Flying to San Juan

cltnccruisers

What matters most to you? Lowest price, most comfortable (or least uncomfortable) seats in coach, number of stops, total travel time, time of departure, time of arrival, number of flight options if your flight is cancelled?

Are you flying out of Charlotte? What other departure airports are possible?

Once you have decided your priorities, check matrix itasoftware for flights that most closely fit your criteria. In September, for example, the cheapest one way fare from CLT to SJU is on Frontier for $122......but.....it is on a Wednesday, a day inconvenient for many cruises, and it arrives at 12:39 am. Personally, I'd pick a Delta flight arriving the day before. But that's just me.

What matters most to you? Lowest price, most comfortable (or least uncomfortable) seats in coach, number of stops, total travel time, time of departure, time of arrival, number of flight options if your flight is cancelled?

Are you flying out of Charlotte? What other departure airports are possible?

Once you have decided your priorities, check matrix itasoftware for flights that most closely fit your criteria. In September, for example, the cheapest one way fare from CLT to SJU is on Frontier for $122......but.....it is on a Wednesday, a day inconvenient for many cruises, and it arrives at 12:39 am. Personally, I'd pick a Delta flight arriving the day before. But that's just me.

We'll be doing a couple of days front end and at least one back end so weekdays are a definite possibility. Thanks for the site info.

Do you want dependable or do you want to take a chance on a ULCC that may or may not get you there???? ;)

Depending on which part of the SE USA you are talking about, Delta, American will get you there reliably. Not sure where WN flies out of the SE to SJU, but it would be a choice, also. Personally, I would steer clear of Spirit or Frontier. Not too many choice for re-routing, and there are anecdotal postings of people waiting for days for re-accomodation if a plane goes mechanical. It is your financial and vacation comfort level that will decide your choice.

Any tips for flying to San Juan from Southeastern US? Preferred airlines or point of origin for example?

Just what do you mean by "tips"?

Without any specific questions or direction, my biggest tip would be - find an airplane that has functional wings, fuel and pilots. That's sorta the minimum.

Or is this another "what's the secret website and date where I can buy the cheapest ticket" post?

GIGO

Preferred airlines or point of origin for example?

My preferred point of origin is Charleston SC since that's where I live, but I don't know how helpful that is to you. My preferred airline is Delta because I have elite level status with them and because I prefer amass frequent flyer miles on a single airline to get the max benefit from them. But again- you may not find that particularly helpful for your situation.

Is there particular information you are looking for about certain cities or airlines? As someone said already, the SE covers a lot of ground and includes dozens and dozens of airports.

There is nothing specifically special about going into SJU, treat it just like any other U.S. airport chose the airline you prefer, the dollar amount you wish to spend and pick. I am not a fan of Spirit unless its a very short flight or the Big Front Seat is cheap. I have only used them a few times. Frontier, never used them and don't think I ever will.

Jetblue is great, and the rest are the rest. American would be your best option.

and I'm glad this thread is here! I'm looking for flights out of ATL in February 2018 for a possible Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan. When should I expect to find the most reasonable cost and what is considered "reasonable" by most? We always drive to ports in Florida, but obviously can't if we do this cruise. Thanks for any help you can offer!

and I'm glad this thread is here! I'm looking for flights out of ATL in February 2018 for a possible Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan. When should I expect to find the most reasonable cost and what is considered "reasonable" by most? We always drive to ports in Florida, but obviously can't if we do this cruise. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Always happy to help the school nurse. That's the kind of thing I was wondering about. How long is it safe to wait, for example.

I'm gathering from some responses that there is no set answer to that one. I'm thinking as we get within 6 months we'll start looking but make sure we can cancel without a hit if we find something better.

We've flown cross country and to Europe for cruises a few times and airfare can be more than the cost of the cruise.

Always happy to help the school nurse. That's the kind of thing I was wondering about. How long is it safe to wait, for example.

Depends what you mean by "safe". If you mean any seats to SJU, that's one thing. If you mean "cheap seats", that's another. There is NO "best time to buy", and one has to do a risk analysis: Are you willing to risk the price going up (and significantly up) in order to obtain a potentially small reduction in the price. In other words, are you willing to risk the price going up by $150 or more per ticket in order to save $25? Or whatever savings you are hoping for.

I'm thinking as we get within 6 months we'll start looking but make sure we can cancel without a hit if we find something better.
You may want to reconsider this. Just how are you thinking that you can cancel without a "hit"? If you are talking about a refundable ticket, those are generally full-fare tickets several times the price of a discounted one. Or are you wanting to get "insurance" that allows for cancellation for any reason? Those policies are pricey. And what do you mean by "something better"? Better cruise? Better airline pricing?

We've flown cross country and to Europe for cruises a few times and airfare can be more than the cost of the cruise.
There is absolutely NO connection between cruise cost and airfare costs. Why one should expect a correlation is beyond me. If I fly to Los Angeles and stay at the Beverly Hills Hotel, my airfare will be less than my hotel. If I fly to Buenos Aires, even at the best hotels, my airfare will be more than the hotel. No one thinks that way, but for some reason, they will with a cruise.

Depends what you mean by "safe". If you mean any seats to SJU, that's one thing. If you mean "cheap seats", that's another. There is NO "best time to buy", and one has to do a risk analysis: Are you willing to risk the price going up (and significantly up) in order to obtain a potentially small reduction in the price. In other words, are you willing to risk the price going up by $150 or more per ticket in order to save $25? Or whatever savings you are hoping for.

You may want to reconsider this. Just how are you thinking that you can cancel without a "hit"? If you are talking about a refundable ticket, those are generally full-fare tickets several times the price of a discounted one. Or are you wanting to get "insurance" that allows for cancellation for any reason? Those policies are pricey. And what do you mean by "something better"? Better cruise? Better airline pricing?

There is absolutely NO connection between cruise cost and airfare costs. Why one should expect a correlation is beyond me. If I fly to Los Angeles and stay at the Beverly Hills Hotel, my airfare will be less than my hotel. If I fly to Buenos Aires, even at the best hotels, my airfare will be more than the hotel. No one thinks that way, but for some reason, they will with a cruise.

Always the voice of reason and good advice:p

When should I expect to find the most reasonable cost and what is considered "reasonable" by most?

There is no best time. Sometimes the best price will be found immediately when the travel dates become available for sale. Sometimes the best price will be found 3 weeks before you travel. Or anywhere in between. There is no magic date, no magic formula, and no way to know you got the best price until after the flight has been flown and the tickets are no longer for sale. Decide what price you're comfortable with, and buy if and when you see that price.

I'm gathering from some responses that there is no set answer to that one. I'm thinking as we get within 6 months we'll start looking but make sure we can cancel without a hit if we find something better.

I'm with Flyertalker on this one.... what exactly do you mean by "cancel without a hit?" Fully non-refundable tickets are pricey, if that's what you mean.

There is no best time. Sometimes the best price will be found immediately when the travel dates become available for sale. Sometimes the best price will be found 3 weeks before you travel. Or anywhere in between. There is no magic date, no magic formula, and no way to know you got the best price until after the flight has been flown and the tickets are no longer for sale. Decide what price you're comfortable with, and buy if and when you see that price.

I'm with Flyertalker on this one.... what exactly do you mean by "cancel without a hit?" Fully non-refundable tickets are pricey, if that's what you mean.

That is what I meant, Meg. When I fly I don't usually consider that aspect.

Hmm....curious statement. Can't figure it out. Hopefully, we've given enough info at this point, which I suspect is a time very early in a planning process.

Correct. In fact I mentioned to my wife that I may have actually jumped the gun a bit. Thanks for all the input.

You don't list your travel dates, but if you are planning to travel during President's week, many school districts have a break during that time. Probably the lower fare classes for those dates are long gone. Holiday periods = high demand = higher prices.

I have a trip to Europe leaving the middle of December through Christmas. I bought tickets in July. Fares have now gone up over $600 per person, as the lower fare classes have sold out.

It may be a good idea to seriously look at air fare now for next February.