Best month for Baltic cruise

I think this is more about luck. I just got back from the baltics 2 weeks ago, and we had fantastic weather. Looking at the weather forecast the last 2 weeks, it looks like there is has been non-stop rain. There were numerous ships in all the ports, but we did not have any lines. In Saint Petersburg we took a private tour with Red October so that might have help us avoid some of the crowds you might get when going with the ship tours. The palaces and museums were all busy though. My advice is find that best cruise/price on the line you want to sail, and book any date in July or August.

Sounds like Nova Scotia! LOL! June was wet and cool, July was wet but warmer and August was a heat wave followed by Hurrican Bill 80km offshore. July used to be guaranteed best weather but it's been August for the last few years. Yup, luck.

I'll look up average rainfalls for July and August and then decide. Thanks.

We went the end of May/early June, and I thought it was a perfect time. Weather was really good for touring, crowded but not as bad as summer months, and we weren't exhausted from the heat/humidity.

Keep in mind that many countries in Europe have their vacations for the entire month of August...add that to the cruise ship crowd, too. This past June, we were in Italy over a 4 day Italian holiday weekend. Rome was jam packed with tourists, the Vatican was free that Sunday, and there was the Giro Italia bike race finish!

You can't plan for all events, but you might want to check local holiday events that could conflict with your tour plans, and be aware. This past May, some cruisers were disappointed that May Day closed many things they wanted to see...no different than a holiday back home, but a disappointment nonetheless.

Re: weather, I remember being in Halifax in early August in jeans and a sweatshirt...Cool! It was my kind of weather and I loved it!!!

Hi! I was on the Rotterdam from 8/11-8/23, and our weather varied greatly by port. Copenhagen, Tallinn, Berlin, Arhus, and Rotterdam all had nice summer weather. St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm, and Oslo all had cool, rainy weather. In fact, our Russian guide had two sayings about the weather.

The first was, "We have nine months of anticipation and three months of disappointment." The second was, "In every summer day it will rain and it will be sunny. It will be hot and it will be cold." One guide we had in St. Petersburg said that there were only 35 days of sunshine a year; another said that there were 65 days of sunshine per year. Either way, it's nothing compared to the 300 days of sunshine where I live!

If you go in the middle of August onward, bring a polar fleece jacket and an umbrella.

We went the end of May/early June, and I thought it was a perfect time. Weather was really good for touring, crowded but not as bad as summer months, and we weren't exhausted from the heat/humidity.

Keep in mind that many countries in Europe have their vacations for the entire month of August...add that to the cruise ship crowd, too. This past June, we were in Italy over a 4 day Italian holiday weekend. Rome was jam packed with tourists, the Vatican was free that Sunday, and there was the Giro Italia bike race finish!

Yes, August is vacation time for Europe. But I actually enjoyed having a mix of people on the cruise. On the Aug 1 cruise I took, we have large groups from Spain, Germany and Holland. It made the night time entertainment much more enjoyable. Either way, summer time in the Baltics will draw crowds. You only really have 2-3 month window to have decent weather in the area so of course it's going to be crowded. But I must say the crowds were much less then anything I experienced in Rome in late Aug early Sept.

I find that August in Scandinavia gets chilly quite often.

Since good weather is a gamble no matter what time you go, I would choose late June for the incredibly long daylight hours.

Very good point regarding the long daylight. Since there is no way to tell what weather is going to be, I would pick June.

Al

I think this is more about luck. I just got back from the baltics 2 weeks ago, and we had fantastic weather. Looking at the weather forecast the last 2 weeks, it looks like there is has been non-stop rain. There were numerous ships in all the ports, but we did not have any lines. In Saint Petersburg we took a private tour with Red October so that might have help us avoid some of the crowds you might get when going with the ship tours. The palaces and museums were all busy though. My advice is find that best cruise/price on the line you want to sail, and book any date in July or August.

Agree that July and August can work well, but it will take some good luck. We had that "charm" last year in late July and early August. The longer days do help. Below are a couple of pictures for what you can enjoy there in the historic and charming Baltics.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

At the super great Peterhof Palace with its world-class fountains and great architecture, plus nice blue skies:

A-StP-PeterhofFount.jpg

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

1A-StP-PeterhofTowers.jpg

We returned from R/T Copenhagen cruise on Aug. 24th. We had to wear sweaters for the most part it was in the low 70, and windy. (No pool time for us.) However, very comfortable weather for touring. We used Denrus and were very pleased. Get a private tour, or a smaller group tour through one of the private tour companys that are in Russia. You won't regret it. The ship tours are so overpriced, and traveling with 40 plus other people to any tourist attraction is a nightmare. Good Luck.

Yes, August is vacation time for Europe.

Central Europeans and Russians like to take their holidays in August but in Sweden, Finland and the Baltic states, July is the vacation month. July may suit you, too, because the days are longer and the weather generally a bit warmer, but some Scandinavian stores are closed that month.

We sailed Aug 12-26 on the Jewel. To say the weather was brilliant would be putting it mildly. we expected some rain and some uncomfortable days but what we got was sunshine and cool weather. We picked the Baltics because we wanted exactly that. You needed a light jacket when leaving the ship, but by mid day, they came off and you enjoyed the warm sunshine. I think the only rain we had was a very brief shower in Rostock, but that faded to sunshine in an hour or so. We had no iumidity, and just magnificent skies to take pictures with. I understand we were lucky, as many said they had days where it rained so hard they could even get off the ship, but not us. I would chose late to mid August if you like that chill in the AM, and then warming sunshine, but never hot to the point where you want to get out of the sun.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have opted for the June 12th Eclipse cruise as we thought drier and cooler might be better than warmer and wetter, although there wasn't a huge difference between June & July on the weather maps. We were in Sweden for 2 weeks at midsummer a few years ago, most of the time in Malmo but 5 days in Stockholm. Malmo was cold & wet the whole time but Stockholm was fabulous - warm & sunny. But any other year it could be different...... The bottom line is personal choice I guess.

Malmo was cold & wet the whole time but Stockholm was fabulous - warm & sunny. But any other year it could be different...... The bottom line is personal choice I guess.

YES, agree, it will always be "different" from year to year on the weather. It is in part a personal choice, but it will involve some luck as to how you will be graced by the weather and its changing nature.

In the Loire Valley in 2005 on July 4-6, we were there and the high's were only in the mid 50's requiring wearing a jacket during the day. In 2006 there, the high's were in the mid 90's. Go figure that out for weather consistency??!!

Well, our schedule only allows for a small window in which to vacation, so we're going on a 10-day Baltic sailing on July 18th - hearing all the opinions on here sure makes me feel good about our cruise. . .can't wait, thanks to all who posted!

Well, our schedule only allows for a small window in which to vacation, so we're going on a 10-day Baltic sailing on July 18th - hearing all the opinions on here sure makes me feel good about our cruise. . .can't wait, thanks to all who posted!

Things can work out great in mid July. The key to maximizing the experience is to do proper research and planning, especially for St. Petersburg. Use the "SEARCH" feature on this Baltics board. Don't be shy!!! Ask your key questions on these boards. People were very helpful to us and it made a major, very positive difference.

Archived