Grand Cayman and Ochos Rios

bchele

Hello, we are looking into Carnival conquest and these are the ports of call. What are the pros and cons. Is it safe to save money and not do an excursion at these ports? We would like to go somewhere besides the Bahamas and Cozumel, which is what we have done on every other cruise we have been on. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Just got off the Paradise last week and one thing about Grand Cayman is the winds. I had a sting ray swim paid for and the Stingray area was closed due to high winds. The port there is also tendered and with winds it can be rough getting onto the tender.

Grand Cayman is, in my opinion, the most civilized port of call in the Caribbean. Go to Stingray City, but book it privately and not through the ship. It will be a much more enjoyable experience. It’s easy to find vendors online who do tours to Stingray City. I like Ocho Rios too. Phil Lafayette took us to climb the Dunn’s River Falls. It was a fun, collective effort as you climb the Falls in long human chains. You get a nice sense of accomplishment as you climb the Falls. There are guides to show you wear to step as you climb. There are other things to do and see in both Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios.

You must experience Grand Cayman. You do not need to budget much money. We took a cab to the middle of the seven mile beach and walked slowly back. We could see the ship the whole time, getting slowly larger.

The beach has plenty of interesting sights, and beach bars, etc.

We always stop by a glass blowing shop just as you get into town. We always buy a souvenir there. I wonder if they are still around?

"Just got off the Paradise last week and one thing about Grand Cayman is the winds"

just because it was windy one day, doesn't mean it's always windy. We had a great time in GC. We went Scuba diving and the seas were like a lake. Cozumel has tons of beaches and you do not have to buy an all inclusive.

Grand Cayman has lots of rich folks who live there and hide their money there!!

It is quite safe!! I did snorkeling and sting ray experience with a local company Captain Dave.

My sister and her husband did a bus tour since they are not into swimming or snorkeling.

In Jamaica there are lots of fun tours from pretty gardens to hiking water falls.

I would definitely get off in both ports!!!

Grand Cayman is safe. Stingray City is probably the best excursion there, and the liquor prices are some of the best you will find (the most reputable places send your purchases out to the ship for you).

Jamaica is safe if you stay in the touristy areas. Your best bet is to book an excursion either through the ship or through a reputable online vendor. Go to one of the nice resorts if you can get a day pass.

"Just got off the Paradise last week and one thing about Grand Cayman is the winds"

just because it was windy one day, doesn't mean it's always windy. We had a great time in GC. We went Scuba diving and the seas were like a lake. Cozumel has tons of beaches and you do not have to buy an all inclusive.

Glad you have a good time here, but I wanted the OP to know if might be bad winds there and as I had a tour with Moby Dick tours that was canceled due to high winds it might happen again. Got a refund with no problem, but it could happen again.

Grand Cayman is probably the best port in the Western Caribbean. It’s a more “upscale” destination which will be appreciated by those who enjoy high end retailers. The island is beautiful and safe, and the water is one of the clearest I’ve ever seen anywhere. Last time we were there, we did the Shipwreck and Reef snorkeling excursion and it was, without a doubt, the highlight of our cruise. The water was so clear, we felt that we could touch the Shipwreck even though it was well outside our reach. I’ve also visited Grand Cayman by airplane several times and it’s without a doubt, one of the places where I’ve felt the safest anywhere in the Caribbean.

As others have mentioned, it’s a tender port and if conditions aren’t quite right, it may be canceled or altered. For us, one time our stop was canceled, the next time we were able to tender although we had to do so from Spots Bay (which is an alternate dock far from Georgetown) and all water excursions were canceled. Last November, we were finally able to anchor right off Georgetown! Even then, weather turned nasty for a few hours and many morning excursions were canceled. Thankfully our excursion wasn’t until 2pm and by then, the skies had cleared and we enjoyed a fantastic afternoon.

But anybody taking a cruise to Grand Cayman should be aware that there’s a higher chance that this stop may be canceled due to winds to avoid any frustrating surprises. Even when we took our Shipwreck excursion last November, the boat captain explained to us that Georgetown is not a sheltered bay due to the island’s geography (it’s a rather flat island and winds can be strong because they don’t have any natural barriers that can block or divert them).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

Just got off the Paradise last week and one thing about Grand Cayman is the winds. I had a sting ray swim paid for and the Stingray area was closed due to high winds. The port there is also tendered and with winds it can be rough getting onto the tender.

Just got off the same ship last week! Our stingray snorkel excursion got canceled as well. We asked one of the police officers if the people on the street with the island tours was safe and he pointed to a certain tour company and said they were good. It was $20 per person and we got a nice tour of the island and had time to stop in a restaurant before getting back onboard. All in all it was a really fun day! Felt very safe

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like Grand Cayman.

Very nice beaches.

Snorkeling with the Stingrays is very popular.

I do not care fo Ocho Rios.

I think Dunes Rivers Falls is fine.

Other than that we have absolutely no interest in a visit there and if the ship stops there we make it a sea day. I find the locals way too pushy.

Keith