P&O boarding times?

Jayneykul

Anyone who states that the American lines are not crowded or chaotic at boarding has never cruised from Miami or Fort Lauderdale, if you do not believe me just take a look at their sites.
Well we've boarded twice from Fort Lauderdale and twice from Miami, once from Tampa and 5 times from Port Canaveral.

From kerb to security, to check in, to cabin in Fort Lauderdale took 15 - 20 mins maximum at around 11:00 am. Miami, 30 minutes, again at around 11:00 clear security then check in, the longest in Tampa 45 mins at 10:30 after security scanning and then checking in. Port Canaveral never more than 45 minutes, again at around 10:30 - 11:00, short line for security, then proceed to check in, then join line for boarding.

It's busy but I would never call it chaotic. But then again I don't know what cruise line you are referring to. All of ours above, except 1 were with RCI, but even Carnival at Port Canaveral wasn't busy, nor chaotic and wait time was short.

Let's take Barcelona or Civitavecchia.

Barcelona - short line to get through security at the terminal entrance, then into the check in hall, 10 - 15 mins max wait, check in, then onto the ship. All by 11 am.

Civitavecchia, best embarkation ever, boarded twice there, walked into the terminal, through the security scanners, no lines at check in, 10 mins and on board!

Southampton - MSC - 15 mins clearing security, then checked in, and on board by 11:30. RCI - clear security, check in, on board by 11:30. P&O, wait for check in, wait for call to security, clear scanners and board ship - 1 hour.

See the pattern? Doing the security scanning first, then check in seems to work better.

So I don't agree that it is crowded and chaotic in the US, Spain nor Italy.

Well we've boarded twice from Fort Lauderdale and twice from Miami, once from Tampa and 5 times from Port Canaveral.

From kerb to security, to check in, to cabin in Fort Lauderdale took 15 - 20 mins maximum at around 11:00 am. Miami, 30 minutes, again at around 11:00 clear security then check in, the longest in Tampa 45 mins at 10:30 after security scanning and then checking in. Port Canaveral never more than 45 minutes, again at around 10:30 - 11:00, short line for security, then proceed to check in, then join line for boarding.

It's busy but I would never call it chaotic. But then again I don't know what cruise line you are referring to. All of ours above, except 1 were with RCI, but even Carnival at Port Canaveral wasn't busy, nor chaotic and wait time was short.

Let's take Barcelona or Civitavecchia.

Barcelona - short line to get through security at the terminal entrance, then into the check in hall, 10 - 15 mins max wait, check in, then onto the ship. All by 11 am.

Civitavecchia, best embarkation ever, boarded twice there, walked into the terminal, through the security scanners, no lines at check in, 10 mins and on board!

Southampton - MSC - 15 mins clearing security, then checked in, and on board by 11:30. RCI - clear security, check in, on board by 11:30. P&O, wait for check in, wait for call to security, clear scanners and board ship - 1 hour.

See the pattern? Doing the security scanning first, then check in seems to work better.

So I don't agree that it is crowded and chaotic in the US, Spain nor Italy.

Got to agree, we have similar experience with those ports as well. Either rci or celebrity,

We always self disembark as well, and roll our bags off, at the best time that suits us, never had to wait, no queues etc.

I was even expecting a long wait in Miami last November, but no one at I migration so straight off,

I am not sure what the chaos is? Personally I like structure and I just can't get my head around why some people want to attempt to get on early.

As I said sometimes, maybe some people get to the terminal early because the roads are clearer than anticipated but even so they shouldn't expect to board early.

As far as I can see if too many people get there too early they are causing the problem as surely a staggered boarding is best.

Maybe the next time I will feel differently as we will be driving not using the coach but it seems those who purposely get there much earlier than their allotted time in the hope they get boarded early are the ones who cause the problems.

I can't get my head around believing it is anything else - unless I am missing something.

If you've got (say) a 2 hour drive to the terminal, the ship sails at 4.30, and your boarding time is 3.30, what time are you going to aim for? Bearing in mind if you get there too early you may have to sit and wait for a couiple of hours; if you get there too late, you may have to miss three days holiday and pay a fortune for a late booking flight. You'd tend to early rather than late, wouldn't you?

If your time is 3.30, you aim for 2 pm, and if the roads are clear you get there shortly after 1. That's the way it is and always will be. People won't risk missing a holiday just to try and reduce crowding at the terminal.

We travel by coach from the NW and have done for many years. Many have stated that coaches have priority and jump the queue, I'm not sure who started this myth but it has NEVER happened to us. When you arrive at the terminal they check your boarding time like everyone else. If you arrive after allocated time then you can join the queue but if your time is say 3.30 and it's 230 then u wait with the rest. It's total nonsense to say coaches have priority. They haven't got a clue whether u are on a coach or not.

While I'm at it saying the ship sails at 4.30 is another myth. May be years ago they did but in reality it's around 5.30 at the earliest. I've not been on Adonia and it's possible that could depart sooner but the larger ships don't.

Edited by my marina bay

We travel by coach from the NW and have done for many years. Many have stated that coaches have priority and jump the queue, I'm not sure who started this myth but it has NEVER happened to us. When you arrive at the terminal they check your boarding time like everyone else. If you arrive after allocated time then you can join the queue but if your time is say 3.30 and it's 230 then u wait with the rest. It's total nonsense to say coaches have priority. They haven't got a clue whether u are on a coach or not.

While I'm at it saying the ship sails at 4.30 is another myth. May be years ago they did but in reality it's around 5.30 at the earliest. I've not been on Adonia and it's possible that could depart sooner but the larger ships don't.

DaiB gave me excellent advice when he posted the boarding times of each deck of every P&O ship.

Thank you DaiB.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

...Many times you can't check into a hotel bedroom until 4pm, but the hotel will never stop you enjoying the facilities before then, because every minute you're on their property is more opportunity for them to earn revenue from you. P&O obviously can't see this, or more likely don't care about their customers....

But most hotels do not have between 1800 and 4500 guests checking out and another 1800 - 4500 checking in the same day. Hotels also do not have to worry about getting everyone security screened either and generally have a lot more space for people to hang around in.

My last two cruises, I have arrived at the Mayflower Terminal 30 & 60 minutes ahead of schedule and on both occasions have been waved straight into the check-in queue as they were ahead of schedule.

My understanding from talking to coach passengers is that when they enter the hall they are fast tracked through check in and then on to the ship. We are talking about the official P&O coach. Eavesway do not get the same privilege so if you are with them you take your given checkin time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My understanding from talking to coach passengers is that when they enter the hall they are fast tracked through check in and then on to the ship. We are talking about the official P&O coach. Eavesway do not get the same privilege so if you are with them you take your given checkin time.

Our second last cruise we saw this in action, some of the coaches were late and the coach passengers definitely got priority which resulted in us waiting well beyond our arrival time ( having arrived at the time allocated).

We have used the coach 3 times since the introduction of the staggered boarding system, on 2 occasions a young lady gave us a grey card as we left the coach and we were directed straight to check in even though there were a lot of people sitting waiting. On the other occasion the coach was very late due to traffic problems and everyone else was already on board and there were 2 check in desks open waiting for us. So yes I would say that official P&O coach passengers are given priority, I cannot say what happens with coaches that are not Intercruises.

When was the new embarkation system introduced?:)

That would be July/Aug 15 it was introduced for Britannia and spread to the rest of the fleet by Oct of that year.

It isn't a rumour 'my marina bay' - this process has definitely been in place for the official coaches ever since they introduced the new tightened up embarkation system. :)

It could depend on the time the coach arrives or how far some of the passengers have traveled. !? It's a bit like the upgrade options we've always been offered a different type of cabin others had never heard of it!!;)

We used the official coach transfer and were treated like normal passengers. We waited an age to board ... nothing special on that occasion. Can't see how they would know we were from a coach .... just sent to terminal and left to it.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Dai, do you happen to have a rather fetching fussia pink collered tea shirt with Harrogate (or some such) on the shoulder?

No it says Harrogate on one sleeve so clearly not me.

:). :). :)

Well here is my recent experience of embarkation on Britannia. We had E deck and 2.30pm.

For the first time we stayed the night before as there were 5 ships in port. We stayed in a Premier Inn just outside Southampton which has a check out time of 12noon. So we hung around our hotel til nearly 12 and had a good big breakfast (i'm not worried about lunch then)

We thought we were too early to drive straight there as we were 20-30 mins away so we drove to Hythe and sat in the car watching the ships, listening to the radio etc.

We eventually got to Ocean terminal about 1.45, this was when I got a bit stressed as I've never seen so many queues of cars at Southampton and it was very hot!

We sat in rows just like you do at car ferries. However, we walked into the terminal building bang on time at 2.30pm and were therefore given the priority card and straight to the desk! From there we were about 20 mins until we walked on the ship and our luggage was waiting at our cabin!

So we were happy, but there were many many people sitting waiting to be called in the seats, the 3.30 people I guess. I don't know why so many decks on Britannia have a 3/3.30 check in, but we did leave on time at 6pm.

Food wise, we got some cheese and biscuits in the buffet about 4.30 to keep us going til dinner [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We used the official coach transfer and were treated like normal passengers. We waited an age to board ... nothing special on that occasion. Can't see how they would know we were from a coach .... just sent to terminal and left to it.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

We only use the coach in the winter but they have obviously changed the system since we used the coach in December 2015, I don't know what they were doing December last year because the coach was so late that they were holding the ship for us. Perhaps P&O have listened to the passengers who had to sit and wait whilst those on coaches with later embarkation times than them boarded as soon as they arrived.

I will come and say hello next time now that I know who you are, Loved the colour of that shirt.

BTW

Which cruise was I spotted on?

I go on so few.

:). :)

We sailed on Ventura on July 10th (fantastic cruise by the way)

Arrived at Ocean Terminal bang on our check-in time of 2.30pm but were surprised at the vast number of pax queueing at the desks - reminded me of airport check-in! - it was quite chaotic actually. The staff controlling the long queues appeared flustered and kept directing passengers from one queue to another.

Also there were hundreds of passengers awaiting their slot to check-in and some couldn't find seats.

Perhaps this is a normal occurrence at Ocean Terminal, Ventura being a much larger ship than Oriana where we sailed from Mayflower and had no holdups whatsoever and a smooth and speedy check-in process.