Porto Disembarkation Process

GadaboutGranny

My husband and I are planning our first Oceania cruise in September, 2018, from Amsterdam to Lisbon. We are experienced cruisers but have been generally on the larger ships on NCL and Celebrity. We would like to take an excursion in Porto that is a wine and food tasting beginning at 10:00 am. This is not a ship excursion. The ship docks at 9:00 am in Leixoes which is about 30 minutes away from Porto. I am wondering if we would be able to disembark early enough to take a taxi to Porto in time to meet the excursion at 10:00. It is my understanding that the passengers on ship excursions disembark first. This would not be possible on the larger ships as disembarkation is generally a nightmare and it is impossible to try and get off early. Please share your experience with trying to disembark early to catch an excursion and share any helpful hints you have that might help to ensure an early disembarkation. Thanks.

usually you can disembark about 30 min after docking & the ship is cleared... then you can walk off

if a tender port then you may take longer to get off the ship they usually try to get a few independents off inbetween the tour groups

remember there are lot less pax on Oceania ships than most main stream ones

No, I don't think Porto is a tender port. When the itinerary lists 9:00 am as arrival time does that mean there is a delay while the ship is cleared before any passengers can disembark? I think we could make it if we got off by 9:30 or so and we were able to get a cab at the dock.

Oporto you are docked

No one will know for sure if there is a delay it is in the hands of the Official at the port

That said the ship will usually dock before the scheduled time on the itinerary then to put the gangway in place etc... you probably can walk off by 9:30 am

Ask the tour people if they are flexible in leaving times ..will they wait 10-15 min incase you are delayed ??

When we docked at Porto on the Marina, we were able to walk off the ship within minutes of docking. Since it is not a tender port, there is no preference for ship’s tours. In fact, those on tours are usually waiting in the lounge for their tour tickets when those of us on our own walked off the ship. If the ship docks on time and you take a taxi, you would easily make the 10am tour meeting time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Would you mind posting details of your tour? We’ll be in Porto next year.

The operators of the tour are Bluedragon Porto City tours. It is a 4 hour Food and Wine Tasting tour led by a local guide. It includes a walking tour of Porto's old town with stops at the Bolhao Market and local shops and cafes to sample traditional Portuguese foods and wines. Being somewhat of a foodie I like the opportunity to try the specialties of whatever region I am in as a way to connect with the local culture. This tour gets good reviews although I do not know anyone personally who has taken it.

I have contacted the tour operator to find out if there is a grace period should we be a few minutes late. It does sound from the responses I've gotten that this tour will be doable.

The operators of the tour are Bluedragon Porto City tours. It is a 4 hour Food and Wine Tasting tour led by a local guide. It includes a walking tour of Porto's old town with stops at the Bolhao Market and local shops and cafes to sample traditional Portuguese foods and wines. Being somewhat of a foodie I like the opportunity to try the specialties of whatever region I am in as a way to connect with the local culture. This tour gets good reviews although I do not know anyone personally who has taken it.

I have contacted the tour operator to find out if there is a grace period should we be a few minutes late. It does sound from the responses I've gotten that this tour will be doable.

Thank you so much.