the only cruise line that uses bogus visa charges as a money-making ruse. Many passengers on our cruise were incensed by this. So beware if you are visiting Egypt in particular, and or any country requiring visitor to have a visa.

Oh, and Oceania has hiked its drinks gratuity to 18%, charging for a mediocre Californian red, $42 per bottle plus the aforementioned 18%. Staff gratuities also have increased to $12.50 per day, and an extra $4 per day if you occupy a penthouse/owners suite. I wonder whether the crew have had 20% pay rises since last year?

In common with nearly all lines, cruise fares are heavily discounted with often substantial onboard credits as an extra incentive, and upgraded cabins, giving the impression that passengers are saving a great deal of money. There are now a large number who are charging exorbitant prices once the passenger is on board, for items, which were not “extra” originally. The lasting impression is that they will make you part with your money by fair means or foul.

There is therefore a lot to be said for the companies who offer an “inclusive” cruise, e.g. Silversea, which whilst seemingly more expensive, will work out competitively when compared to the lines who have all these stealth charges.

I guess I was happy with just about every aspect of my cruise on Oceania that I overlooked the issue about Visa charges. A couple from Great Britain did mention it at dinner one night, but I didn't let it bother me. Although it was not an issue for me, I think you have a valid issue.

Also I usually pay additional amounts for gratuities. I would only be upset if the crew did not get the whole amount of the gratuity increase. I hope others can vouch for the total amount of gratuity increase being given to the crew. Also the decrease in percentages of ship capacity has cut the income for the crew; so, I was in favor of any help given to maintain their income level.

We purchased our Turkish visa for our September 2008 Nautica Istanbul to Athens cruise at the Istanbul airport upon our arrival for $20 each, a one-minute event in at the visa booth right before passport control.

Purchasing this visa through Oceania was an option, not a requirement, just as transfers to and from the ship are an option.

We also paid the same staff and drink gratuities on that cruise (our first ever) last September as for our cruise this past June, so the increase has been in effect at least that long.

Anytime I have booked clients on a cruise including Oceania when they have needed a Visa, they have been given the option to purchase ahead of time, or purchase from the cruiseline. The cruise line is doing it as an added service, and it is a good one, if you are there for one day in Egypt you would not need the visa, but if you were to miss the ship, your life is certainly much easier if you have one.

Oceania Cruises’ Visa Rip-Off

We’ve just returned from an Eastern Mediterranean cruise on Nautica, during which we called at 2 ports in Egypt and concluded our voyage in Turkey. Before going, we researched visa requirements.

The Egyptian Government website said no visa was needed for day visitors, yet Oceania advised it was going to obtain a visa for us and charge $49 each for the privilege. We argued this was not necessary, provided proof from the Egyptian Government website but Oceania said it was not interested in what the country’s website said, it was their company policy. We spoke to the Egyptian immigration staff who came on board Nautica and they confirmed a visa was not required; all we needed was a stamp in our passports, which was free! Nevertheless, Oceania still charged us $49 each for something we didn’t need. We are disputing the charge via our credit card company.

For passengers embarking or disembarking in Turkey (but not just day visitors) Turkish immigration levies a tourist tax. For the British, this is £10 and possibly $20 for Americans. Those from New Zealand pay nothing. Guess what, Oceania kindly obtain this on your behalf, without giving you the opportunity to obtain it yourself in Turkey, and charge a further $49 each. We knew we would need to pay this tourist tax because we were disembarking in Istanbul. When we were in Kusadasi the day before, we managed to obtain from the Turkish immigration staff the relevant visa at a cost of £10 per head, and they issued us with our stamp in the passport and so saved the $49 fee from Oceania.

We understand Oceania Cruises might not be the only cruise line that uses bogus visa charges as a money-making ruse. Many passengers on our cruise were incensed by this. So beware if you are visiting Egypt in particular, and or any country requiring visitor to have a visa.

Oh, and Oceania has hiked its drinks gratuity to 18%, charging for a mediocre Californian red, $42 per bottle plus the aforementioned 18%. Staff gratuities also have increased to $12.50 per day, and an extra $4 per day if you occupy a penthouse/owners suite. I wonder whether the crew have had 20% pay rises since last year?

In common with nearly all lines, cruise fares are heavily discounted with often substantial onboard credits as an extra incentive, and upgraded cabins, giving the impression that passengers are saving a great deal of money. There are now a large number who are charging exorbitant prices once the passenger is on board, for items, which were not “extra” originally. The lasting impression is that they will make you part with your money by fair means or foul.

There is therefore a lot to be said for the companies who offer an “inclusive” cruise, e.g. Silversea, which whilst seemingly more expensive, will work out competitively when compared to the lines who have all these stealth charges.

If you arrive or disembark in Turkey a VISA is required.

So I am unclear of your complaint if you obtained your own VISA for Turkey what is the beef??

As far as I know the 18% has always been on drinks etc.. on O

Interesting as LAexNY pointed out, that this is a first time poster.

The 18% on the drinks and wine and the $12.50 a day gratuities are not new. I have been on 2 previous Oceania cruises 2007 and 2008 and those rates were in effect.

The Visas are optional thru Oceania. You can get your own and we all know from reading these boards how simple it is to get one at the Istanbul airport for $20USD pp.

Regarding the Egytian Visa, perhaps it is not needed for a day visit but what about an overnight?

Good point about having it, if you miss the ship.

Master Echo, get yourself a good travel agent and your grats will be comped.

If you embark in Istanbul you can get the visa at the airport for $20. However if you disembark there or it is one of your ports you need to get the visa either from the ship or have obtained it beforehand. I think the OP's point (and it really shouldn't matter whether this is his first post or not) is that charging $49 for what should cost $20 is very expensive and a big profit center for Oceania. I was recently on a cruise that ended in Istanbul and the cruise line (not Oceania) informed us that they were charging $99 pp for Turkish visas. Well, you have never seen such an uproar, to the extent the the president of the cruise line (who was on because it was a maiden voyage) made it her business to cancel any fee and sent letters of apology to each cabin. Yes, it's a service they perform and yes, they are entitled to something for the service but $29 extra to have someone stamp your passport is excessive imo.

If you embark in Istanbul you can get the visa at the airport for $20. However if you disembark there or it is one of your ports you need to get the visa either from the ship or have obtained it beforehand. I think the OP's point (and it really shouldn't matter whether this is his first post or not) is that charging $49 for what should cost $20 is very expensive and a big profit center for Oceania.

You are free to obtain the stamp ahead of time.

If you do not want to go to the trouble the cruise line will do it for you for a fee.

It is your choice

the same as transfer to the ship or pre/post hotel stays...they are more expensive than doing it yourself but you have that choice

Not sure why it matters if someone posts for the first time or not on a subject such as this - they have a beef albeit not necessarily one that is the cruise line's fault.

As stated the gratuity rates haven't changed recently, if you don't like the price of the wine, don't buy it. That's your choice to make.

Re Turkey - as we spent 4 days in Istanbul post-cruise we obtained our visas from the Turkish embassy in Toronto through our TA for much less than O charged. That also was our choice to make and O did not attempt to force upon us any additional fees. If you want something done for you there is a fee and any company is entitled to receive compensation for that service - if you don't like the fee, you have the choice.

Re Egypt - no comment as I have no first hand experience with that issue.

We were in Egypt in 2007, and I have no recollection of needing to have visas. True, we did only take Oceania tours, the 13-hour Giza-Cairo bus trip on the first day, and the Alexandria city tour the next. I remember leaving the Egyptian Museum a little early, and walking around the neighborhood - no problem(s). I suppose I could have skipped the Museum completely and taken off for points unknown, so long as I was back for the return trip to Alexandria. Same thing in Turkey - we spent a day in Antalya (Perge and Aspendos), and another in Kusadasi, and I don't remember anything about visas in either city. And we walked about freely in both places. Might the visa fees have simply been integrated into the costs of the tours? And, yet, we were on our own for a good deal of time....

Same thing in Turkey - we spent a day in Antalya (Perge and Aspendos), and another in Kusadasi,

If you were not embarking or disembarking in Turkey no VISA is required.

Perhaps you had the Egypt stamp in your passport when the ship was cleared :confused:

I have no experience with Egypt

Lyn

We'll be leaving on the Nautica on Friday. Will will embark in Athens and disembark in Istanbul. Does that mean we can buy the visa halfway down in Kusadasi at the immigration and customs office over there?

Reint

Oceania requires that passengers be in possession of a Turkish visa prior to boarding the ship.

Shari

ShariCruz

We have traveled on Oceania and love it. I read and RE-READ all of the fine print before our cruise so that there would be no suprizes. Some of the fees are agrivating, but---------We consider that part of the cost of the trip. We used Oceania's transfers, took several of their tours, and drank wine. We tipped extra at the end because we were treated so well. I thought our experience was worth every dime we spent. It was wonderful to NOT have to worry about little details and let them take care of it.

Oceania requires that passengers be in possession of a Turkish visa prior to boarding the ship.
Last October, we chose our Eastern Mediterranean voyage from Venice to Athens with only one port Kusudasi in Turkey. This way, not only did we not need visas, we avoided spending days or flying in or out of middle eastern airports. It appears that such benefits are appreciated by many people.

I think the crux of the OP's complaint was that Oceania forced these visa charges on him/her and gave him/her no alternative, even if a less costly one was available.

You are never forced ....you have the option of getting your own VISAS for any cruise line or land trip.

You need to do your "due diligence" !!

Lyn

We opted to purchase our Turkey visas through Oceania for our May 2009 voyage on Nautica. We were fully aware that we would pay a premium (more than 100% markup) for this service. When we arrived in the Istanbul airport after 3 flights from the West Coast and saw a queue of at least 300 people lined up to purchase visas, we did not regret a penny of the extra cost.

We have traveled extensively for many years and prefer to book our own air/tour arrangements, but sometimes convenience trumps economics.

Yes, it is true that we have the choice of obtaining the visa ourselves beforehand or on the ship, a service which Oceania provides. However, does Oceania in its precruise documents inform us that if we wait to get it on the ship they will charge us $49? In all fairness we should be warned what the cost will be so we can make a more informed decision, and not at the last minute on board when it is too late to do anything about it. Then if we choose convenience over cost it is because we are willing to do so.

Yes, it is true that we have the choice of obtaining the visa ourselves beforehand or on the ship, a service which Oceania provides. However, does Oceania in its precruise documents inform us that if we wait to get it on the ship they will charge us $49? In all fairness we should be warned what the cost will be so we can make a more informed decision, and not at the last minute on board when it is too late to do anything about it. Then if we choose convenience over cost it is because we are willing to do so.

The Turkish Visa is not taken care of on the ship. If you choose to purchase it through Oceania, it comes in the cruise vacation guide which is mailed to you. It is a stamp that you put in your passport.

Shari

ShariCruz

Sounds like OP may need a new travel agent. We were advised by our TA that we had the option of obtaining the visa on our own, verifying the information on the Oceania web site. I had already checked the requirements on the Turkish consulate website and found it not worth the effort; so we obtained visa through O.

Unfortunately, I had placed it in a "very safe place " before driving over 150 miles to my sister's house to fly out the next day with her. Upon reaching her house and realizing that the visa was still at my house, I called the O office in Miami and was advised that I could not purchase another on board, so it was back to pick up visa and return trip in less than 12 hours. On board Nautica, I was told that I could have purchased another visa on board. I guess it was better to be safe than sorry, but would appreciate clarification. I wondered if the visa could have been purchased at Kusadasi which was our first port in Turkey.

Archived