Trip Report-Uniworld Castles along the Rhine June 17-24, 2018

IowaCruisers

Brenda and Ken,

So glad you had such a positive experience with Uniworld. Don't worry about not booking your next cruise while on board. You are now a member of their River Heritage Club. Make sure you sign up for their emails and watch for the members only discounts sometimes 30 -50% off, but on selected dates.

RB

Thank you so much for all the day to day programs. Sounds like a lot of things to do.

A few more questions if you don’t mind.

Is the l’orange restaurant always available ?

Is their a difference between the size of balconies per cabin category?

Hi,

No, L'Orangerie was not always available, only for special events - the black forest cake demonstration, the castle day second breakfast, the sharing dinners (2 nights) and the hamburger lunch are the only times I know of when it was actually open and serving.

I do not believe there is a difference in size between the balcony cabins, except for the suites. We had a deluxe balcony cabin, which had the sliding glass door between the cabin and the balcony. Next time, I think we will just do the French balcony without the sliding glass door. It actually got in the way. It may have helped it be more quiet, though. We went through several locks during the nights, and we didn't hear a thing. We had two soft chairs on our balcony, but several others report only having 1 chair, which is odd, because there were 2 people in their rooms.

Roz, if you search for Uniworld under Cruise Reviews, you will see what I'm referencing in the recent reviews there.

OK, I'll go look there. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Roz

How fun to read your review and see your beautiful pictures! We did this same cruise last summer (our first cruise of any kind), and your review brought back many wonderful memories. We are now booked for Uniworld Delightful Danube & Prague next June. We talked to several other passengers who had been on Uniworld Danube cruises and highly recommended them, so that strongly influenced our decision. Hoping that we enjoy it as much as we did Castles Along the Rhine.

Thank you so much for your great information and attaching the dailies! We are doing this same cruise September 2019. We may try and do 2 days on our own in Amsterdam prior to the cruise. I'm starting to look into hotel options. I'd love to hear of anyone's input on that! We are not sure if we have the time to do the post cruise to Lucerne, but that looks awesome too!

Thank you for your in depth review. We are doing this cruise next June.

Do you think one can visit the Marksburg castle and make it back in time to do the bike ride too?

That would make for a perfect day.

We did the opposite direction last year, and the bike ride was in the morning, with Marksburg in the afternoon. On the cruise companion, it looks like going in the opposite direction, you will also be able to do both.

Robin

travelnut4 - We were not able to do a pre-cruise extension in Amsterdam, so I can't be helpful there. But we did a 2 1/2 day post-cruise extension in Lucerne on our own. It was wonderful - highly recommend if you are able to add any time on that end.

Do you think one can visit the Marksburg castle and make it back in time to do the bike ride too?

That would make for a perfect day.

There were a few who did both Marksburg castle and the bike ride, but it was very rushed for them - very little time to grab water and lunch between excursions.

Thank you so much for your great information and attaching the dailies! We are doing this same cruise September 2019. We may try and do 2 days on our own in Amsterdam prior to the cruise. I'm starting to look into hotel options. I'd love to hear of anyone's input on that! We are not sure if we have the time to do the post cruise to Lucerne, but that looks awesome too!

Every one has their own likes, dislikes, expectations. For some costs are no concern, so all I can tell you is what felt right for us.

We really enjoy Amsterdam and find so much to do there. We used some accumulated points and stayed at a Holiday inn express at the Sloterdyke station. Easy to take the train from the airport and it is one station before the Centraal station. Less costly than staying near the Centraal station, and at a hub for trains, trams, metro and busses. We just use the hotel to sleep and have a convenient breakfast before exploring for the rest of the day, so would rather save €€ to spend elsewhere.

Do what makes you happy!

RB