Crowd level in Juli (Baltic Cruise)

Hello fellow cruisers,

We are considering a Baltic Cruise departing from Copenhagen in july (we are from Copenhagen).

Previous years we went on Eastern and Western Carribbean cruises, so this is where we have our experience and love for Cruises :)

We have looked at an itinerary departing from Copenhagen, going to Sct. Petersburg, Tallin, Helsinki and Stockholm with Norwegian Cruise Lines getaway for 9 nights. As I dont see these locations as “Child friendly” Compared to many caribbean destinations, our priority is the ship. I am sure that getaway is good for kids, but how is the crowd level in july?

Our previous cruises were also in July, so we are used to crowds, but I prefer not to go on a Cruise in my neighbor region, if it is on a full ship.

All experience is welcome, and if you have tried Both Baltic and mediterrainian cruises departing from Barcelona, please let me know the differences beside the possible climate difference.

Best

Hello fellow cruisers,

We are considering a Baltic Cruise departing from Copenhagen in july (we are from Copenhagen).

Previous years we went on Eastern and Western Carribbean cruises, so this is where we have our experience and love for Cruises :)

We have looked at an itinerary departing from Copenhagen, going to Sct. Petersburg, Tallin, Helsinki and Stockholm with Norwegian Cruise Lines getaway for 9 nights. As I dont see these locations as “Child friendly” Compared to many caribbean destinations, our priority is the ship. I am sure that getaway is good for kids, but how is the crowd level in july?

Our previous cruises were also in July, so we are used to crowds, but I prefer not to go on a Cruise in my neighbor region, if it is on a full ship.

All experience is welcome, and if you have tried Both Baltic and mediterrainian cruises departing from Barcelona, please let me know the differences beside the possible climate difference.

Best

we jst got off sister ship Breakaway doing this same Baltic route a few days ago

we took jackets etc that were not needed as you know Northern Europe is in middle of a heatwave and temperatures including St Petersburg were in range of 30 degree C -may not be the case next year

the ship was full-over 4000 people but didn't notice as many kids as on Mediterranaen routes despite school holiday time in Europemain time I noticed the crowds was disembarkation/immigration St Petersburg as it seemed everyone on the ship wanted to get off ship at same time

plenty to do on ship so can spread out [except pool deck of course when fine sunny weather]

off shore crowds depend how many other ships are in port at same time-we noticed same 5 ships followed us round all cruise

Hello fellow cruisers,

Best

The cruise ship will be a full ship. If your concern is for the number of children on the ship, it will certainly have more children than a September cruise. But I suspect it will have less children than a Caribbean cruise would have.

The cruise ship will be a full ship. If your concern is for the number of children on the ship, it will certainly have more children than a September cruise. But I suspect it will have less children than a Caribbean cruise would have.

Agree. The ship will be full, or so close you will not be able to tell the difference. Cruise ships don't often sail below 98% or so full.

If you are from Copenhagen, you know the local climate. The Med is hottest in July and August, and also very crowded. We have sailed both (Med in August, Baltic in July).

Just got of the Royal Caribbean ship Brilliance of the Seas. We did the 12 days Baltics cruise out of Amsterdam and visited all the ports you describe.

The ports and the tours were very crowded. One could barely move.

Your beautiful city of Copenhagen was the one stop that we didn't take a tour. We were tired and castled out. (meaning we were tired from the crowds and had seen enough castles for 1 lifetime and didn't want to tour another)

We ended up just catching a shuttle into downtown and walking around on our own. Probably one of our best decisions.

Due to the limited number of Baltic and Norwegian Fjords cruising from Copenhagen the cruises tend to sell out quickly. And yes, crowded everywhere in Europe during summer.

Alternatives to Norwegian are Holland America Line or Royal Caribbean.

Very convenient to depart from the ‘home town’ and avoiding the flights and long traveling - I have enjoyed my sailings out of Copenhagen - relaxing and convenient.

Enjoy you cruise, but do not book too late.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just got back from the breakaway, which I take it is the same as the getaway. Not sure if you’re looking for kid friendly or not, but we had kids with us, and I’d say there was not a huge number of kids in July, but I don’t have a big basis for comparison. Definitely to a lot of little kids anyway.

Everything especially SPB and Stockholm was very saturated, we had a private tour in SPB so a few special privileges avoiding crowds, but everything was maxed out for sure. Gamla Stan in Stockholm and the vasa museum were packed to the gills...

If you can go in the fall maybe better!

We also just got off the Breakaway in July with our 10 and 12 yo's. I didn't get the sense that the ship was full, although I have no way to tell what the booked capacity was. The ship did not feel overly crowded. The kids hated the Splash Academy, and since we gave them the option to do so, they refused to go back after one visit. They enjoyed roaming the ship, hitting the buffet and restaurants on their own, and doing various activities. The onboard activities were effectively never open, or for very limited times, and usually while in port and you were away and unable to use them anyway. My 10yo found the water slides open only briefly on Day 2, and we never found them open again for the rest of the cruise.

However, all of the ports were crowded, and Copenhagen seemed the worst by far. But still we managed, and just kept the kids close and an extra eye on them.

We also just got off the Breakaway in July with our 10 and 12 yo's. I didn't get the sense that the ship was full, although I have no way to tell what the booked capacity was. The ship did not feel overly crowded. The kids hated the Splash Academy, and since we gave them the option to do so, they refused to go back after one visit. They enjoyed roaming the ship, hitting the buffet and restaurants on their own, and doing various activities. The onboard activities were effectively never open, or for very limited times, and usually while in port and you were away and unable to use them anyway. My 10yo found the water slides open only briefly on Day 2, and we never found them open again for the rest of the cruise.

However, all of the ports were crowded, and Copenhagen seemed the worst by far. But still we managed, and just kept the kids close and an extra eye on them.

Yes we lost track of the 13 yo in Vasa museum when we had to meet at the bus, and that was a bit scary! It was so crowded there

We have just done a Baltic cruise which departed Southampton on 05/07. We were on the Cunard Queen Victoria which had only about half a dozen children on board.

Everywhere was very hot, around 35c in almost every port and most places were crowded. SPB was extremely crowded. We had previously done a Baltic cruise five years ago when we were very lucky with good weather and far less crowds.

We would consider going again as there are various itineraries, but would avoid July/August.

Due to the limited number of Baltic and Norwegian Fjords cruising from Copenhagen the cruises tend to sell out quickly. And yes, crowded everywhere in Europe during summer.

Alternatives to Norwegian are Holland America Line or Royal Caribbean.

Very convenient to depart from the ‘home town’ and avoiding the flights and long traveling - I have enjoyed my sailings out of Copenhagen - relaxing and convenient.

Enjoy you cruise, but do not book too late.

This is simply not true.

Copenhagen sees around 350 cruise calls per year and many of them start and ends in Copenhagen so if you do not limit yourself to one or 2 cruise lines then you will have plenty of options to choose from.

This is simply not true.

Copenhagen sees around 350 cruise calls per year and many of them start and ends in Copenhagen so if you do not limit yourself to one or 2 cruise lines then you will have plenty of options to choose from.

Right - all cruises for 2019 - Do not want to go into a heavy discussion, but my answer was related to the original question 'Crowd level in Juli (Baltic Cruise)' - the number of Baltic Copenhagen/Copenhagen cruise in July 2019 is around 12 (excluded some of the more expensive lines).

Same number for Norwegian Fjords in July 2019.

Edited by hallasm