Shore Excursions

BCahill315

Good morning! I am a first time cruiser! I booked a cruise to Freeport, Nassau, Princess Cays along with my husband and two children (24 and 25) for Christmas week. At our ages no one is waiting for Santa to come down the chimney so we decided to break from tradition and go cruising! I have read all the shore excursion offerings and most do not seem very appealing to us, mostly due to the traveling times versus the actual activity time or level of activity (health issues). We would like to see the islands but are more comfortable with doing so at our own pace without the use of crowded buses or having to stay with a group. Does any one have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and I wish you and your family a wonderful cruise.

Princess Cays is used as a private island. You will be able to enjoy a fun and leisurely day with your fellow passengers. You can swim, sit on the beach, enjoy food and walking around. So you don't have to plan anything.

The following link will provide you with some information about Freeport from the Cruise Critic Site:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=109

Keith

Thanks to Keith's link I am well on my way to planning my visit. Technoge3k, I love Google! Him and I go way back! In fact, we are partnered once again researching the Bahamas! I do love the library but the travel time always seems to get in the way. Long distance relationships are so difficult. Thank you all for the replies.

Instead of renting a car in Nassau get a cabbie to take you around the island. Then you don't have to watch traffic and where you're going, you can see the sites.

When we did this we stopped at Cable beach where the cabbie ran into his pastor, we stopped at some caves which although not deep, we explored them and sat the chair made of shells. We drove around a big lake in the middle of Nassau. It is so big, a Dr. keeps his sea plane tied up AT his dock! Tourists don't even know this lake exists! If you want to see Nassau, this is the way to do it. And, negotiate the cab fare before you get in the cab- don't take cabbie's first cost, say no and lower what he said.

In Freeport there are only shops because ships stop there. There is nothing else- no beaches or anything else. You have to take a cab/bus into the town. There are hotels and free beaches on the right and shops and water tours on your left. Haven't been in a while but it was $5 each way into town.

In Half Moon Cay there is an information booth where you can get a map of this stop. Carnival built this port and there are vendors there for souvenirs, etc., as well as known shops. There is a brick path along the beach which passes misting stations, a small waterfront chapel, a pirate ship for kids to play on and eventually the buffet.

Contrary to what one poster above commented about nothing to do in Freeport, there is a lot to see and do. You just have to think "outside the port". Many people choose not to venture anywhere other than the port area, so their perception is that there is nothing to see nor do.

I have commented on this in the Bahamas forum, but here goes ...

Rent a car and tour around the island at your leisure. There is a car rental agency near the port as well as at the airport. Grand Bahama Island has amazing beaches and large national park system. We enjoy Lucayan National Park for its underwater cave system (one of the largest in the world) and especially Gold Rock Beach. The beach is void of tourists and very pristine.

http://www.grandbahamavacations.com/national-parks/

http://www.grandbahamavacations.com/about-the-island/highlights-and-landmarks/

Thank you for that information brunello22. I did do my research and have a list of places to visit. My rental car is paid for and waiting for us! Lucayan National Park and Lucayan Market Place are at the top of the list.

If time allows, head over to West End, however most cruise ships leave early, so you may miss the spectacular sunset there.