NCL in Honduras?

RebelAthena

I just read on Facebook that NCL is suspending stops to Honduras (presumably after the new DOS travel advisory).

I cannot find this online or on this board; anyone know anything about this?

There was an incident in 2014 but nothing recent. Roatan is not on the mainland of Honduras. It has a much lower crime rate. Don’t believe everything you read on Facebook.

I worked in Camden NJ, the most dangerous city in the US. If I could survive that, I’m not worried about Roatan.

Can anyone else elaborate on recent suspensions?

I just read on Facebook that NCL is suspending stops to Honduras (presumably after the new DOS travel advisory).

I would be totally shocked if this story was true: sounds like fake news to me. Roatan is a bit different than other parts of Honduras and a very popular port. It is pretty, very friendly people, lots to see, wonderful snorkleling and as clean as most ports.

Russian bots - it is all fake news.

Where did you see the removal of Roatan from the itinerary? We are on the March 25-April 1 sailing of the Pearl. I will be very diappointed if we do not call on Roatan!

The information was posted on our Roll Call. Several people in the group had received communication from NCL regarding the itinerary change. I booked through a TA so have not been notified yet. However, another person called NCL and received confirmation.

Thank you. Sorry for the change to your itinerary. I will continue to hope that "no news is good news" for our sailing, although there are a lot of ships scheduled in port that day so we will see what happens.....

Good luck. I hope your itinerary isn’t impacted. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

the only precaution I think i would take is to make sure if you get off the ship you choose to either book a tour with NCL or a good, reliable tour company. I don't think I would want to wander around on my own. I know others will disagree but I am just giving you my opinion.

Where did you see the removal of Roatan from the itinerary? We are on the March 25-April 1 sailing of the Pearl. I will be very diappointed if we do not call on Roatan!

As of this morning, Roatan is still on our itinerary, and I downloaded my cruise docs too! 9 more weeks.....:cool:

Someone posted on Facebook that it was because of berthing issues and only for a few sailings.

This sounds more like what the problem is - instead of overblown faux misdirected information.

Both NCL and RCCL share berthing at Coxen Hole 1 pier space - rest tender

NCL has had two ships at Coxen Hole at one time from what I have read.

So due to scheduling this could happen but not all too frequently.

Coxen Hole with two ships of any size is taxed pretty much to its limits for accommodations.

The Carnival HAL and Princess cruise lines berth at Mahogany Bay 2 pier spaces

The guy who shot and killed the Pearl crew member in 2014 just to steal his I-phone wasn't too friendly. Travel in groups and leave EVERYTHING flashy on the ship. Jewelry, cell phones etc.

We had just been to Roatan the week before this happened.

The best I remember the ship tells you NOT to go outside the gated section on your own. I believe the ship excursions has all their buses on the inside of the gate. I realize there will always be the people that know more than what the cruise line knows and wonder off pass the gate and to them it is safe cause they made it back alive.

We went to maya key when I Roatan and it was awesome.

It's a developing nation with drug cartels, you have to be smart. I did a medical mission trip in La Ceiba 2 yrs ago which is not a great area. As long as you stay within the compound even the cartels don't want to mess with you normally. Roatan is MUCH better than mainland but be smart, don't go flashing stuff around, and agree for the most part this is a stay within the tourist areas kind of place. Going off the beaten path is definitely at your own risk.