Solo Travel To Scandinavia - First Time Cruise Booking

msjazcat

Hello,

I'm new to this so apologies if I have posted in the wrong thread!

I've wanted to go and see the Northern Lights for years and would love to visit the Scandinavian towns also. A friend recommended trying a cruise out and as I haven't been on one before I thought, why not?

Problem being, I'm a solo traveller and no matter which site I look on it is always for '2 adults' which come at a ridiculous price! I've tried a few articles online and not getting much look until I came across this site.

I've researched that the aurora borealis peak between Oct-Mar so if I am going all that way, I would definitely like to experience it! I would preferably like to go end of this year if possible.

Is anyone able to make recommendations which cruise is best to go with, tips on booking, supplementary costs, own experiences, etc?

Muchly appreciated! :)

MsJazCat

Hi MsJazCat, others know a lot more about this than I do, so I may be totally off-base with this response. But I am also a relative newcomer, and a solo traveler.

There may be a timing issue here: as your aurora borealis chances increase (due to snow fall, colder weather, and more night-time), your cruise options decrease (due to the same reasons!). Most of the Northern Europe/Baltic/Arctic cruises take advantage of the long days and warmer weather (relatively speaking). Most of the less expensive ships are not outfitted for ice.

As a solo traveler, I have been seeking out the itineraries I like, but also the all-inclusive ships with small solo supplements (25% instead of 100%) and other good deals. At first, the sticker shock was a bit much, but then when I factored in free airfare, free excursions and/or free transit into town, everything pre-paid on board including gratuities, and the 25% solo supplement, it cost roughly the same as the pay-as-you-go experience on a larger ship where you pay double for your room. I just returned from a cruise as a solo last week, and although I paid upfront for the experience, my final bill at disembarkation was $60 -- because I chose to dine one night at the up-charge restaurant. Otherwise it would have been $zero.

As an example of what you could do, look at this one: https://www.silversea.com/destinations/northern-europe-british-isles-cruise/london-to-reykjavik-2829.html

After gasping at the price, notice that it is the latest possible sailing in September, just before your ideal window opens. And notice that economy air to London and from Reykjavik is included, with only the 25% solo supplement. And it is 11 days of paying for absolutely nothing on board. Your chances of seeing the northern lights might be pretty good on this itinerary, I think.

Then there are the ice-ready expedition ships, but prices go way up on those.

I hope this is helpful, and I also hope I haven't led you astray. Enjoy your planning!

Edited by Unibok
clarity

Hurtigruten is the company much used, as they have ferries using routes all year.

P&O have Northern lights cruises from November through to March; prices are much cheaper in Nov and March.

Fred Olsen also have 2 cruises in Feb and March, about the same price as P&O

Hurtigruten is the company much used, as they have ferries using routes all year.

P&O have Northern lights cruises from November through to March; prices are much cheaper in Nov and March.

Fred Olsen also have 2 cruises in Feb and March, about the same price as P&O

Hurtigruten sprang to my mind as well. They run ferries along the Norwegian coast year round. They also have expedition ship's that go to Antarctica, so are very used to operating in adverse weather. It's a different sort of trip, but you might find it works out money wise. And it for sure will be running during the peak Northern Lights season.

Hurtigruten sprang to my mind as well. They run ferries along the Norwegian coast year round. They also have expedition ship's that go to Antarctica' date=' so are very used to operating in adverse weather. It's a different sort of trip, but you might find it works out money wise. And it for sure will be running during the peak Northern Lights season.[/quote']

I started looking at these after jocap suggested it -- so cool! Now I want to go! It looks like a terrific experience.

So here is a tale of woe. We met some cruisers that really wanted to experience the Northern Lights. So they booked 2 full weeks on the Hurtigruten (a Norwegian Line that carries the mail and supplies year round) figuring that would be the best solution. They told us that it was overcast for the entire two weeks :(. They enjoyed the cruise (and the interesting smaller ports) but they never saw the Northern Lights.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...