Blu dress code - change

Albert Ross

Info received today:

Although the dress code in Blu (dining venue for AquaClass guests) has always mirrored the dress code of the main dining room, the *NEW* dress code for Blu will now be “Smart Casual and Above” for all nights of the cruise. As a note, the dress code for all speciality dining restaurants is already “Smart Casual and Above” for all nights of the cruise. The main dining room is the only venue where formal attire is required on formal nights.

That should put an end to all the dress code discussions :rolleyes:

Hubby & I will be on the Eclipse in 28 more days :D and although our dining room is Blu, we have no intentions of packing formal wear. Last year on the Solstice we were asked by the Blu staff why we were absent on formal nights. When we told them we did not bring formal wear they told us formal attire was not mandatory. But then you read the horror stories of people being turned away from Blu on formal nights or men handed a jacket to put on . . . Thanks again so much for your post.

Info received today:

Although the dress code in Blu (dining venue for AquaClass guests) has always mirrored the dress code of the main dining room, the *NEW* dress code for Blu will now be “Smart Casual and Above” for all nights of the cruise. As a note, the dress code for all speciality dining restaurants is already “Smart Casual and Above” for all nights of the cruise. The main dining room is the only venue where formal attire is required on formal nights.

That should put an end to all the dress code discussions :rolleyes:

Best news in years.Will be on the Silhouette,Aqua Class on Nov 6 and now can leave my suite home.

It is ironic. I love to watch all the other people dressed up in their finery, but don't like doing it myself. When we first started cruising I would dress up. I even bought my then, four year old son a tuxedo (he looked so cute - I still have the photo). As the years have passed my desire to dress up has faded, but my delight in seeing others dress up has not faded. If you are one of those who still dresses. Thank you.

I think it is nice to see people dressed for dinner. On formal nights if it is a tux fantastic, but if not a suit and dressy dress for women is great too. If you dont want to do this then use the buffet or room dining those one or two nights. I guess i am an old foggey but i think the dress code of the world has gone too casual. I know it is your vacation etc....but it is other peoples vacation also and they may enjoy dressing up!:confused:

Where did you get the info?

I'm actually disappointed.

Albert:

Do you have a citation for this, some type of authority. I don't care either way what they do however if this is true it certainly will clarify the previous confusion created by Celebrity's web site.

I think it is nice to see people dressed for dinner. On formal nights if it is a tux fantastic, but if not a suit and dressy dress for women is great too. If you dont want to do this then use the buffet or room dining those one or two nights. I guess i am an old foggey but i think the dress code of the world has gone too casual. I know it is your vacation etc....but it is other peoples vacation also and they may enjoy dressing up!:confused:

That of course is only your opinion. It is not fair to tell people who are following the dress code which may not be to your liking to go eat in their room or the buffet.

I hope some returning AQ cruisers will be able to confirm this. DH and I would just as soon leave the formal wear at home. But last January on Eclipse, we saw a man arrive at Blu on formal night and be given an ugly, ill fitting sport coat to wear. He did not look pleased, to say the least, and my DH commented that he would be quite uncomfortable to be put in that position.

We're booked in Aqua on the Summit for Oct. 2012 and are looking forward to dining in Blu. We will be "dressing up" most nights, as this is something we enjoy. Thanks for sharing this new info for those who prefer to dress more casually.

Has anyone noticed that the Celebrity web site has been substantially changed. The main dining wear page still has how many formal nights and smart casual nights there are however there is no longer a definition of what "formal wear' actually is on the ship....

Has anyone noticed that the Celebrity web site has been substantially changed. The main dining wear page still has how many formal nights and smart casual nights there are however there is no longer a definition of what "formal wear' actually is on the ship....

I hope the MDR changes its dress code also. I love dressing up but with the cost of luggage these days, I'd prefer to limit my clothing options.

We will be going on a 14 day TA. It will have 3 Formal Nights:eek: How to get everything into one suitcase.

"Formal Nights

Celebrity Cruises' memorable, formal evenings include activities such as the Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party and Dinner and the Captain's Farewell Dinner. Eveningwear should be planned for according to the length of your cruise".

It's actually still there, just under the heading of Renting Formal wear. Come on you know Celebrity couldn't get their website right the first time ;)

Good news for us. And qudos to Celebrity for making a clear cut decision.

We usually combine cruises with land trips. Like others have said, we have absolutely no intention of packing formal night clothing for 2 or 3 nights of a 4-6 week trip. We decided against AQ on two cruises because we were not about to pay the upgrade and the have to dine somewhere else on formal evenings.

DH and I are compliantly traditional and will always follow the rules! We dress up for dinner and enjoy getting into our finery for formal nights. What other people choose to do is of no interest to us at all.

I do enjoy people watching and love seeing the variety of elegant dresses on show.

i am posting only so i can subscribe to replies - hoping this is true..... sailing in AQ on the newly remodeled Summit this February.... not taking formalwear anyway but would love not to have to make other dining arrangements on formal night..... fingers crossing:-)

After reading the Celebrity website today it looks as if all the restaurants except those on the pool decks and the bistro have gone back to following the traditional dress code, including formal wear on formal nights. There is no mention of specialty restaurants being smart casual any more and in fact it points to the same dress code as the main dning room.:confused:

It's actually still there, just under the heading of Renting Formal wear. Come on you know Celebrity couldn't get their website right the first time ;)

Thats funny because that definition was definitely not there when when I was on that page this morning....

After reading the Celebrity website today it looks as if all the restaurants except those on the pool decks and the bistro have gone back to following the traditional dress code, including formal wear on formal nights. There is no mention of specialty restaurants being smart casual any more and in fact it points to the same dress code as the main dning room.:confused:

It is still there:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do?faqSubjectName=Specialty+Dining&faqId=3377&pagename=faq_answers

I did a Google search of the wording Albert posted and one result came back from a UK cruise forum with this news. In addition it also reported this, which I haven't seen before:

Celebrity Inside Access:

This will provide guests access to various areas of the ship that are deemed 'back of the house', such as the Bridge, the main galley, Engine control room and more. Through this programme guests will gain an insight into what truly goes on behind the scenes. The Celebrity Inside Access programme, which is a component of Celebrity Life, currently consists of two components: See How It's Done Tour - a comprehensive behind the scenes tour of many guest and crew areas, this costs $150 per guest. The Bridge Sail Away Experience allows guests to take part in a hosted event up on the bridge as the ship sails away from port and this costs $75 per guest. This is now available on all ships except Celebrity Xpedition.

Phil

looked through the web site and saw nothing about changes for Blu, but as to other dress code pages:

Looks to me the pages are pretty messed up and unclear right now.

If you look at the main page which discusses evening wear:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_dining&tab=onboard_proper_dining_attire_tab%2Fonboard%2FtextPanel.do%3Fpagename%3Donboard_proper_dining_attire

It seems to me the location of the formal descriptions and the first "renting formalwear" heading are out of place. As is the page is very confusing. Also, if you look under the specialty dining tab and click on "proper dining attire" it just gets you to this same page which doesn't identify whether there are any different rules for the specialty restuarants or not.

But if you go to the "packing" page and click on "evening attire" it does have the same past descriptions of formal and casual that we've seen before although it does not identify which nights are which nor where - but rather to see the daily program once you board.

The FAQ's are unchanged showing the same nights and rules as we've seen over the past year or so such as this FAQ link and this FAQ link and others as well.

I've emailed X to see what the actual policy is - not expecting a quick answer but did want an answer in writing that i could print out and take with me:-) IF they really are insisting on formalwear everywhere, I am seriously rethinking my plans for next Feb....

Archived