restaurant recommendations at Waikiki?

Suitcasefull

We'll be in a couple of days early before POA cruise. Anyone have suggestions about good places to catch an evening meal? We have tours during the days. Prefer not to have to go a long way and know there must be some great spots to eat in the Waikiki Marriott area if we knew how to find those. Not picky about type of food; just good (reasonable would be nice but wonder about that in Hawaii!) Thanks for any advice.

We'll be in a couple of days early before POA cruise. Anyone have suggestions about good places to catch an evening meal? We have tours during the days. Prefer not to have to go a long way and know there must be some great spots to eat in the Waikiki Marriott area if we knew how to find those. Not picky about type of food; just good (reasonable would be nice but wonder about that in Hawaii!) Thanks for any advice.

Head to the flagship Roy's in Hawaii Kai.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like going to the spaghetti factory at Wards Mall. Great food reasonable prices. Been there for 40 years.

Are you kidding? A Spaghetti Factory?- perhaps the worst example of Italian food that exists (next to Olive Garden). Even an L and L chain location in Hawaii had far better food.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

You are on vacation and you want to visit a tourist chain restaurant?????? Stay away from the spaghetti factory, cheesecake factory, Bubba Gump, Margaritaville, etc., and go "local".

Marukame Udon. Very inexpensive (less than $15/person), unique food, good food. It serves several types of Udon and tempura. It does no reservations. You line up with everyone else, grab a tray and go down the line. Tell the person behind the udon station the type you want, follow to the tempura and pick out what you want, tell the cashier if you want a drink, pay your bill IN CASH ONLY, and then find a seat. OK. it is a chain, but it's a Japanese chain and this outlet and one other downtown are the only ones outside of Japan. Visit the website to see what they offer. Really good food. My favorite is the Otama Bukkake Udon. I ate there for several of my dinners the last time I was in Honolulu - http://www.toridollusa.com/menu-waikiki.php

Marukame is on Kuhio Ave, right behind where the International Marketplace used to be.

The bar at Dukes was the other place I ate at. I always just grabbed a seat at the bar; sometimes I had to wait a while for one to open up. Very friendly barmen. My favorite item was the fish tacos, washed down with some Kona Longboard beer...

Are you kidding? A Spaghetti Factory?- perhaps the worst example of Italian food that exists (next to Olive Garden). Even an L and L chain location in Hawaii had far better food.

Spaghetti Factory!!!! Yuck, similar to canned pasta, gross.

Darcy

Is this really necessary? Posters do not like being made fun of--it is hurtful. Can't you just offer your suggestions without denigrating others?

Personally, I have done a Spaghetti Factory here or there when it is convenient? Also Olive Garden is one of my favorites, but I would most likely not go to one on vacation. So, guys, go at it.

Edited by pizzalady1

We really like Lulu's, which is open air and has great food. Good views and a very casual atmosphere. Always like Duke's. If you get a table in the bar you have good views and good food. Also, don't forget the Banyan Court at the Moana Surfrider. The night music, sounds of the ocean, sitting under a HUGE banyan tree, and good food is a wonderful experience. We do not tend to eat huge meals in the evening and often share an appetizer and entree. Lulu's and the Banyan Court are our favorites for this!!!!! Have a great time. Cherie

Thank you for the suggestions. Sounds like some good ones we can get to easily. The one under the banyan tree brings up a beautiful setting in my mind (haven't seen but a few banyan trees and love them!) Will go with local if possible since eat at chains here a lot and would prefer to try something different. (Our Spaghetti Warehouse closed a while back but it was fun.) I do appreciate all replies and input. One of the things I love about CC is people being willing to share their ideas and experiences. Sure beats having to guess at some place when we've just gotten to a city! So far, have been pleased any time we went to a place a fellow CC member suggested. I type up a list and keep in my bag! Looking forward to this trip since my first time to Hawaii! Thanks, again!

Is this really necessary? Posters do not like being made fun of--it is hurtful. Can't you just offer your suggestions without denigrating others?

Spoken like a kind person. :) Thank you. I replied to this because have been totally put down about some of comments or questions I had on one of the boards (not NCL or Hawaii) months ago. Don't frequent that board

any longer -- not because of being overly sensitive; just figured there was no reason to inflict my comments on that group so would save them. :D

• 2 weeks later...
I like going to the spaghetti factory at Wards Mall. Great food reasonable prices. Been there for 40 years.
You might enjoy doing s dinner cruise. It gives you a really good view of Diamond Head and Waikiki.

Sorry, but those are two of the worst ideas I've ever heard for Honolulu. The dinner cruises are very expensive and have horrible food and the Spaghetti Factory has horrible food.

The best suggestions so far have been The House Without a Key at Halekulani and Duke's Canoe Club in the Outrigger Waikiki Hotel.

I'd actually go to Halekulani and have cocktails at the The House Without a Key (HWAK) and then dinner across the lawn at Orchids. It is the quintessential Waikiki/Honolulu dining experience.

Duke's is nice, but I like Hula Grill from the same company upstairs better.

I love Roy's Hawaii Kai, but it it no where near Waikiki.

You could go expensive one night at Halekulani and go inexpensive the next at the Barefoot Beach Cafe at Queen's Beach.

Tiki's Grill at the Marriott is nice as well.

<snip>

I love Roy's Hawaii Kai, but it it no where near Waikiki.

<snip>

The Roy's location the poster was probably referring to is the one in Waikiki at 226 Lewers St. It sits on the corner with large flaming torches around the entry. It is essentially right across the street from the Halekulani where the House Without a Key is located.

I never knew Roy's had a second location. The one at Hawaii Kai ( a neighborhood well to the east of Waikiki ) is the "original" Roy's.

The Roy's location the poster was probably referring to is the one in Waikiki at 226 Lewers St. It sits on the corner with large flaming torches around the entry. It is essentially right across the street from the Halekulani where the House Without a Key is located.

I never knew Roy's had a second location. The one at Hawaii Kai ( a neighborhood well to the east of Waikiki ) is the "original" Roy's.

Flatbush Flyer said very clearly "Head to the flagship Roy's in Hawaii Kai."

Hawaii Kai is no where near Waikiki.

Roy's also has a location at Ko Olina and a new Roy's concept at Turtle Bay.

Flatbush Flyer said very clearly "Head to the flagship Roy's in Hawaii Kai."

Hawaii Kai is no where near Waikiki.

Roy's also has a location at Ko Olina and a new Roy's concept at Turtle Bay.

Your initial response told others that the Hawaii Kai location was nowhere near Waikiki, but you did not offer the info that there is also a Roy's in Waikiki, which is why I posted that info. I really don't know why Flatbush Flyer suggested the Hawaii Kai location, maybe he was confused, or maybe he just prefers that one.

Thanks for the info that there is also a Roy's in Ko Olina and Turtle Bay.

• 3 weeks later...