Thoughts on departure flight JFK

DeBlonde1

Cruising on Breakaway out of Manhattan and looking at return flights out of JFK. I have choices for 11:30am or 9pm on Sunday 9/10. I can do self assist debarkation and be in line at 7am- and I am willing to use a car service, taxi or Uber. I have had no issues with flights this time when cruising out of Miami, but I have never flown or cruised NY. I do have TSA pre-check if that helps. Thoughts? Thanks! :)

You will probably be fine unless there is a shortage of customs agents, then you are probably SOL.

Or if the ship arrives late, or if transportation to the airport gets stuck in a traffic jam. It all boils down to how much risk a person is willing to take. There's no margin for error . On the other hand since the next flight isn't until 9 pm I'd probably book the 11:30 am flight and take the risk.

I would not do 11:30 AM.

There is risk.

This includes; ship arriving late, insufficient immigration/customs personnel or other things such as not finding your luggage right away.

Does this happen? I have seen it happen arriving to New York City and other USA ports.

If you do not have TSA Pre Appr. remember that starting very soon that on the regular airport security lines that all electronics larger then smart phones (larger cameras too) will have to be removed from carry ons. This is going to likely make lines longer.

I just would not chance it. These days flights are full. So you miss the plane and aside from the penalty maybe no flights. Have you looked at other flights out of Laguardia and Newark New Jersey?

For me I do not like stress and I have seen things go very wrong on arrival to the Port of NYC and seen people screaming and cursing because the cut it too tight.

And like most things in life just because someone on the last cruise made it in time has not baring on the next cruise.

Keith

I agree with Keith. Have you explored the EWR and LGA options? What airport are you trying to fly to? It looks like you're from Minnesota. Aside from any issues with the ship arriving late, JFK is the farthest airport from Manhattan with the most potential points of failure in getting there.

If you look at flights departing LGA on Sept 10, please be aware that there is a NY Mets game that afternoon, and it is also the final day of the US Open tennis tournament. That will mean a lot of additional traffic in the area that day so you should allow a significant increase in travel time to the airport.

The airline I need to fly only goes through JFK. About how long will it take to get there from the cruise port on a Sunday morning? If I decide to risk it, what is the quickest transportation method?

Traffic is very variable in NY City. Figure the trip to be a minimum of 40-45 minutes, but it wouldn't be totally out of the question for it to take twice that long. You never really know.

I would reserve a car service such as Dial 7 or Carmel Limo.

If you do self debarkation, you should be OK with 11:30 flight- Taxi or Uber would be best bet. If alternative were something like 1:00 PM, I would prefer that, but the very small risk involved in 11:30 makes 9:00 PM just too late.

Sunday AM traffic between west side Manhattan and JFK should be light - perhaps 1/2 hour travel time.

MCT's port schedule showing 4 ships docking, 3 of them doing turnaround + 1 as port of call on Sun. 9/10 - the day before the anniversary of 9/11 where security around the NYC is typically tighter all around. Taxi & car services availability, including Uber might be a little stretched - some will be in Queens for U.S. Tennis Open.

Depending on weather & road conditions, it's possible to reach LGA in 20 to 30 minutes or less via RFK or QMT, but not JFK, ideally in 40 or 45 minutes.

We've been at MCT sailing on the Gem and the BA where the ship arrived back just on time or slightly late, docking at 8 AM and not starting the walkoff for anyone until 8:30 - and that's when folks rushed to get off. We sailed this May where folks were still coming off the smaller Gem at 10 AM, making their way down to go thru CBP downstairs - on a beautiful, sunny Saturday morning.

Most of the time, BA and Gem are back & docked at MCT by/before 7 AM, obtained clearance & begin Express/Priority walk-off as early as 7:30 AM - and, we usually wait till 8:30, make our way downstairs to get our luggage, use porter's service and get outside for ground transportation by 9 to 9:15 AM. If we're to catch a domestic flight at JFK, we would likely get there by 10 to 10:15 AM, with a small window to check luggage, go thru security & walk leisurely to the boarding gate.

Strategies: pack to travel light, carry-on luggage only (easier to bypass airport lines - don't assume Pre-Check lanes are staffed & open ... not always) and do Express/Priority walk-off, use porter services for faster exit thru CBP (and, the porter knows the trick/fast track to get a taxi ... maybe upstairs, especially when you are early) especially when minutes count if the ship is just on-time or delayed. Use the AFT gangway (for BA ship) as it is a shorter walk & closest to escalators toward street level (via CBP). Taxi to JFK is a flat metered rate + toll, although car services like Dial 7 or Carmel's pricing are competitive and same or slightly less.

While cruising up the Hudson, start checking Waze & Google Map for driving time/routes to JFK from MCT - that should give you a heads-up on what to expect. Once the ship sailed under VZ Bridge (Staten Island) - cellular signals are solid from outside deck/balconies - and, at least 1 hour before docking & able to head for the gangway.

Good luck & do come back post-cruise to share your success stories and timeline. Happy cruising !

• 1 month later...
MCT's port schedule showing 4 ships docking, 3 of them doing turnaround + 1 as port of call on Sun. 9/10 - the day before the anniversary of 9/11 where security around the NYC is typically tighter all around. Taxi & car services availability, including Uber might be a little stretched - some will be in Queens for U.S. Tennis Open.

Good luck & do come back post-cruise to share your success stories and timeline. Happy cruising !

Just though I would come back and update... The Breakaway was a little late getting back in and we didn't start debarkation until 9am. Needless to say, I was getting worried. However, I had been near the front of line - waiting since about 7 am and carried my own luggage off. I hustled through Customs and grabbed a cab. I was checked in at Terminal 4 and through security (TSA Pre check) by 10am. I had 50 minutes to spare before the plane started boarding for my 11:35am flight. I am sure I got lucky but it helps that traffic is typically light on Sunday mornings. I will add that my airline is a charter with only one apparent flight out - so no major lines at check in like Delta or United might have. Thanks for the advice all- I was happy to be home early so I could make it back to work today. :rolleyes: LOL

... Breakaway was a little late getting back in and we didn't start debarkation until 9am ... hustled through Customs and grabbed a cab. I was checked in at Terminal 4 and through security (TSA Pre check) by 10am. I had 50 minutes to spare before the plane started boarding for my 11:35am flight. I am sure I got lucky but it helps that traffic is typically light on Sunday mornings ...
Glad to know it worked out, thanks & also appreciative that we get a post-cruise summary on the hiccups.

Taxi driver must've took the Queens Midtown Tunnel & ran like a rabbit to get you there in ~40 minutes or so.

The Gem was also running a little late coming back Saturday - any ideas was it harbor traffic?

Glad to know it worked out, thanks l

Taxi driver must've took the Queens Midtown Tunnel & ran like a rabbit to get you there in ~40 minutes or so.

?

We went over a bridge and I think he said something about the 59? He gave me a choice and I said whatever is quickest. I am not familiar with the area. Lol