Regatta missing Juneau, Sunday September 30, 2018.

JK300

We are now on the Regatta, this morning sailed past Juneau and leaving it behind instead of docking there.

Captain said it was due to heavy winds but the Seabourn Sojourn is docked in Juneau today (according to CruiseMapper).

That is very odd. Hopefully no engine problems.

John

We are now on the Regatta, this morning sailed past Juneau and leaving it behind instead of docking there.

Captain said it was due to heavy winds but the Seabourn Sojourn is docked in Juneau today (according to CruiseMapper).

That is very odd. Hopefully no engine problems.

John

Weather and see conditions can change very quickly.

Too bad you missed the port

FYI

The Sojourn is a LOT smaller at least 8X smaller & does not have the height that the Regatta does cause it to act like a giant sail

The Sojourn is smaller but not that smaller I'm afraid.

460 pax vs 680. 8 times smaller would make that a big yacht. [emoji23]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

The Sojourn is smaller but not that smaller I'm afraid.

460 pax vs 680. 8 times smaller would make that a big yacht. [emoji23]

Sorry you are correct I looked at the wrong data on marine traffic

the Sojourn is slightly larger

Part of an Oceania pattern, skipping ports or shortening time in port.

Missing Juneau was a real bummer. Especially knowing that another ship of the same size could dock there that day.

Almost all the ports we visited in Alaska this time had shorter port time than what we had 2 years ago. Maybe you're right about Oceania shortening time in ports or maybe it had to do with itinerary.

John

After leaving Hubbard Glacier the ship lost all power for almost 2 hours. Nothing worked except emergency lighting. Very odd and a little scary. Lucky the sea was very calm at that moment.

So we arrived in Sitka 2 hours late and the schedule was already tight.

John

After leaving Hubbard Glacier the ship lost all power for almost 2 hours. Nothing worked except emergency lighting. Very odd and a little scary. Lucky the sea was very calm at that moment.

So we arrived in Sitka 2 hours late and the schedule was already tight.

John

Pretty bad! What compensation did Oceania give for missing Juneau? Oceania gave us $250 future cruise credit at the end of our 15 night South Africa cruise after missing 2 ports due to "weather" - many agrees that it's more like bad navigation decisions. They could have skipped one port vs. missing 2. We'd rather NOT get the credit and not miss the ports!

Laurence

Pretty bad! What compensation did Oceania give for missing Juneau? Oceania gave us $250 future cruise credit at the end of our 15 night South Africa cruise after missing 2 ports due to "weather" - many agrees that it's more like bad navigation decisions. They could have skipped one port vs. missing 2. We'd rather NOT get the credit and not miss the ports!

Laurence

We missed two ports which equated to three days on our Asian cruise a few years ago AND boarded a day late. No compensation offered and denied when we wrote to head office. Finally received a future cruise credit after we pointed out that our fellow travelling companions had received compensation and we had not! Our missed ports were due to fog and North Korea rumblings over which Oceania had no control. To give passengers a small future cruise credit is an incentive to book another cruise so benefits both the passenger and Oceania.

Laurence

For so far, no compensation. :(

Missing a small port is not a big problem but missing Juneau with a lot to see there didn't make us happy.

John

Sometimes it goes the other way. On our Alaska cruise, there was heavy fog in the area as we cruised toward Hubbard Glacier. We saw a larger ship turn back but our captain kept going. Just as we got to the glacier, the fog broke and we had magnificent views, with lots of glacier calving. No other ships around. It was one of our most memorable cruise experiences.

Mary

For so far, no compensation. :(

Missing a small port is not a big problem but missing Juneau with a lot to see there didn't make us happy.

John

On our South Africa cruise there were loud complaints about our missed ports. It was a top topic around the ship. Many talked about writing to Oceania after our cruise. I also saw people lining up at the guest relations complaining. For those of us who booked OLife excursion they gave us $100 OBC for a missed tour. We were all pleasantly surprised to receive a letter on our last day of our cruise with the apologies and future cruise credit. If you finish your sailing already you may want to write to Oceania or call and talk to a supervisor to see if they will give you some compensation.

BTW, despite the missed ports our South Africa cruise was one of our most memorable trips. Oceania's pre-cruise program was absolutely fantastic. We stayed in an excellent hotel close to the Waterfront in Cape Town. We were bus around with the same excellent guide for 3 days. Every outing was top notch, better than any other cruise excursion that we've been in.

Laurence

Honestly, I'd take Sitka over Juneau any day.

Our day in Juneau was pretty miserable - nonstop rain and lots of wind.

Missed ports are not all that uncommon, I'm afraid - for all ocean cruise lines. I just roll with the punches and don't expect any compensation.

• 2 weeks later...

We have the OLife excursion extra, with 8 excursions. If Oceania misses these ports, do we get any kind of refunds?  Since the excursions have to be reserved before the cruise, it doesn't sound like we can just use our "free" excursions at another port. 

33 minutes ago, ano said:

We have the OLife excursion extra, with 8 excursions. If Oceania misses these ports, do we get any kind of refunds?  Since the excursions have to be reserved before the cruise, it doesn't sound like we can just use our "free" excursions at another port. 

I believe you can see if there are any tours open  that fall into the "free" category  if not I think you get  a Non refundable OBC of $100

someone will correct me if wrong