Credit Card use in NZ/Aus

Shopinpat

NZer's use credit card extensively - mostly Visa or MC.

One thing I have noticed though is when we booked our Hotel in Sydney for our pre-cruise nights, we were told that Credit Cards now attract a transaction fee, charged by the Hotel.

In NZ (not sure about OZ) the Credit card companies (Visa and M/C) now allow merchants to pass on credit card fees, BUT they must display or tell you first. Some BP Petrol Stations charge fees, which caused a huge client backlash!

Yes, Australian merchants are also able to pass on the merchant fees associated to your transaction. Some merchants do it, some don't.

The amount will vary depending on the merchant and what they also get charged by their provider. They must inform you or display a sign indicating this charge.

• 4 weeks later...
We just applied for the Capital One CC based on other threads here. There is no annual fee, it's a cash back card and there are no transaction fees as you mention. We only have one CC currently and hate having too much plastic in my wallet but this seems to be a very good option to avoiding unecessary fees.

We always travel with two different credit cards. My DH has one in his wallet, and I carry the other. This way if either of us loses or has our wallet stolen, we still have a credit card we can use.

Do Australia and/or NZ use the chip-and-PIN card now common in Europe, or the magnetic stripe card used in the US? If the former, is there any problem using a US mag stripe card?

Yes, we are moving to chip and pin and no, you'll have no problems as most of our banks haven't gone that way yet.

Have not seen an EFTPOS machine yet that is insert (for chip) only. They all have swipe as well.

Used chip and PIN card for purchases on our recent Europe holiday and although I put in PIN for every purchase transaction, only once was I not asked to sign as well.

Yes, we are moving to chip and pin and no, you'll have no problems as most of our banks haven't gone that way yet.

Have not seen an EFTPOS machine yet that is insert (for chip) only. They all have swipe as well.

Used chip and PIN card for purchases on our recent Europe holiday and although I put in PIN for every purchase transaction, only once was I not asked to sign as well.

kia ora,

As The_Big_M says either is fine. Today I 'inserted' my card to pay and this method appears to be superseding 'swiping' the card which we did when making a purchase yesterday. It would therefore appear that in AotearoaNZ credit cards can accommodate either method. If you are using a credit card & neither works just tell the provider you will sign for your purchase (I generally prefer to sign)!

Aquarians

We have cancelled our Amex card, some time ago, as we found very few places accept it here in Oz. It is because they charge the stores etc too much for having it. We have found that Visa has suited us both in Oz and NZ, and elsewhere. Mastercard would be my second choice.

Jen

Hi all, firstly, westpac has HEAPS of atms everywhere in AUS, so they are a good one to go with. They are one of the "major four"

The others being ANZ, Commonwealth and NAB.

Amex is not popular in Aus outside the touristy areas. (eg Syd & Mlb LOL) It's too dear for retailers, so very few offer it. I know some big stores (DJ's for example) have had a big push to get peeps to sign up for Amex, not sure how it went.

ANZ stands for Australia and New Zealand banks, so I'm assuming it's OK for NZ too, uncertain on the others.

ATMs in AUS accept Maestro cards (logo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Maestro_logo.svg) so if your debit card has that (or CC) you should be fine at any ATM in AUS. debit/eftpos transactions cost more, and in some places eg, woolworths (supermarket) and caltex shops (petrol) they have an ANZ atm, so you can get cash out for NO transaction fee, then go to the counter and pay in cash! (if you are with ANZ) I think Coles and Shell have a similar agreement with Westpac. (I don't use them, so not certain there!)

• 1 month later...
Currently, that's correct. It is likely to change in the future, but not right now.

Great, thank so much for the prompt response. I see that you are from Sydney. Could you give us some restaurant recommendations as we'll be in Sydney for a week prior to our cruise in Feb. We've heard great things about Guillaume at Bennelong - good option or do you have another thought?

Thanks

Currently, that's correct. It is likely to change in the future, but not right now.

They must be in the process of changing over. Mines with ANZ and when my date expired and got the new one , had to go in and put a pin on it. Still have the option of signing or using the pin for over the counter transactions though, but the pin sure speeds things up.

Lots of fun at the self checkout machines at the supermarket.:D

They must be in the process of changing over. Mines with ANZ and when my date expired and got the new one , had to go in and put a pin on it. Still have the option of signing or using the pin for over the counter transactions though, but the pin sure speeds things up.

Lots of fun at the self checkout machines at the supermarket.:D

Yes, cardholders are being switched over, but they aren't forcing customers to use them in the store - it's left to customer preference at the moment. They've said they want people to move that way, but probably don't want to create bad publicity and some distrust by making people use PIN only. If the uptake improves though so only minority usage remains, they'll probably fully switch over then.

Regarding the restaurant question, I think others may be able to help more. However, the Guillaume restaurant is certainly a treasure with a great location, and I'd suggest a good choice if they fit it into your plans. Hope you have a great trip!

• 2 weeks later...

When I went to US/Canada last year, I got a special card (in Australia at Commonwealth Bank) that I loaded with both currencies - USD and CAD. Then I could withdraw cash from ATMs or else use it like a credit card to pay and sign.

Not sure if such a card exists in USA?? I certainly found it easier than anything I've used on previous trips.

• 2 months later...

I am a New Zealander with family in Australia. In NZ c/c's are very widely accepted and with no minimum and no surcharge being the norm. In Sydney over Christmas we were amazed to find a minimum of $10 or $20 signs in shops etc and were even more amazed ( possibly not the right word) to find that after having a very expensive meal in a restaurant that when we were presented with the bill there was a 2% surcharge if we wanted to pay by c/c. The only way to avoid that was to pay cash- actual notes- not eftpos! We were not impressed.

As regards which c/c's are best in NZ- M.C. and visa are accepted everywhere.

Westpac banks are in New Zealand too

I am a New Zealander with family in Australia. In NZ c/c's are very widely accepted and with no minimum and no surcharge being the norm. In Sydney over Christmas we were amazed to find a minimum of $10 or $20 signs in shops etc and were even more amazed ( possibly not the right word) to find that after having a very expensive meal in a restaurant that when we were presented with the bill there was a 2% surcharge if we wanted to pay by c/c. The only way to avoid that was to pay cash- actual notes- not eftpos! We were not impressed.

When I ate recently in a Japanese restaurant in Melbourne, I was surprised that they did not take credit cards. There was something in front of the sign, in front of the cash register, which said "cash only". Fortunately, I had cash to cover the meal.

The fact that I was surprised says how widely accepted credit cards are in Australia.

When I ate recently in a Japanese restaurant in Melbourne, I was surprised that they did not take credit cards. There was something in front of the sign, in front of the cash register, which said "cash only". Fortunately, I had cash to cover the meal.

The fact that I was surprised says how widely accepted credit cards are in Australia.

When our TA gives us a quote it is always $xxx, followed by a discounted price if we choose to not to pay by CC and give them a cheque or cash.

The discounted price would be I guess what the bank charges them.......

of course if you dont use the card and pay by cheque, you dont get air points.

A lot of business are charging a surcharge for credit cards, which I think some are over the top, as they would be paying less than that for the credit card, Even some hotels charge a surcharge now if you use a cc.

Archived