Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Crown Plaza or Embassy Suites...one worth forty dollars more than the other?:confused:

You don't say which costs more...I think ES is worth $40 more if you are partaking in the happy hour AND breakfast. It's also a much closer walk to stores and restaurants. Crown Plaza is much newer but wouldn't be worth more than ES.

Fairfield has complimentary breakfast and airport shuttle, shuttle to the port for $8pp. ?There isn't much around but it is walkable to Rustic Inn and Islamorada Fish Co.

Thanks royalcruz! Any suggestions on what to do or where to eat with just one evening precruise?

Thanks royalcruz! Any suggestions on what to do or where to eat with just one evening precruise?

Well, Islamorada Fish is not very exciting (yawn), but some people like shopping at the Outdoor World store next to it (yawn). It would be more fun to go to Rustic Inn, or get a ride to The Field, about a mile west on Griffin. They have very good food, and live entertainment most nights. Here's the entertainment schedule. http://thefieldfl.com/music

Edited by royalcruz

Looking for suggestions - I currently have a two night reservation at the Renaissance and at the Embassy Suites. The Renaissance is $20 (total) cheaper. I realize that Embassy Suites comes with a hot breakfast and the Renaissance doesn't. We're not likely to take part in any evening reception. I have Silver status with Marriott and that would be two nights towards maintaining my status in 2014 at Renaissance...

....but I really can't decide otherwise. Breakfast is nice, but we'll be on a cruise with a week of hot breakfasts though it would be convenient.

Thanks for any help!

We will be going on a cruise in Feb. Have transportation from airport to hotel and hotel to cruise terminal, need suggestions on transportation from cruise terminal back to the airport. THANKS

From Port Everglades to Ft. Lauderdale airport, it's hard to beat the price and convenience of a taxi. Price will be less than $20 for two people.

Edited by clarea

We are traveling in November. We disembark in Miami and have SAS transport reserved to get to FLL. We were thinking of doing the Sun Trolley since our flight doesn't leave until 8:30pm. How easy is it to find at the airport? Any info about the Sun Trolley or what to see/do in Ft. Lauderdale would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance!!

We are traveling in November. We disembark in Miami and have SAS transport reserved to get to FLL. We were thinking of doing the Sun Trolley since our flight doesn't leave until 8:30pm. How easy is it to find at the airport? Any info about the Sun Trolley or what to see/do in Ft. Lauderdale would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance!!

As I understand it, the sun trolley operates out of the airport only on weekends (hope your cruise ends on a Saturday or Sunday!) when there is a free Sun Trolley route from the airport to the visitors center. Check out details (including pick up stops) at http://www.broward.org/Airport/Trans...unTrolley.aspx. According to the website, at the visitors center you can purchase Fort Lauderdale Excursion passes at the Welcome Center. "The pass includes admission to museums and historic properties, discounts at restaurants and shops, and all-day passage on the free Sun Trolley."

If it is a weekday, check http://www.suntrolley.com for the stops on the regular routes.

For more info on what to do in Fort Lauderdale check out http://www.sunny.org.

Edited by capriccio

Fairfield has complimentary breakfast and airport shuttle, shuttle to the port for $8pp. ?There isn't much around but it is walkable to Rustic Inn and Islamorada Fish Co.

Do need reservations for the shuttle. The reason I'm asking is that I'm parking in the Fairfield Inn lot and need a ride to the port.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Looking for suggestions - I currently have a two night reservation at the Renaissance and at the Embassy Suites. The Renaissance is $20 (total) cheaper. I realize that Embassy Suites comes with a hot breakfast and the Renaissance doesn't. We're not likely to take part in any evening reception. I have Silver status with Marriott and that would be two nights towards maintaining my status in 2014 at Renaissance...

....but I really can't decide otherwise. Breakfast is nice, but we'll be on a cruise with a week of hot breakfasts though it would be convenient.

Thanks for any help!

Renaissance is a more elegant quiet hotel and you'll get the reward points that you want. Embassy Suites has a busier feel to it and has a pretty pool area.

Do I need reservations for the shuttle. The reason I'm asking is that I'm parking in the Fairfield Inn lot and need a ride to the port.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I would suggest posting a new thread for this question, since you need to find someone who has stayed there and used the port shuttle. Or call the hotel.

We are cruising March 23, peak of Spring Break, and hotel prices are high. I know Harbor Shops is just behind Embassy Suites, but are Crowne Plaza, Hyatt Place Convention Center, Holiday Inn Express, and Renaissance close enough to walk to the shops? Is there a nice airport (FLL) hotel with shops and good restaurants within a couple of blocks walking distance anyone can recommend? I need to book a hotel very soon, so I appreciate any suggestions.

We are cruising March 23, peak of Spring Break, and hotel prices are high. I know Harbor Shops is just behind Embassy Suites, but are Crowne Plaza, Hyatt Place Convention Center, Holiday Inn Express, and Renaissance close enough to walk to the shops? Is there a nice airport (FLL) hotel with shops and good restaurants within a couple of blocks walking distance anyone can recommend? I need to book a hotel very soon, so I appreciate any suggestions.

Crowne Plaza is the furthest from the Harbor Shops but it is still walkable, less than a mile if you go through the back roads behind Comfort Suites. I don't know if you've ever been to Harbor Shops so I should say that it's not much of a shopping mall. There is grocery, liquor/wine, hardware, massage, nails, ice cream, 2-3 boutiques, and restaurants. From Harbor Shops you can take the Suntrolley to Galleria Mall for 50 cents.

There are a bunch of hotels on Stirling Rd near I95 (Hampton Inn, Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, etc)...they are near Oakwood Plaza which has a few chain restaurants (Red Lobster, TGIF, Ale House, etc.) and chain stores (Marshall's, Kmart, Big Lots, Home Depot, etc). There are also a few hotels on State Rd 84/SW 24th St near SW 9th Ave.(Hampton Inn, Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, etc) that are near a shopping center that has Winn-Dixie, Big Lots, liquor store, take-out chinese and pizza, fast food, Subway, a sports bar, a little Cuban restaurant, etc. There is a decent German restaurant across the street from there.

We are a party of 8 ranging in ages from 13-67. We are departing the Allure on Sunday 11/3 in am. Plane does not take off till 7:15pm at FLL. Our luggage will be with us. Any suggestions for excursions?

I bet Royal offers an excursion post cruise. Since you have such a large

group, why not find out about it? Go on the tour and then you also

don't have to worry about your luggage.

Crowne Plaza is the furthest from the Harbor Shops but it is still walkable, less than a mile if you go through the back roads behind Comfort Suites. I don't know if you've ever been to Harbor Shops so I should say that it's not much of a shopping mall. There is grocery, liquor/wine, hardware, massage, nails, ice cream, 2-3 boutiques, and restaurants. From Harbor Shops you can take the Suntrolley to Galleria Mall for 50 cents.

There are a bunch of hotels on Stirling Rd near I95 (Hampton Inn, Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, etc)...they are near Oakwood Plaza which has a few chain restaurants (Red Lobster, TGIF, Ale House, etc.) and chain stores (Marshall's, Kmart, Big Lots, Home Depot, etc). There are also a few hotels on State Rd 84/SW 24th St near SW 9th Ave.(Hampton Inn, Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, etc) that are near a shopping center that has Winn-Dixie, Big Lots, liquor store, take-out chinese and pizza, fast food, Subway, a sports bar, a little Cuban restaurant, etc. There is a decent German restaurant across the street from there.

Thank you for your information. Is it safe to walk in the hotel areas on Sterling Road? We will have an 8 year old with us. We're trying to save some money where we can, but we still want a safe area (and decent hotel). I always appreciate the good advice you give on this thread. Yes, I have been to the Harbor Shops before--mainly looking for the restaurants, but good to know we can pick up the Sun Trolley there.:)

Our flight doesn't leave until 630pm, 4 adults, any suggestions??

Is there a place at the port to pay and be able to store luggage?

For luggage storage at the airport check out Bags to Go: http://www.bagstogo.net. As far as I know there is no storage at the port.

If your cruise ends on a Saturday or Sunday there is a free Sun Trolley route from the airport to the visitors center. Check out details (including pick up stops) at http://www.broward.org/Airport/Trans...unTrolley.aspx. According to the website, at the visitors center you can purchase Fort Lauderdale Excursion passes. "The pass includes admission to museums and historic properties, discounts at restaurants and shops, and all-day passage on the free Sun Trolley." If you've never been to Fort Lauderdale before, I'd recommend the water taxi (http://www.watertaxi.com).

If it is a weekday, check www.suntrolley.com for the stops on the regular routes.

For more info on what to do in Fort Lauderdale check out www.sunny.org.

Thank you for your information. Is it safe to walk in the hotel areas on Sterling Road? We will have an 8 year old with us. We're trying to save some money where we can, but we still want a safe area (and decent hotel). I always appreciate the good advice you give on this thread. Yes, I have been to the Harbor Shops before--mainly looking for the restaurants, but good to know we can pick up the Sun Trolley there.:)

There is a lot of traffic on Stirling Rd and in Oakwood Plaza so be careful and use crosswalks. The area is not upscale but it is not known to be unsafe either.

Momma Moles:

Can anyone tell me about the Hilton garden inn in dania next to the airport ? I have a reservation there in Feb for the night before our cruise and will leave my car there ...

It's not exactly next to the airport...it's a few miles south. What do you want to know about the Hilton Garden Inn?

Edited by royalcruz