Anyone that has switched from Celebrity to Viking Ocean? Would love feedback!

russg140

I did a quick and dirty price comparison. Strictly considering cost, Viking is more expensive. I would be glad to share my spreadsheet. Email me at cruzzzinma@gmail.com.

Assumptions:

I placed no value on the butler, Luminae or Michaels Club on Celebrity. The specialties on Viking somewhat mitigate the loss of Luminae. The whole ship is tranquil so I didn't need the quietness of Michael's club.

I did add the premium and silver spirits package to keep them somewhat comparable.

I probably underestimated shore excursions on both - I used $150 per day on Celebrity for nine port days for both of us and assumed only included excursions on Viking.

I place no value on the restocked mini fridge or coffee pot on Viking and no value on the daily snacks on Celebrity.

I did not consider which had the better itinerary, ship sizes, ship age, chair hogs, free burgers by the pool or passenger numbers.

Celebrity 10 day adjusted price assumes airfare and shore excursions stay the same.

12-night Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean departing Jan 17 2019

Sky Suite: $9,551.00. "Adjusted price" for 10 nights was $8,419.63.

C1 Veranda (Aft facing concierge cabin comparable to DV1): $8,855.48 per stateroom for 12 days and $7,839.90 per stateroom adjusted to 10 days.

Viking Ocean, Jan 8 2019 West Indies Explorer, 10 nights (Viking says 11 days)

PV3 $11,591.16 (comparable to Sky Suite)

DV1 $11,191.16 (comparable to Celebrity aft facing C1)

On the Sky suite price did you add in the cost of the premium package and gratuities? They are included in the cruise fare.

Hey all - OP here...

Not so much interested in price comparison as experience. If I had a lousy time on a cruise but it was cheap - it was still a lousy time. There are also a million ways to "skin the cat" of perceived value. So my original question was more: Having cruised with both compare/contrast food, space, staff, "experience", fellow travelers, etc. Now. Have at it.

Hey all - OP here...

Not so much interested in price comparison as experience. If I had a lousy time on a cruise but it was cheap - it was still a lousy time. There are also a million ways to "skin the cat" of perceived value. So my original question was more: Having cruised with both compare/contrast food, space, staff, "experience", fellow travelers, etc. Now. Have at it.[/quote

Since this will be my first Viking, and looking forward to a great cruise, i can only say I've sailed on X 11 x's, only had 1 not so great experience, very bad waiter, but did not ruin my cruise. So cost is a factor, but I don't sail inside, I dont sail on Carnival or NCL, I do like to be pampered, and stay in upgraded cabins that do cost more, so it's not CHEAP just great deals. X has treated us royally and have had great times and hoping for an even better experience on Viking.

Hey all - OP here...

Not so much interested in price comparison as experience. If I had a lousy time on a cruise but it was cheap - it was still a lousy time. There are also a million ways to "skin the cat" of perceived value. So my original question was more: Having cruised with both compare/contrast food, space, staff, "experience", fellow travelers, etc. Now. Have at it.

It appears there are a few of us on this thread who are Celebrity cruisers trying Viking Ocean for the first time. Sorry our questions weren't helpful to you, but starting another thread comparing X to Viking would be a bit redundant.

Thanks ebtrip and cruizzinma, your posts were quite helpful.

Katie

We're also trying Viking for the first time, but have only sailed on Celebrity once. We thoroughly enjoyed our Celebrity cruise, only it wasn't quite as "luxury"as they advertise. I wasn't aware they would be doing pool games, would have just preferred a dj or even live music. We did love the solarium pool for reading and relaxing. We dined in Blu, and enjoyed it. Only complaint was no waiters at the pool, always had to go get our drinks at a very crowded bar. Certainly not anything to worry about, sometimes it's good to go for a walk! I was also surprised by the amount of sales hassle, but a polite "no thank you" usually sufficed. These are the examples I'm hoping will be different on Viking. We will also try Oceania next summer, and Edge in 2019, to try the new Retreat. I expect all will provide a different experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love Viking because everything I need is included in one price. I hated having to constantly be extra charged for things on Celebrity. In addition I was forever being hustled to purchase jewellery or other things of no interest. I love the fact that ALL of the restaurants are included, even though there are only two specialty restaurants. I also prefer the smaller ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I love Viking because everything I need is included in one price. I hated having to constantly be extra charged for things on Celebrity. In addition I was forever being hustled to purchase jewellery or other things of no interest. I love the fact that ALL of the restaurants are included, even though there are only two specialty restaurants. I also prefer the smaller ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Could you elaborate on being hustled/hassled to purchase jewelry on Celebrity. Also, I didn't realize gratuities and cocktails were included in the cruise fare on Viking, we were planning on purchasing the drink upgrade. Finally what are your thoughts on the included tours. My limited research leads me to believe the included tours are bus rides with a few photo ops and upgrades offer better trips.

Thanks,

Katie

I don't think gratuities are included. Wine is included at meals. Alcohol in minibar replenished daily is included in PV and above.

Thank you, that was what I thought. We're in a PV but might get the package.

Katie

Could you elaborate on being hustled/hassled to purchase jewelry on Celebrity. Also, I didn't realize gratuities and cocktails were included in the cruise fare on Viking, we were planning on purchasing the drink upgrade. Finally what are your thoughts on the included tours. My limited research leads me to believe the included tours are bus rides with a few photo ops and upgrades offer better trips.

Thanks,

Katie

On our last Celebrity cruise I was stopped while walking sown a hallway alone and asked to look at some jewellery. The thumbscrews were put on me when I told them, after trying on the jewellery, that I wasn't interested. I felt uncomfortable and very pressured, something I did not like at all.

I only drink wine at meals, so didn't find it necessary to upgrade to a drink package on Viking. Neither my husband and I are heavy drinkers, but found the prices for the odd drink that we did have on Celebrity to be high.

I think you are nitpicking and perhaps you like spending a lot of extra money on tours. We were more than pleased with what was included on Viking. We did take an extra tour on the free day, but that was all.

Viking works well for us. The basic cost of cruising on other lines might be lower, but being nickeled and dimed for everything spoils it for us, whichmis why we prefer Viking.

On our last Celebrity cruise I was stopped while walking sown a hallway alone and asked to look at some jewellery. The thumbscrews were put on me when I told them, after trying on the jewellery, that I wasn't interested. I felt uncomfortable and very pressured, something I did not like at all.

I only drink wine at meals, so didn't find it necessary to upgrade to a drink package on Viking. Neither my husband and I are heavy drinkers, but found the prices for the odd drink that we did have on Celebrity to be high.

I think you are nitpicking and perhaps you like spending a lot of extra money on tours. We were more than pleased with what was included on Viking. We did take an extra tour on the free day, but that was all.

Viking works well for us. The basic cost of cruising on other lines might be lower, but being nickeled and dimed for everything spoils it for us, whichmis why we prefer Viking.

I would have never stopped for a sales person, no less try on their wears.

If you do upgrade to a suite on Celebrity your gratuities, unlimited internet, premium beverage package and ship board credit is included. So what your not getting are the tours,

I haven't been on my Vikings cruise yet, but some of the other cruisers have commented that some of the included tours were not up to their standards. I hope I find them ok..On Regent you have a choice of 4 to 5 included tours each day.

We do enjoy a martini or two, like good wine at dinner, and get the premium package on X as well we have purchased the Silver beverage package on Viking.

We are looking forward to our first Viking cruise, and then we may think we need a second look at celebrity choices, but I think we will enjoy both.

That's probably because, as a Canadian, you didn't have your 'New York elbows' out. Body language shows them which customers to pounce on. We hardly get a notice :D

For the price of sailing on Viking you can get a Suite on Celebrity, which includes the GO BEST package, so no 'nickel and diming' about beverage packages or specialty restaurants -- just tell them you're in a suite. And like I said, the 'New York attitude' scares off the photographers too. It totally transforms the Celebrity experience.

Nitpicking, I don't think so, but a bus tour with a few stops for photos is not our thing. Instead of assuring me that my perception of Viking's included tours are more substantional than bus rides with photo ops, you felt the need to say I was perhaps nitpicking and like to spend extra money. As you are someone who has taken the included tours please let me know what they entail.

Thanks, Katie

That's probably because, as a Canadian, you didn't have your 'New York elbows' out. Body language shows them which customers to pounce on. We hardly get a notice :D

For the price of sailing on Viking you can get a Suite on Celebrity, which includes the GO BEST package, so no 'nickel and diming' about beverage packages or specialty restaurants -- just tell them you're in a suite. And like I said, the 'New York attitude' scares off the photographers too. It totally transforms the Celebrity experience.

Like your NY attitude. As a New Yorker, born and bred, but transplanted to California many years go..we have not lost our New York Swagger.

Hi, regarding the included tours, I have scanned through this thread but cannot see which itinerary you are on. There are some very helpful people on this board and I am sure you will get some answers. I can help but only on Empires of the Mediterranean.

In general I dislike ships tours but since they were included we tried them. Most of our cruising has been on the Med and we have visited most of the stops several times before. On our cruise we found that the included tours were very useful if we hadn't been there before ie. Kotor, Koper. Zadar. In the places we had visited before i.e. Athens, we used the included tour to take us to the city and then to the Archeological Museum which we had not previously seen (not to the confused the with new Museum near the Parthenon). We then used the Viking shuttle later in the day to return to the ship. Similarly in Corfu we visited a viewpoint we had not been to, and then used the shuttle to return to the ship from Corfu town. Same in Katokolon, we went with the tour to Olympia, but stayed on in town. Again in Dubrovnik the included tour took us into a Museum we had not previously visited.

The walking tours we went on in places new to us were great. We were so impressed by the young and enthusiastic guides. They were extremely patriotic about their various countries (Croatia, Slovenia, Montenegro). They all spoke about 5 languages .

Nitpicking, I don't think so, but a bus tour with a few stops for photos is not our thing. Instead of assuring me that my perception of Viking's included tours are more substantional than bus rides with photo ops, you felt the need to say I was perhaps nitpicking and like to spend extra money. As you are someone who has taken the included tours please let me know what they entail.

Thanks, Katie

There is not one set answer to your question regarding Viking included tours. We took both optional and included tours, and each one was different. I don't think that any of the included tours we took were only bus rides (though there was some of that) with photo stops. For instance, the included tour in Santorini included the bus ride around the island with a local guide, but there were also stops in Oia and Thira for walking tours. In Thira, Viking provides a ticket for the cable car so that you can remain in town and return to the tender at your leisure. We stayed long enough to wander and have lunch on our own.

In Dubrovnik, the included tour involved a bus ride to an elevated lookout to see the walled Old Town from above, (yes, a photo stop) followed by an charming local guide who took us all through town to the sites of interest. We did go inside several sites, including a moving memorial to all the young men who were lost in the war. There is time on your own at the end. There are also regular shuttles during the time in port, so we stayed behind and bought our own tickets to walk the walls and then eat lunch.

The Viking website provides a pretty accurate description of each of the excursions. It should be noted that there are a number of groups, and sometimes different guides for different groups. Obviously, different guides have different personalities, and some are better than others. There was only one guide who was disappointing, and we ended up leaving the group mid-tour as we were docked right in town (Zadar, Croatia) and the entire tour was a walking tour.

THIS previous post.

There is no one answer Included tours vary substantially. A function of port (distance for bus ride) and guides as always.

We take a few included tours, lots of optional tour$ and some private tours, e.g. St Petersburg 2 days.

Thanks Mrs Miggins, lackcreactivity and philw1776, I really appreciate your input. We'll take a look at the included tours when they are released and go from there.

Sorry OP, we are now off topic.

Katie.

I'm finding this thread very interesting. We did a Rhine river cruise with Viking last year and loved it. We were very impressed with the ship, the service and the Viking experience.

Most of our cruises have been on Carnival - partly because it's the line my family can afford and we often cruise with them, but mostly because it was convenient in our busy working days.

Now we're retired and can spend more time getting to a cruise and some days at the port of embarkation/debarkation.

We have a Viking Ocean West Indies Explorer cruise booked and are looking forward to it but we're open to other lines. I'm looking at this question from the opposite side.

Would we like Celebrity?

We dislike the mega ships that are more theme park, shopping mall, entertainment complex than actual ship.

Viking gets the thumbs up in that category. If their ocean ships compare with their river ships in decor and ambiance (and from the photos I've seen, they do), I'll be very happy.

We don't look for all inclusive but we do want to know what the costs will be upfront. I don't like unplanned for added expense. Viking covers all that to our satisfaction.

I am looking at other upscale cruise lines so we have a broader choice. One thing we don't want is stuffy [emoji16]. We don't want to have to bring a whole wardrobe of dress up clothes. We prefer a more casual atmosphere - DH more than I [emoji41]

I'm not talking ripped jeans, shorts and graphic tees at dinner [emoji12] but DH doesn't want to have to wear a jacket and tie or a suit on vacation. Remember we're retired [emoji16]

Viking is wonderful in that aspect while I have read of other lines that still expect that level of formality. Not for us.

We would consider the Celebrity Summit but no larger - if it went on an itinerary we were interested in. We do like the convenience of cruising from a port close to home.

Most Viking cruises we have to fly to.

So I'm following this to see if I could add Celebrity as an option. We're already quite satisfied with Viking, but a broad choice is good also.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Kat:

An excellent point - looking at why we/others would look to switch from Celebrity.

First, I think for those who didn't cruise with X years ago or are new to the line the product they are offering is nice. They've relaxed the dress code (no more "formal" nights) and moved the line to be more....trendy/hip, trying to attract younger people/families. The ships rely more and more on bells and whistles. For instance the new Edge ship is expected to offer a bar that lowers to the water level down the side of the ship to become a tender station and a lounge area called Eden with people performing all around you while you try to enjoy a drink. X is hoping those changes will attract new customers.

The food on X is usually good to very good. The better food you pay for (at the Specialty restaurants). Service is almost always excellent. Entertainment is of the standard cruise variety.

We are looking forward to our Viking Ocean cruise in June '18 and are planning a Viking River cruise for the Christmas markets season at the end of next year.

Thanks, Katie

I have placed a deposit on a Viking Ocean cruise for October 2018. What I don't like is that they don't tell you what tours are included until well after final payment date. Is there some place to find what tours are included on the seven day sailing from Venice to Athens?

Michael and Kathy

Chattanooga, TN

I have placed a deposit on a Viking Ocean cruise for October 2018. What I don't like is that they don't tell you what tours are included until well after final payment date. Is there some place to find what tours are included on the seven day sailing from Venice to Athens?

Michael and Kathy

Chattanooga, TN

Yes, there is a way. Follow this link (to the the Viking website and the itinerary you have just booked).

These are the excursions that are being offered on Day 2 of your cruise. You will see towards the top of the page a "next" arrow that will allow you to advance day by day through your cruise. Scroll down now and you will see a series of tours and one of them should be marked included. This is a generic page for the port and it does not take the seasons into account; the tours actually being offered will not be finalized until about 120 days before sailing and they are posted on MyVikingJourney.

Yes, there is a way. Follow this link (to the the Viking website and the itinerary you have just booked).

These are the excursions that are being offered on Day 2 of your cruise. You will see towards the top of the page a "next" arrow that will allow you to advance day by day through your cruise. Scroll down now and you will see a series of tours and one of them should be marked included. This is a generic page for the port and it does not take the seasons into account; the tours actually being offered will not be finalized until about 120 days before sailing and they are posted on MyVikingJourney.

Thank you for that information. It was very helpful. I can see why many people pay for other excursions--they look amazing.

Michael

Thank you for that information. It was very helpful. I can see why many people pay for other excursions--they look amazing.

Michael

You're welcome. I use the list of tours as a guidebook for each port to figure out what I want to see and how much we can do on our own.