Less than Favorable Reviews

twoboys

It happens every time I book a trip. I research and read articles and tons of reviews and then I book (always pretty far in advance) With river cruises the number of reviews is never very high and I know that I have to be patient to wait for new reviews. And sure enough, the month or weeks before I sail the reviews that are posted are not flattering. We will be on the Uniworld SS Maria Theresa for the Enchanting Danube cruise at the end of July.Tons of great reviews from last year. But the most recent 2...not good. I guess I should "keep calm and pack my carry on" and forget about the reviews. Right?

Probably right. Sometimes the negative reviews are something specific that relates to a person that might not affect you. Once I have booked I usually use negative reviews to beware of particular items that the reviewer is pointing out. Also, sometimes I'll read two reviews from the same cruise and wonder how the reviewers could have been on the same ship at the same time. Good luck.

I find that when reading reviews (for anything... cruises, hotels, restaurants etc.) I have to "filter" the review by trying to determine if the issue was truly a problem with the place/business being reviewed, or if the person appears to have had unreasonable expectations. For example, is the person complaining about factual things that are described on the website? i.e. someone complaining about a cruise ship cabin being too cramped, when the square footage of the cabin categories i listed on the website and they should have known what they were booking. I also try to read between the lines to guess at the person's level of experience with whatever they're booking, i.e. is it their first cruise, or have they been on multiple cruises on multiple lines and thus should have a good idea of what is "normal?"

I have to agree that - at this point, if you can't fix it, ignore it and get on with your vacation :-)

While I can occasionally be critical in reviews, we ALWAYS have a good time on our trips. And that includes trips when we get sick or other bad things happen. Better stories for the future, right?

Agreed! Reviews are subjective. I too tend to discount first time reviewers or inexperienced travelers; reviews that complain about things they could have researched more thoroughly ahead of time and ones that complain about desserts (not my focus). Seems that even in the negative reviews there are glimmers of positivity. So I will focus on that and look forward to a wonderful adventure. My husband and always have a great time together. Some vacations are better than others (Windstar cruise in Sicily was FANTASTIC!)

Having sailed six rivers with Uniworld, I was curious about the recent reviews of the Maria Theresa cruises. They don't quite sound like what we are used to with Uniworld, especially the just ok food and hit or miss with the guides. We have never done pre- or post-cruise with Uniworld, but again, the cancellation of the tour of the castle, especially when 15 pax wanted to go, doesn't sound like the Uniworld we know. We are booked on the Maria Theresa for the Christmas to New Years cruise, and I'm with you, two boys, we're looking forward to a wonderful adventure.

I find that when reading reviews (for anything... cruises, hotels, restaurants etc.) I have to "filter" the review by trying to determine if the issue was truly a problem with the place/business being reviewed, or if the person appears to have had unreasonable expectations. For example, is the person complaining about factual things that are described on the website? i.e. someone complaining about a cruise ship cabin being too cramped, when the square footage of the cabin categories i listed on the website and they should have known what they were booking. I also try to read between the lines to guess at the person's level of experience with whatever they're booking, i.e. is it their first cruise, or have they been on multiple cruises on multiple lines and thus should have a good idea of what is "normal?"

Same here

Here's my take take on reading reviews - If you pick a reputable, and well known cruise line, the chances are pretty good that you will have a good experience. Now, that's not to say that sometimes unfortunate things happen to specific cruises, and the overall experience is tarnished, but there are also a certain group of people who will NEVER be satisfied, and fancy themselves aficionados of the first order. So sift through reviews carefully and try and weed out the chronic complainers, and the off chance disasters, and then pay attention to what the remainder of the reviews say.

We are "make lemonade" type of people. Plan for the best - prepare for the worst... and, if you get handed lemons, make lemonade.

If I believed the horrible reviews that Scenic got a few years back, I would never have booked with them. But, got a great sale - and figured if the cruise was somehow substandard, at least I wouldn't have paid top dollar. By far, one of the best experiences we have had (cruise # 14 coming up this fall). So glad I ignored the reviews.

I have travelled 3 times with Uniworld… they have an attention to detail that is amazing. We would happily travel with them again if the stars aligned, but their price point jumped when they went all inclusive, so haven't been with them for about 5 years.

Don't worry about the reviews. Just go, and decide to enjoy the experience...

Fran

We are "make lemonade" type of people. Plan for the best - prepare for the worst... and, if you get handed lemons, make lemonade.

If I believed the horrible reviews that Scenic got a few years back, I would never have booked with them. But, got a great sale - and figured if the cruise was somehow substandard, at least I wouldn't have paid top dollar. By far, one of the best experiences we have had (cruise # 14 coming up this fall). So glad I ignored the reviews.

I have travelled 3 times with Uniworld… they have an attention to detail that is amazing. We would happily travel with them again if the stars aligned, but their price point jumped when they went all inclusive, so haven't been with them for about 5 years.

Don't worry about the reviews. Just go, and decide to enjoy the experience...

Fran

Sadly it seems that Scenic has shot themselves in the foot again:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2404957

Ship construction delayed, Scenic's response to booked passengers less than ideal ;)

I totally agree!