Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Be aware that the security lines at Ft. Lauderdale airport can be insanely long on days when ships are in port. You should plan on getting there 3 hours before your flight of you are flying internationally.

Bags to Go at the airport will store your bags for you for $6 per bag ( http://bagstogo.net/baggage_storage.php ).

After dropping your bags you can take the Sun Trolley into town ( http://www.broward.org/Airport/Transportation/Pages/SunTrolley.aspx )

We are flying into Florida from Chicago a day early for our Allure of the Seas cruise in March 2014. After reading your post, I'm not sure if we should book a 12:30ish flight back home from the Fort Lauderdale airport or a later flight from Miami airport. Unfamiliar with Florida airports so please advise.

We are flying into Florida from Chicago a day early for our Allure of the Seas cruise in March 2014. After reading your post, I'm not sure if we should book a 12:30ish flight back home from the Fort Lauderdale airport or a later flight from Miami airport. Unfamiliar with Florida airports so please advise.

Unless wild circumstances occur, a 12 PM flight from FLL and 1 PM flight from MIA is fine.

Cruise mate and I are flying in a day early and looking for a clean room in safe neighborhood that is not too far from port for a taxi or shuttle ride. We are unfamiliar with Fort Lauderdale so any information cruise critics can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Anything in the 17th St. area of Fort Lauderdale and most of the airport area hotels are fine but check Trip Advisor for any negative trends in reviews.

A 12:30 flight from FLL is OK when docking at Port Everglades,

I would avoid Miami Airport if possible.

Hello,

We will be landing close to midnight on Nov 1, and sailing on Nov 2. We'd really like to purchase a couple bottles of wine and 6-pk of Diet Pepsi before setting of for the port. I cannot see any trace of a store within a short walk. What's our best option for getting these errands done without spending $$$ on taxis?

We are assuming we'll be cabbing it to the port, thought there might be a place along the way that we could dash in and out without letting the meter go wild. Or, get a taxi to a shopping plaza between the hotel and port, spend some time, then call another taxi. Our luggage will be fairly light until we add bottles. ;-)

Or, is there a decent hotel in a better location? I have been scouring the travel websites, but the 17th St places seem to be completely booked or way out of our price range. We liked Gallery One earlier this year, except for the transportation costs. Definitely want to be closer to airport and port this time.

We stayed there last year. We wanted to buy some water to take on board on walked to the downtown area; it was quite a few blocks before we found a drugstore with water for sale, but we enjoy walking anyway.

I'd just ask at the hotel. They will know what is closest for your purchases and if it is walkable or if you need a taxi. I wasn't looking for wine or pop, so can't answer that question. I'm sure the pharmacy had pop; don't know about wine. There were lots of small shops and stores.

The hotel has a free shuttle to the port, if you want to take it.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

Hello,

We will be landing close to midnight on Nov 1, and sailing on Nov 2. We'd really like to purchase a couple bottles of wine and 6-pk of Diet Pepsi before setting of for the port. I cannot see any trace of a store within a short walk. What's our best option for getting these errands done without spending $$$ on taxis?

We are assuming we'll be cabbing it to the port, thought there might be a place along the way that we could dash in and out without letting the meter go wild. Or, get a taxi to a shopping plaza between the hotel and port, spend some time, then call another taxi. Our luggage will be fairly light until we add bottles. ;-)

Or, is there a decent hotel in a better location? I have been scouring the travel websites, but the 17th St places seem to be completely booked or way out of our price range. We liked Gallery One earlier this year, except for the transportation costs. Definitely want to be closer to airport and port this time.

There is a CVS less than a mile north on S. Federal Hwy...I think that is the closest store. It won't be too hot in November so it is walkable in the morning. They sell soda and wine. There are a bunch of hotels in Fort Lauderdale on State Rd 84, AKA SW 24th St, near WinnDixie (sells wine) and a liquor store. This is between the airport and port and usually less expensive than 17th St. (the neighborhood isn't as nice, but for a midnight arrival it doesn't really matter). These would work: Hampton Inn FLL north, Holiday Inn Express airport/cruiseport, Best Western Plus airport/cruiseport, Candlewood Suites airport/cruiseport. Some of these hotels even have free shuttles from airport and to port. The other area to search is Stirling Rd just east of i95. There is a Kmart there and BJs if you have a membership. Just google it and "search nearby" for hotels.

Edited by royalcruz

Thank you so much! I looked at the Rhodeway but other posts state to look elsewhere. If it were just my husband and I the scenario would be much different. There are too many variables with the inlaws along (diabetes, inclimate weather, cranky-ness)... I am thinking that this may be our best option.

And thanks for the review. I will def ask for a renovated room! :D:D

We stayed there overnight on the way and it was fine. We also booked it for a day room on the way back, as our flight was about 6:00pm. Everyone will be fine, we mostly just relaxed and had a nap. They are good about getting you to the airport, too. We did have a little trouble finding their bus at the end of the cruise, and there was no pay phone anywhere near the port. We didn't bring ours are we are from Canada and it is too expensive...A kind lady in the restroom let me use her cell phone and it got sorted out quickly.

Hello,

Since you're flying in so late it would make your life a lot easier if you stayed at one of the hotels clustered around Oakwood Plaza Mall on Stirling Road. All of them have airport shuttles and the Hilton Garden Inn is the only one that doesn't have complimentary breakfast. As Sharon said above, there's a K-Mart in the mall that has a good selection of popular wines.

Hampton Inn-FLL South

Comfort Inn

Hilton Garden Inn

Hyatt House

Hyatt Place-South

SpringHill Suites

Placed a request via ValueTrips.com for one night pre-cruise stay. The rate is $179. Never used this site before so I am a bit nervous. Waiting to get a confirmation e-mail. Is there anywhere in the vicinity where we can purchase bottles of wine to carry on ship? Also, what's the guesstimate for taxi fare from the hotel to Port Everglades port? I understand the hotel offers a shuttle from FLL airport to hotel for a fee. Thanks.

Edited by laedw
grammar

Placed a request via ValueTrips.com for one night pre-cruise stay. The rate is $179. Never used this site before so I am a bit nervous. Waiting to get a confirmation e-mail. Is there anywhere in the vicinity where we can purchase bottles of wine to carry on ship? Also, what's the guesstimate for taxi fare from the hotel to Port Everglades port? I understand the hotel offers a shuttle from FLL airport to hotel for a fee. Thanks.

The favorite wine store is Total Wine, a very short walk away. You can also get wine at Publix and Winn Dixie. The guesstimate for taxi is $10-12 per taxi.

Help! Flying into ft lauderdale the night before my cruise leaving out Miami, please suggest hotels to stay in and shuttles to get to the port of Miami

Hotels in March are expensive. Some reasonable hotels are Hyatt Place on Valuetrips.com and Sleep Inn Dania. There are many more if you read a little bit on this board. SAS shuttles are very popular based on low price of $15 pp.

Thanks, I'm going in November.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

OOOOOOOOOPS. I missed the November cruise! You should be able to get that Hyatt Place for $129 on Valuetrips if there are value rooms left. It's as good a place as any and the rate includes breakfast and airport shuttle. There are lots of restaurants and stores that you can walk to from there.

Getting nervous about our first family cruise logistics in November and would appreciate some advice! My daughter and SIL and 1 yr old are driving from Orlando and returning the rental car at Port Everglades. Would it be advisable for him to drop off wife and baby (and luggage) at the cruise terminal (where we will be waiting) and handle the car rental drop off himself? Then he could take the free shuttle to the cruise terminal. Or is it too hectic at the HAL cruise terminal for us to connect - this is our first time here. They're also worried about the baby on a shuttle without a car seat. (it's rented along with the car). Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Would you recommend taking a taxi or the free shuttle from FLL to Embassy Suites and then again from hotel to cruise terminal? We have 5 adults.

We are also staying at the Embassy Suites for our 2014 cruise.. We plan on taking a taxi to avoid all the craziness I have read about.. Others probably are fine taking the shuttle.. Have fun!

Hotels in March are expensive. Some reasonable hotels are Hyatt Place on Valuetrips.com and Sleep Inn Dania. There are many more if you read a little bit on this board. SAS shuttles are very popular based on low price of $15 pp.

Waiting for a confirmation email from Valuetrips for hotel reservation. Hyatt Place offers free shuttle from airport to hotel, right?