Balcony or Oceanview room

Bluemoontets

We have taken a Moveover offer and going to Alaska for 10 days from San Fransisco next year. As part of the package we received a meta upgrade from an interior to an Obstructed view. I am toying with the idea of paying the extra to go for a balcony, just seeing the thoughts is it worth it? Your thought's would be appreciated.

We have taken a Moveover offer and going to Alaska for 10 days from San Fransisco next year. As part of the package we received a meta upgrade from an interior to an Obstructed view. I am toying with the idea of paying the extra to go for a balcony, just seeing the thoughts is it worth it? Your thought's would be appreciated.

We have sailed Princess to Alaska many times and ALWAYS do a balcony.

We spend hours on it and it's worth every penny to us

We usually do balconies (50 plus cruises). However, 2 out of our last 3 cruises, we've done O/S and O/S obst. 2 were to Mexico and 1 was Alaska. Balconies are nice. I love them. That said, it always breaks down to the cost difference. We very much enjoyed the O/S cabins and wouldn't think twice about booking them again. It's not that far to walk outside and moving is good. Whatever you choose, have an wonderful cruise.

Cheers

Balcony every time for us.

You get fresh air and first thing in the morning you can sit on your balcony in your pyjamas and watch as you come into port.

You can have a nightcap looking at the stars sitting on your balcony.

You only live once go for it IMO.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

We wouldn't travel without a balcony...and certainly not Alaska! We lived on our extra large caribe deck - had plenty of space for our boys to join us from across the hall.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always book a balcony, but an Alaskan cruise is the one itinerary for which I consider it a requirement. There is so much to see, you can sit outside and enjoy the fresh cool air, and the days are long so you should get a lot of use of the balcony.

Upgrade to a Balcony . That Alaska cruises include an all inclusive beverage package if you book a Balcony or highter.

Obstructed ocean view cabins aren't really anything more than glorified insided cabins with natuaral light.

It's a personal choice. The rooms are similar except a balcony has outdoor space.

Do you need fresh air? How much time do you plan to spend in your cabin?

Since it's an upgrade, you might be willing to pay the price difference for a balcony

We normally book an inside room.

The times we've gotten a mini suite I've enjoyed the space but we don't splurge unless we are traveling with friends next door to us who require the space

I will say my preference is enjoying the balcony but my pocket keeps booking an inside room

I'd say, try it if it's a reasonable up charge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love balconies and book them whenever I can. However, if the price is too high or I'm watching my budget I typically go for obstructed oceanview. I would also sail in an inside just to go. Prices all around are so much higher now so I look at each cruise and determine what I'm willing to pay. For Alaska I would do a balcony. :):):)

We cruise quite a bit and Alaska is our favorite itinerary of all of them!

We will book a balcony if it is affordable but I absolutely love many of the obstructed oceanview cabins on the Grand Class ships. I love the location .. it is so convenient to everything and many of them actually have good views. And, I always use Renmar's site to pick out an obstructed ov cabin with little to no obstruction!! They have proven to be much more than a 'glorified inside cabin' as someone has stated. To each his own, though.

This is a good site to study what your view will look like in the obstructed oceanview cabins ... it is invaluable!!

https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/golden-grand-star-princess

Just be sure your cabin is not over the theater, next to the exit from the elevator bank or across from where they bring in / take the luggage out. The soundproofing on Princess ships leaves a little to be desired. Be aware that in the obstructed oceanview rooms, when they drop the tenders, if it is right outside your window, it will most likely be really noisy ... but it doesn't last for long. We've stayed in E619 on this class and even though right across from laudromat, there was never any noise. E605 is also a good choice on the Grand class. We've liked being in E416 but there will be crew right outside your cabin at times (on the chaser boat). Convenient location, though but they do load the luggage on and off from nearby so the last night onboard might be noisy. There are some mid-forward cabins that are also a good choice.

Balconies up in Alaska can be quite a bit more expensive so my advice would be, if they are a lot more, save your money for excursions as when you are onboard, you are never too many steps away from being outside. Just another viewpoint to consider.

And, the Grand has a nice little sitting area at the aft of the ship.

I have sailed in all four cabin types. For Alaska, I would definitely recommend a balcony. If a whale swims by, you will want to be able to open the door and lean out to see it. The scenery is wonderful, too.

Alaska is the only itinerary that I really feel you should have a balcony if you can afford it. If you feel you can't, then go for the oceanview. The unobstructed ocean view cabins can actually be a bit noisy with the water slapping up against the sides, and the noise of the stabilizers. (Bring ear plugs for sleeping.)

Book a whale watching excursion no matter what!.

We have sailed to Alaska both ways... It all comes down to price and your budget. If your budget allows it is wonderful to have a balcony for that itinerary. We love being on the deck with binoculars and watching the scenery go by.

Balcony every time for us.

You get fresh air and first thing in the morning you can sit on your balcony in your pyjamas and watch as you come into port.

You can have a nightcap looking at the stars sitting on your balcony.

You only live once go for it IMO.

I agree ! Fresh air in the morning coming into port is wonderful as well as sitting out under the stars before you go to bed. Cannot see us not having a balcony. It is well worth the extra. Live, Love, Laugh No regrets !

Especially for Alaska, I'd take out a loan, if needed, to get a balcony. There's nothing like sitting out there in the morning with a cup of coffee or room service breakfast, watching that gorgeous scenery in your jammies!

I was blessed to see a few orcas one afternoon.

To me, there's no doubt that it's worth it.

Especially for Alaska, I'd take out a loan, if needed, to get a balcony. There's nothing like sitting out there in the morning with a cup of coffee or room service breakfast, watching that gorgeous scenery in your jammies!

I was blessed to see a few orcas one afternoon.

To me, there's no doubt that it's worth it.

Thats why we love balconies and we often sit out at 5 am as we enter ports and always get room service breakfast to eat on the balcony.

Ok as there appears to be more pro's than cons, going to call tomorrow and see what we can do with upgrading. At present we are on emerald deck aft is there any recommendations on best decks?

Si

Try for a deck where there are cabins above and below your cabin, avoid interconnecting cabins and try to get a cabin close to the middle of the ship.

Hope you get a good deal you won't be disappointed with a balcony cabin.