Mardis Gras? I'm kinda not loving it...

grinthock

So, try and keep an open mind while we talk about this one....  

So the internet is flooded with content about the Carnival Mardis Gras, and I will admit I am not a Carnival cruiser, but they keep saying this was supposed to get other customers (like RCI) get interested.

Is anyone else not feeling it?   I'm not trying to be the super negative poster here, but if Carnival doesn't hear messages like this - then - they won't know what people don't like.  The world isn't all rainbow's and unicorns and I don't think we should restrict ourselves to just talking about what we love. 

I'm not sure who designed that thing, but every video I see just keeps showing things that are of... questionable design. 

The "Havana Cabana" rooms - ok, if that's what you are into, fine, I like that you can walk from your room across a private deck to a bar/pool area and that's cool -- but with it so low on the ship,  it looks up to everyone else's rooms on the rest of the ship - and apparently people have been known to toss things down on that deck...  

Ask yourself if it's ever been possible for someone to throw an item down at you on a ship - it's not... for the next reason i'm about to post.

Who's idea was it to "bevel" or "multi level" the ship where lower decks - stick out - further than the decks above it?   This basically destroys any and all privacy that ships tend to offer in their staterooms.

I get the idea to build a shape of modern or unique design (Oasis Class on RCI) or just plain huge (NCL Epic) - but this just seems completely out of touch, where there isn't a single stateroom on the ship where the balcony has privacy, even the super-suite class you can see into the hot tubs from other parts of the ship. 

Anyone else here not feeling this?  It's really not encouraging me to try Carnival..

• Like 2

I like Carnival a lot.  The aft balconies on the Dream class ships are as you describe.  For that very reason I only book an aft balcony on deck 9.

My disdain for the Mardi Gras and her sisters is the rabbit hole (described by some as a home run) of the class system.

Try the Conquest class.  The Freedom is great.  

Happy sailing.

• Like 2

The Havana balconies don't have much privacy but that is not what they are about. The rest of the cabins have typical privacy. No issues. The ship was great! I will add though it was great at reduced capacity. Not sure how it will be when it sails full. 

It has been stated by those that have cruised, the Havana cabins and area are far superior on the Vista class ships, and major fail on Mardi Gras.

I cruise on RCI also, but you can’t beat free dining choices for breakfast and lunch on Carnival ships.

• Like 7

OP,

I agree with you 100%….it was the newest and biggest ship with more bells n whistles that would excite most folks…..however, not me.  I will stick with the smaller ships that gives ME the most comfort.  I posted MY experience on the Mardi Gras on another thread if you want to look it up.  To each their own🍻👍🏻

• Like 5

1 hour ago, grinthock said:

where there isn't a single stateroom on the ship where the balcony has privacy, even the super-suite class you can see into the hot tubs from other parts of the ship. 

The forward balconies are private nobody can see in.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Privacy.

On a ship crawling with 5,432 other humans.

Good Luck.

Ugh, yeah in my own stateroom, on my own balcony on pretty much every other ship - I literally get changed on my balcony and not a soul can see in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robo1098 said:

The Havana balconies don't have much privacy but that is not what they are about. The rest of the cabins have typical privacy. No issues. The ship was great! I will add though it was great at reduced capacity. Not sure how it will be when it sails full. 

So I get that, my issue is how those staterooms hurt the privacy and view of the rest of them

2 hours ago, grinthock said:

So the internet is flooded with content about the Carnival Mardis Gras, and I will admit I am not a Carnival cruiser, but they keep saying this was supposed to get other customers (like RCI) get interested.

Is anyone else not feeling it?   I'm not trying to be the super negative poster here, but if Carnival doesn't hear messages like this - then - they won't know what people don't like.  The world isn't all rainbow's and unicorns and I don't think we should restrict ourselves to just talking about what we love. 

I'm not sure who designed that thing, but every video I see just keeps showing things that are of... questionable design. 

The "Havana Cabana" rooms - ok, if that's what you are into, fine, I like that you can walk from your room across a private deck to a bar/pool area and that's cool -- but with it so low on the ship,  it looks up to everyone else's rooms on the rest of the ship - and apparently people have been known to toss things down on that deck...  

Ask yourself if it's ever been possible for someone to throw an item down at you on a ship - it's not... for the next reason i'm about to post.

Who's idea was it to "bevel" or "multi level" the ship where lower decks - stick out - further than the decks above it?   This basically destroys any and all privacy that ships tend to offer in their staterooms.

I get the idea to build a shape of modern or unique design (Oasis Class on RCI) or just plain huge (NCL Epic) - but this just seems completely out of touch, where there isn't a single stateroom on the ship where the balcony has privacy, even the super-suite class you can see into the hot tubs from other parts of the ship. 

Anyone else here not feeling this?  It's really not encouraging me to try Carnival..

The issues you bring up are not Carnival specific. Granted i am a loyal carnival customer but i look at pictures and deck plans for all cruise lines and im pretty sure RCL and others have very similar designs.

• Thanks 1

I will wait until I sail on it to decide if I like it.  Since privacy on a balcony isn't something on my list, then lack of it wouldn't bother me.  There are other design features that are important such as decent seating in the theaters, shady areas outside for lounging, and a variety of areas indoors to sit.  I also like a decent design for the buffet areas so that crowding isn't an issue when getting food.  A wide variety of food options is a huge plus.  

Anyway, based on the pictures I have seen of the Mardi Gras, I think I will find many aspects of the ship to enjoy.  I'll see in April.  Until then, I will keep an open mind.  I won't knock it until I've tried it.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

I like Carnival a lot.  The aft balconies on the Dream class ships are as you describe.  For that very reason I only book an aft balcony on deck 9.

My disdain for the Mardi Gras and her sisters is the rabbit hole (described by some as a home run) of the class system.

Try the Conquest class.  The Freedom is great.  

Happy sailing.

I just got off the Magic today (and I've been on the Breeze and Dream), and I realize I prefer the smaller Conquest-sized ships you describe. Any ships larger than 100K tons are kinda too big for me, so I'm in no rush to try the Mardi Gras. I was on the second sailing of the Sunrise in 2019 and LOVED it. The Magic was fine but stale in design and too big.

Edited by newpherchris
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, newpherchris said:

I just got off the Magic today (and I've been on the Breeze and Dream), and I realize I prefer the smaller Conquest-sized ships you describe. Any ships larger than 100K tons are kinda too big for me, so I'm in no rush to try the Mardi Gras. I was on the second sailing of the Sunrise in 2019 and LOVED it. The Magic was fine but stale in design and too big.

Just curious. Have you been on the Vista yet. Ive been twice and i agree with you, i like the Conquest size the best. Out of the ones we've been on, the Vista is my least favorite. Im just wondering how it compares? 

6 hours ago, grinthock said:

So let me get this straight you haven’t even sailed on this ship but your on here trying to tear it apart? lol wut

don’t feed the trolls folks 

Edited by WhaleTailFlCruiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, newpherchris said:

Uh I hate to break it to you but the conquest class is all 100k+ Tons

12 minutes ago, AHS123 said:

At least they admitted they have an axe to grind 😉 

Axe.jpg

The irony here is Joan Crawford was a fan of American passenger ships. In the 1950s they didn't have balconies on cruise ships so perhaps Mommie Dearest would be thrilled sailing Mardi Gras.

• Like 3