P&O boarding times?

Jayneykul

I cannot speak for others but for us we rarely eat lunch on embarkation day especially after what is normally a late breakfast in the hotel. However we do want to start our holiday as soon as possible, so to be on board early and able to relax is a priority for us, of course if all cruise lines operated similar to P&O then we would accept that this is the standard. But far from it the RCI group allow all their loyalty members to choose their own boarding time between 11:00 and 15:00, and strangely enough Les this does not result in the end of the world, or indeed huge queues and crowded departure lounges.

Which is why I fail to understand the P&O process, their main competitor at Southampton is able to cope with bigger ships and more passengers and they don't have anywhere near as long queues or crowded departure lounges. As a Carnival shareholder I want them to explain why they are so inefficient, and how they intend to improve things.

I think after many experiences with both lines P&O should follow the RC check in process.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I have never had a problem with boarding times. Sometimes we get 1330, sometimes 1530. We usually turn up at 1300 tp 1330, so we hand over our car and get into the terminal. Sometimes we are given a card and sit and eat our lunch in the terminal, and other times we check straight in, don't see the problem.

I have never had a problem with boarding times. Sometimes we get 1330, sometimes 1530. We usually turn up at 1300 tp 1330, so we hand over our car and get into the terminal. Sometimes we are given a card and sit and eat our lunch in the terminal, and other times we check straight in, don't see the problem.

We have never waited more than 30 minutes with the lettered cards.

I cannot speak for others but for us we rarely eat lunch on embarkation day especially after what is normally a late breakfast in the hotel. However we do want to start our holiday as soon as possible, so to be on board early and able to relax is a priority for us, of course if all cruise lines operated similar to P&O then we would accept that this is the standard. But far from it the RCI group allow all their loyalty members to choose their own boarding time between 11:00 and 15:00, and strangely enough Les this does not result in the end of the world, or indeed huge queues and crowded departure lounges.

Which is why I fail to understand the P&O process, their main competitor at Southampton is able to cope with bigger ships and more passengers and they don't have anywhere near as long queues or crowded departure lounges. As a Carnival shareholder I want them to explain why they are so inefficient, and how they intend to improve things.

Good points there John and I would think Intercruises would provide the same check in staff for all Carnival Brand ships, P&O, Princess, Cunard, HAL etc. So why can't the same systems be applied. I have not travelled RCI in UK, been on Celebrity from OZ, so cannot comment on how RCI group handles movement at Southampton. I have embarked Aurora, Oriana and Arcadia at Southampton and as a mere pleb turning up at the appointed time, have had to wait an hour or two so to check in.

Next year with B2B cruises on Adonia, departure 4pm, I reckon with a 700 pax ship, we could get to the dock on June 3 at 2.30pm and get on pretty quick would you say? We are on board for 35 days, so no rush. Like you said John, we also will have the late big 'Full English' at our hotel 90 minutes drive from Soton, so lunch on board won't be a big issue. Thank you.

Edited by NSWP

Good points there John and I would think Intercruises would provide the same check in staff for all Carnival Brand ships, P&O, Princess, Cunard, HAL etc. So why can't the same systems be applied. I have not travelled RCI in UK, been on Celebrity from OZ, so cannot comment on how RCI group handles movement at Southampton. I have embarked Aurora, Oriana and Arcadia at Southampton and as a mere pleb turning up at the appointed time, have had to wait an hour or two so to check in.

Next year with B2B cruises on Adonia, departure 4pm, I reckon with a 700 pax ship, we could get to the dock on June 3 at 2.30pm and get on pretty quick would you say? We are on board for 35 days, so no rush. Like you said John, we also will have the late big 'Full English' at our hotel 90 minutes drive from Soton, so lunch on board won't be a big issue. Thank you.

P&O not not use intercruises for check-in.

BTW we were checked in by 11.36 and boarding by 11.55.

:) :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

P&O not not use intercruises for check-in.

BTW we were checked in by 11.36 and boarding by 11.55.

:) :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

You are Caribou level so your boarding experience does not count.;p

I think maybe P&O recruit from the veterans branch of the WI for their check in staff.;)

(Awaiting inbound)

I asked this in another thread. I think with some people ( not saying they are on this board ) have the mentality of "'I've paid for this so I'm damn well going to get it " Just like people who raid the buffet on a tour day and make sandwiches to take out. This of course doesn't just happen on cruises. I've seen it in hotels.

I also can't see what the rush is. I am on holiday for goodness sake. It isn't a race.

I asked this in another thread. I think with some people ( not saying they are on this board ) have the mentality of "'I've paid for this so I'm damn well going to get it " Just like people who raid the buffet on a tour day and make sandwiches to take out. This of course doesn't just happen on cruises. I've seen it in hotels.

I also can't see what the rush is. I am on holiday for goodness sake. It isn't a race.

Your right there is plenty of food for everyone but the biggest example is the drink packages where some people don't know when to stop to get their money's worth.

We had to travel from up north so a 4 hour plus drive and we left early in case of roadworks,delays etc.. its good to get onboard early get unpacked and go and explore the ship

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My only experience of P & O was that we got a bus from Gatwick as we did a TA cruise and even when we eventually allowed on board we couldn't go straight to our cabin to unpack.

The cruise I am hoping to book lasts 12 days so an hour or 2 'exploring' really isn't important,

Now I see that there is no real benefit from an early boarding I shan't rush.

I also don't understand the mentality of people taking sandwiches with them when there are excursions, maybe a piece of fruit but seriously!!!! :D:D

You are Caribou level so your boarding experience does not count.;p

I think maybe P&O recruit from the veterans branch of the WI for their check in staff.;)

(Awaiting inbound)

The cheek, I am Baltic. :). :). :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

People had reassured me there was food available around the clock on P&O. Does this not apply to embarkation day? Is there a lunch sitting or something? Genuine question as I do not understand the dining yet. ( I get you pay or you can be allocated a sitting time in the dining room for dinner). How does lunch work?

My brother goes away for long weekends with some of his mates (abroad) for an all inclusive and he said some of them won't eat or drink anything not free.

I love my food although I am a bit fussy (not adventurous) but would have no problem buying something to eat locally.

I suppose it does become difficult with lots of different currencies but with plastic fantastic it shouldn't be a problem.

People had reassured me there was food available around the clock on P&O. Does this not apply to embarkation day? Is there a lunch sitting or something? Genuine question as I do not understand the dining yet. ( I get you pay or you can be allocated a sitting time in the dining room for dinner). How does lunch work?

Am no expert, but on the ships we have been in there buffet has always been open - though this can be chaotic! Last year on a fly / cruise they had a lunch BBQ on deck which was popular I think.

Not sure if they do lunch sittings on embarkation day though --- to be honest, we like to get on the ship early but it isn't for lunch - we just want to have a wander and soak up the atmosphere.

Exactly, and to start to contribute to the cruise lines coffers by purchasing a beverage or two.

That first sparkly at sailaway and that first Pina Colada (like Del Boy) tells me I am chilling and am on holiday ;-)

That first sparkly at sailaway and that first Pina Colada (like Del Boy) tells me I am chilling and am on holiday ;-)
Oh that sail away that's delayed because they haven't managed to get everyone on board due to the late boarding times, and as a result the late muster drill :)

Too late for me. That 'sparkly' is at least the 3rd of my cruise vacation on other lines (and that includes the welcome on board 'sparkly' on Celebrity at around 11:30 for all not just the higher loyalty club members). :)