Does anyone else lose weight when they cruise?

Fred Quimby

If you lose weight on a cruise you ain't doing it right. :D

This. I'm very active in my regular life and eat moderately so I've settled into the weight that works for me. It's not possible to be more active on the cruise. Even with walking miles a day and doing stairs the best I come is even with what I do at home (per week bike 30-50 miles, run 9-20 miles, etc).

Vacation is when I get to do the things I never do at home - have bacon or waffles for breakfast. Drink every day. Day drink. Have dessert daily.

So, no, don't gain but def don't lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I lost 1lb on our first cruise! We did loads of walking in port and always took the steps on board as we are active people, but by no means was the weight loss intentional! We had dessert with every meal and ate/drank whatever we wanted. I kept feeling like I wanted to pig out more on all the tasty food but we just aren't that good at gluttony haha.

I have lost a little weight or at least firmed up a bit on my 2 cruises. We cruise in the winter and take advantage of the beautiful weather to be more active than we are at home during that season.

We have had the UBP on both of our cruises, and we have it again in December. I drink all day long on vacation, and I eat everything I'm genuinely hungry for (no stuffing myself after I'm already full) and still the extra activity balances things out.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

I find that I gain a few pounds on a cruise, but I think it's mainly because most of the food has a lot more salt than I am used to at home. I retain a lot of water throughout the cruise. The weight is gone within a day or two of leaving the ship. We typically do very active excursions, and we all run around all over the ship and I'm sure that helps keep the weight down.

we eat a big breakfast, then usually snack for lunch, then dinner. we dont drink alcohol before noon, i limit myself to one "ice cream" drink a day, max (i.e, bushwhacker, mudslide, etc) and we take the stairs 90% of the time on a mega ship, closer to 100% of the time on a smaller ship. we also tend to do excursions that are physical in nature vs. bus tours/laying on the beach.

it also helps that NCL's desserts are subpar. I LOVE dessert and sweets, but often skip this course as they just arent that appealing.

i usually come home the same weight.

The only time I lost weight was when I caught the noro virus, other than that I gain 3-5 pounds.:(

What happened to you? Did they kick you off the ship or quarantine you? Genuinely interested in knowing what they did.

I have almost always lost a few pounds. Not only from the extra walking and activity but also because the food is less than appealing to me. I have booked our first NCL cruise and have hopes that the food is a little better than we experience with Carnival and RCI.