HAL replacing ParkWest

sppunk

You would be surprised with how much some spend at those art auctions. I will go for a short while when there is nothing else going on around the ship or when trying to escape the family :)! I cannot remember which cruise it was within the past couple of years, but there were some really big spenders. One couple spent over ten thousand on Peter Max work, and another couple spent over five thousand on their purchases. There were some really happy Park West employees that day.
I suspect that a lot of the activity takes place privately, separate from the auction where they can negotiate prices. Or maybe I've just been going to the wrong auctions since I haven't seen a lot of buying when I've been there.

• 2 weeks later...
You would be surprised with how much some spend at those art auctions. I will go for a short while when there is nothing else going on around the ship or when trying to escape the family :)! I cannot remember which cruise it was within the past couple of years, but there were some really big spenders. One couple spent over ten thousand on Peter Max work, and another couple spent over five thousand on their purchases. There were some really happy Park West employees that day.

Maybe they were comped "shills" rather than regular cruise passenger buyers. (see comment above). The loss of the Thomas Kincade schlock shall be missed more than Peter Max or the dogs playing poker. Kincade was always so cloyingly chirpy.

Maybe I'll go up to one of the PW employees and ask when they're getting kicked off of the ship. [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Why? would you do that?

The employees are doing the job that feeds their Family no one makes any of us attend. I simply don't go but see no reason to confront the workers in that way.

Why? would you do that?

The employees are doing the job that feeds their Family no one makes any of us attend. I simply don't go but see no reason to confront the workers in that way.

Wow! Lighten up! No need to take other posts to the extreme as though others are advocating taking food out of families mouths! I’m sure that’s not what the previous poster was advocating. [emoji485]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

J M O... :) To suggest they should be thrown off because of the work they do rubs me wrong and I said so.

I read that comment differently than you. My take was that the poster might ask a ParkWest employee when the company would no longer be there. Not that they should be thown off the ship.

I read that comment differently than you. My take was that the poster might ask a ParkWest employee when the company would no longer be there. Not that they should be thown off the ship.

okay. : shrug: ;)

It has no impact on us. We would not buy art on the ship. From Park West or anyone else. In fact we buy almost nothing from the ship's retail and beauty outlets. Any cruise line. They all seem similar when it comes to this.

Ok. I’ll admit I enjoy the art auctions. I think they’re fun and entertaining and I enjoy viewing the artwork. As others half said there’s free champagne there’s even raffles and giveaways.

And gasp, horrors of all horrors I’ve actually purchased a few. Not because I thought they were great investments or because myself or my grandkids were going to get wealthy off of them but because I actually liked the artwork.

I am never going to be in the position to own original works of art from famous painters or artists but to have a high quality print that I can enjoy is great for me. When I look at the artwork I purchased it brings back great memories of my cruises.

I don’t mind either way if the Parkwest Gallery is there. My interaction with their staff has always been pleasant. I hope HAL’s new venue is just as enjoyable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ok. I’ll admit I enjoy the art auctions. I think they’re fun and entertaining and I enjoy viewing the artwork. As others half said there’s free champagne there’s even raffles and giveaways.

And gasp, horrors of all horrors I’ve actually purchased a few. Not because I thought they were great investments or because myself or my grandkids were going to get wealthy off of them but because I actually liked the artwork.

I am never going to be in the position to own original works of art from famous painters or artists but to have a high quality print that I can enjoy is great for me. When I look at the artwork I purchased it brings back great memories of my cruises.

I don’t mind either way if the Parkwest Gallery is there. My interaction with their staff has always been pleasant. I hope HAL’s new venue is just as enjoyable.

I agree that the staff are extremely polite and make you feel good, even if you don't buy anything.

What I will miss most is the surly sour faces and bad attitudes of the staff at the "gallery".

I agree completely !

I agree that the staff are extremely polite and make you feel good, even if you don't buy anything.

You are 100% correct !

:D:D

This is a very nice response to all of my negative feelings about the art auctions. I can tell you enjoy them. And I hope you continue to have a great time.

It’s good that you enjoy them! There’s nothing wrong with that. If HAL is truly getting rid of Park West, I hope you enjoy the new company just as much! That’s what cruising is all about.....doing what you enjoy! 🥂🥂

There will be a lot less junk mail, for us all to throw out.

Sandra

MOST of the junk mail we got on our recent sailing was fro Effy jewelry and the spa and the other shops. Sure, some from the art auction but not most of it.

I completely agree with you. I also enjoy the art auctions and have bought a piece that I absolutely love. I hope you enjoy the new art program on your next cruise.