Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

What's a good hotel to stay in the day before our March 10, 2013 cruise? Do any have shuttle from airport, then to port next day?

//////////////

I have been quiet for the past couple of months. I have a blog about all things Ft Lauderdale that I made a promise to myself would be updated daily. Instead, I have been kind of busy with my other life outside of the States, and have neglected it. I'm back and making sure that any new updates get posted there timely. Questions...fire away.

Bequia

////////////

I would like a bit of help with Orlando going to Fort Lauderdale.

We're in Orlando until about 5pm on Friday Dec 7. I've just booked the Eurodam leaving Fort Lauderdale on Dec 8.

It looks like renting a car is the best way from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale. However, should we stay in Orlando Friday night then head to FLL airport in the morning, return the car, then take a shuttle?

Or can we drive to Fort Lauderdale Friday night? I prefer going to Fort Lauderdale on Friday so that we are not so rushed on Saturday morning (it's our first cruise so I'd rather be safe). However, if we go to Fort Lauderdale on Friday night, I'm not sure how we're going to return the car and get to the port?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

We're in Orlando until about 5pm on Friday Dec 7. I've just booked the Eurodam leaving Fort Lauderdale on Dec 8.

It looks like renting a car is the best way from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale. However, should we stay in Orlando Friday night then head to FLL airport in the morning, return the car, then take a shuttle?

Or can we drive to Fort Lauderdale Friday night? I prefer going to Fort Lauderdale on Friday so that we are not so rushed on Saturday morning (it's our first cruise so I'd rather be safe). However, if we go to Fort Lauderdale on Friday night, I'm not sure how we're going to return the car and get to the port?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

You could drive to Fort Laud Friday evening, stop for dinner at Lester's Diner, drop the car off at the airport, then get Hampton Inn FLL North to pick you up, host you overnight, feed you breakfast in the morning, and take you to the port in the morning, all for the price of the hotel room. Their airport shuttle runs 24 hrs in case you are running late.

Ugh! Lester's?- OK if you like green gravy and truck stop food.

There are SOOO many better places, especially if you're looking for a taste of Fort Lauderdale- if you're looking for cheap and safe and fried/grilled seafood served in plastic baskets you could go to Southport Raw Bar... Good bar food @ Quarterdek, steak @ Chuck's, and the list goes on.

Not to mention, depending on who you've rented the car from there are other drop-off locations than FLL- Budget's QUAY CENTER BUDGET CAR RENTAL

1515 SE 17TH STREET SUITE 117, comes to mind.

-s

Uhh...Lester's is a longtime staple......and I love Diner food:D

just like I love 5 star food....just depends on my mood........

It varies all the time....depends on what I feel like eating.

quote:

"Ugh! Lester's?- OK if you like green gravy and truck stop food."

Tell us how you really feel.......;):eek:

Quistie needed a solid plan. They aren't leaving Orlando until after 5 PM on a Friday, in rush hour. Many off-airport rental car locations are not open 24/7. I could be wrongly assuming the airport rentals are open 24/7; if not, Quistie will need to return the car in the morning. The reason that I suggested Lester's is that it is easy to find, very close to the airport, and open 24 hrs in case their road trip gets delayed. Of course there are better places, but Lester's is packed at lunchtime and breakfast-time (and it's a pretty big diner), so somebody must like it.

Edited by royalcruz

Quistie needed a solid plan. They aren't leaving Orlando until after 5 PM on a Friday, in rush hour. Many off-airport rental car locations are not open 24/7. I could be wrongly assuming the airport rentals are open 24/7; if not, Quistie will need to return the car in the morning. The reason that I suggested Lester's is that it is easy to find, very close to the airport, and open 24 hrs in case their road trip gets delayed. Of course there are better places, but Lester's is packed at lunchtime and breakfast-time (and it's a pretty big diner), so somebody must like it.

Thank you! and MisterMoon and as well. Actually both food suggestions appeal to us (cheap and fast). we can save the fancy dinners for the cruise.

I looked into the Hampton Inn as suggested. It is the Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Port that offers the shuttle? I also found a Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport, which didn't mention anything about shuttles.

Also did more research on car rentals. I think it might even be a bit cheaper just to rent from Orlando, park the car during the cruise, and then return it to Orlando since we're spending a few days at Disney after the cruise. If that's the case, Does the Hampton Inn offer cruise parking? I checked the website, but it wasn't clear whether it does or provide rates.

I did see a previous post about hotels with cruise parking packages, but most of them only provide shuttle TO the port, but not back. If I pick one of those (let's say, the Hilton Garden), how do I get back to the port after my cruise?

Back from the port? Taxis are cheap and plentiful in the area. Maybe $15 or so per cab.

Check out the Sleep Inn; although we didn't have a car, I think I have heard on here that they have cruise parking as well as a shuttle to the port (but probably not back from the port).

Also did more research on car rentals. I think it might even be a bit cheaper just to rent from Orlando, park the car during the cruise, and then return it to Orlando since we're spending a few days at Disney after the cruise. If that's the case, Does the Hampton Inn offer cruise parking? I checked the website, but it wasn't clear whether it does or provide rates.

I did see a previous post about hotels with cruise parking packages, but most of them only provide shuttle TO the port, but not back. If I pick one of those (let's say, the Hilton Garden), how do I get back to the port after my cruise?

Usually the hotels charge extra for parking. If that is the case there is parking at the port. Just check the Home Port page with Ft Lauderdale.

Norine

Thank you! and MisterMoon and as well. Actually both food suggestions appeal to us (cheap and fast). we can save the fancy dinners for the cruise.

I looked into the Hampton Inn as suggested. It is the Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Port that offers the shuttle? I also found a Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport, which didn't mention anything about shuttles.

Yes, hampton inn fort lauderdale airport north port will shuttle you to the port for free. They have free cruise parking, but call the desk directly to see if they are still offering this. If they don't pick you up after the cruise, a taxi will only cost $10-15 back to your car. A taxi from the port to Hilton Garden Inn will cost $15-20. There is another Hampton Inn (FLL south) near the Hilton Garden Inn which did have free port shuttle service and cruise parking, but the website no longer says this, so check with the hotel directly.

does anyone know what hotel would fall under a 3 1/2 star Los Olas Downtown from Hotwire.

That is probably the Riverside Hotel, per BetterBidding. (It could also be Embassy Suites but I haven't heard of anyone here getting that one on Hotwire lately).

Staying here end of November - can you recommend a good place to eat near this hotel. Thank you in advance. :D:D:D

Some popular places within 2 blocks are Duffy's, Quarterdeck, Chuck's Steakhouse, Southport Raw Bar, and Kelly's Landing. I like Duffy's. For finer dining look at Coco Asian Bistro and Mezzaluna.

Back from the port? Taxis are cheap and plentiful in the area. Maybe $15 or so per cab.

Check out the Sleep Inn; although we didn't have a car, I think I have heard on here that they have cruise parking as well as a shuttle to the port (but probably not back from the port).

Sleep Inn is starting in November to charge for shuttles to the port.

If your ship is in the midport section of the port (Terminals 18-29) there's nothing that's on the way from the airport as the route between the two is essentially one long exit ramp. If you're going to the Northport part of the port (Terminals 1-4) there's a Publix in the Harbour Shops off SE 17th St. That supermarket is about 3.25 miles out of the way if you're going to midport.

Thank you ahecht, I have no idea which terminal.

Looks like you're going to be at Terminal 25, which is midport.

Yes, hampton inn fort lauderdale airport north port will shuttle you to the port for free. They have free cruise parking, but call the desk directly to see if they are still offering this. If they don't pick you up after the cruise, a taxi will only cost $10-15 back to your car. A taxi from the port to Hilton Garden Inn will cost $15-20. There is another Hampton Inn (FLL south) near the Hilton Garden Inn which did have free port shuttle service and cruise parking, but the website no longer says this, so check with the hotel directly.

Thank you again! I think I might still stick with returning the car, and re-renting a car when we get off the cruise. I've read a few stories about people's cars getting broken into at those park and cruise lots. And I know it's probably uncommon, but I'd rather not have that worry at the back of my midn when I'm cruising! It's our first cruise so I'm very much excited!

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Rather than driving for about 3.5 hours to Ft. Lauderdale on Friday night, why not just drive part way, get a good night's sleep and then continue on to FLL?

If you leave Orlando around 5 you can be in Port St. Lucie between 7-8PM and stay at the Homewood Suites right off I95. They have a decent included breakfast and then you will only have a 90 minute ride to FLL. No need to go on a long drive at night and no need to get up too early on Saturday.

When you get to FLL you will have plenty on time to return the car and they may have a shuttle to the port. Otherwise, if you drop your car at the airport, the cab ride costs about $12.

Rather than driving for about 3.5 hours to Ft. Lauderdale on Friday night, why not just drive part way, get a good night's sleep and then continue on to FLL?

If you leave Orlando around 5 you can be in Port St. Lucie between 7-8PM and stay at the Homewood Suites right off I95. They have a decent included breakfast and then you will only have a 90 minute ride to FLL. No need to go on a long drive at night and no need to get up too early on Saturday.

When you get to FLL you will have plenty on time to return the car and they may have a shuttle to the port. Otherwise, if you drop your car at the airport, the cab ride costs about $12.

Good suggestion. The Homewood Suites look quite nice as you suggested. I'll probably return the car to FLL airport since I'm going to priceline the rental. If I follow this plan... Are there cabs waiting at the rental car company? Or do I have to call and wait for one when I get there? I've never been to Fort Lauderdale so I'm not sure how everything there is laid out. But I want to be prepared :)

Is there still the free shuttle buses from FLL (from car rental companies) to Port Everglades? It's been a bit since I cruised out of PE but the last two times there were. I have a rental car to return and just want to find out what options are available.

Edited by Jenna1983

Is there still the free shuttle buses from FLL (from car rental companies) to Port Everglades? It's been a bit since I cruised out of PE but the last two times there were. I have a rental car to return and just want to find out what options are available.

From what I've heard, only Alamo/National customers can use the shuttles from the airport. The other companies have drop-off locations at closer to the port with shuttles to the terminals (Hertz is at the Crown Plaza, Avis is at the Hyatt, Budget is at the Quay shopping center, and Enterprise, Thrifty, and Dollar have facilities near the 24th St entrance to the port)

Can anyone suggest a hotel that is within walking distance to a grocery or drugstore?

DH and I will be traveling in April 2014, and I'm just trying to get a head start on research. We're looking for a hotel for under $200 and preferrably free shuttle from the airport. We'd also plan on just bringing carry on luggage on our flight, so we'd like to be within walking distance to a store we can get liquid items (shampoo, conditioner, sun block, etc.) that you can't carry on a plane. We'd also like to get some soda to bring on the ship with us.

Any ideas?

Edited by mrsd912