Alaska and a Veranda

ncdisneynut

I guess this is a two part question, first, how much do you use a Veranda on an Alaska cruise? Is it too cold? Is it too rainy? Is it too wet?

Has anyone done alaska with a Celebrity Suite, the one with just the big windows? Would this be as good as a Veranda?

I really like the extra room in the celebrity suite and just wonder how much I would miss the Veranda?

Not certain what your "cold tolerance" is -- we've cruise AK late Spring on several occassions and have thoroughly enjoyed balconey/veranda. While at sea, it can be a bit breezy -- I wrapped a polar fleece blanket around my legs and tended to wear light gloves while enjoying the view. While in port it was wonderful -- always lots to see. While slowed to view a glacier or something -- the veranda was well worth it -- not having to jostle for a viewing spot up on deck was wonderful. The "smell" and feel of the cold coming off the ice and the sounds of the ice cracking was an important part of the experience.

But I enjoy cooler climates, so take my view with a grain of salt! :D

I had one for my Alaska cruise. The reason to consider it is for quick/easy access to the Alaskan scenary. Often you will need to bundle up a bit (especially early in the morning and as the sun sets), but there is a lot to look at - and to me you get a better perspective actually being outside on a balcony than looking through a window. That said if you get cold easily or do not like being out in rain/drizzle, then the extra space of the Celebrity Suite may be better suited to your preferences.

I am sailing to Alaska this Sunday:Dand I have a window.

In my case, a balcony is out of my $$$ range and this particular

window I am really excited about.....its all the way forward on

the ship and its a BIG picture window:)

Like everything else, it really depends on your priorities..what

is important to you and your family.

I can go upstairs and will be outside that way;)

We often take an inside room as we want to have the extra dollars for more cruises. We've been on 3 Alaska cruises and this is one trip I'd not want to be without the balcony. It could be cold, foggy or rainy but we've had great weather, and even sitting outside on the balcony reading at 11 p.m. For glacier viewing it is wonderful!

We're doing our Alaska cruise on Mercury the 13th of September. We cruised once before with a balcony. It was fabulous, but a bit windy at times. I wrapped up in a blanket and spent hours out there - what a great way to go!:D This time we have booked a sunset verandah and hope that there will be less wind and a broader view of the fabulous scenery in Alaska. This will be our first aft cabin and the first time on X that we are not in a sky suite. I think the expanded vista will be more enjoyable than the suite "perks". Will let you know how it goes when we return!

Doris

We're doing our Alaska cruise on Mercury the 13th of September. We cruised once before with a balcony. It was fabulous, but a bit windy at times. I wrapped up in a blanket and spent hours out there - what a great way to go!:D This time we have booked a sunset verandah and hope that there will be less wind and a broader view of the fabulous scenery in Alaska. This will be our first aft cabin and the first time on X that we are not in a sky suite. I think the expanded vista will be more enjoyable than the suite "perks". Will let you know how it goes when we return!

Doris

Doris

Really looking forward to your review. We're planning on Alaska in 2011 for our 40th Anniversary. We usually do a balcony but were considering a suite (the one without the balcony) for this cruise. This would be our 1st suite and we're still undecided. We don't need the extra room but some other amenities sound good.

Mary Lou

Our veranda was worth every penny! We used it every morning to see what scenery was on our current route, used it lots the day of the Hubbard Glacier visit, and spent many hours in the afternoon out on the veranda reading. There are heavy wool blankets available on the pool deck. Grab a couple of those and bring them to your cabin. Wrap up, grab a good book and enjoy the fresh air! Oh, and pack a pair of slipper socks - they came in very handy!

We just got back from Alaska on the Infinity. We had a 2B verandah and enjoyed very much being able to scoot out on it and easily take in the scenery. Yes, it was chilly out there much of the time, but the views made it worthwhile. Have never stayed in a Celebrity Suite (a verandah being about as extravagant as we get), but can imagine it being a good choice for an Alaska itinerary. We were just a few cabins away from those suites and it appeared they would provide great views without the cold.

Sheila

We got back from an Alaska a few weeks ago with a balcony on the Millennium. We were on the 8th floor and the overhang from the decks above kept any rain off us. We used the balcony all the time and I think this is one cruise where it is a real advantage. We would go out in our robes, fleece, and sometimes blankets. The wind was never a problem.

We also used the 10th deck where they had chaise lounge chairs with blankets.

When we were in Alaska this past May we were sunbathing on our deck in Glacier Bay and people were in the aft open pool. You never know what type of weather you'll get. We spent a great deal of time on our deck, it was nice to sit back out of the wind with a blanket for that early morning scenic cruising.

Would not consider Alaska without a balcony; I don't care how cool or wet it may be. The beauty of Alaska is its scenery and nothing beats sitting on a balcony even if bundled up (which has never been necessary) watching bald eagles diving after salmon, orcas and harbor seals playing, and the magnificent glaciers and mountain ranges. I would give up the martinis for a balcony:D

By far it is worth the balcony. If you cruise in July or August the temperatures are not bad. The only days it cold is when you cruise next to the glacier. We did the Mercury in 2006 in an Oceanview and the Golden Princess in 2009 with a balcony and there is really no comparison. The views from the balcony is equal to being on the upper decks. The main advantage of the balcony is that we could enjoyed viewing the glacier while having breakfast. Plus if need be, you can run back into the room to warm up for a moment. :cool:

I have to say, I'm in the minority it seems, but we just got back from our Alaskan cruise last week on the Mercury, and we didn't use the balcony very much. I'm from New England, so I'm used to the cold. We tended to go up to the top decks to view a lot of the scenery. My parents, who were on the same cruise with us used theirs more. I just found it difficult to curl up with a blanket on the balcony and read on the balcony.

We tended to use it the most when we were pulling into the ports. I come from a big photography family, so my dad, my sister, and myself would all meet on the top decks with our SLRs and we'd take a lot of photos that way.

Based on these responses, you'll have to decide what you think you'll be like. This was our first cruise ever, and if we cruise again someplace more warm, we'll probably still get a balcony because DH and I both felt as though we weren't out there because of the weather on this cruise and if it were more tropical weather, we'd be outside more.

We cruised on Mercury in May 2009. We usually book a CC balcony, but this time booked a Cat 4 aft. There was a large window, from which we saw orcas and other critters. The cabin was very close to the aft deck, which was rarely used by anyone else, so it was just a quick scoot out of the cabin to the aft deck - there are chairs there and an overhang - and great views all around. The kiddie pool and rec room was on this deck aft, but there were no kiddies - or at least very few - on our cruise.

And we saved enough for more cruises!;)

I guess this is a two part question, first, how much do you use a Veranda on an Alaska cruise? Is it too cold? Is it too rainy? Is it too wet?

Has anyone done alaska with a Celebrity Suite, the one with just the big windows? Would this be as good as a Veranda?

I really like the extra room in the celebrity suite and just wonder how much I would miss the Veranda?

Hi,

Since your post seems to indicate that stateroom price is not a factor, I would join the chorus urging you to opt for a nice balcony/veranda stateroom.

While the Celebrity Suite would be a marvelous stateroom and feel very exclusive, and while they do offer excellent views with their curving wall of windows, I believe they have significant sensory limitations for Alaska: sound, feel, and smell.

Seeing the scenery in the Canadian and Alaskan "Inside Passage" is magnificent, but being able to also experience it on a balcony is, in my opinion, unmatched. The sounds of nature, the feel of the often crisp air, the smell of clean, clear air and of the marine environment, all contribute to a more total, encompassing experience.

For instance, if you happen to see a glacier calve an iceberg, being able to see and experience the event is memorable. The sound can be incredible. Also, if your ship happens to encounter a pod of Orca, experiencing their sounds adds greatly to the experience as well.

Sorry for the missive, obviously I enjoy Alaskan cruising!

Have a marvelous cruise vacation whichever category of stateroom you select!

CM

Archived