HAL replacing ParkWest

sppunk

Great ! I always wondered how much HAL and the other lines made hosting

this dreck and if it was worth the harm to their reputations .giclee's ?

Yes, "Giclee" which represents many (not all) of the works sold by Park West. Sometimes the auctioneer will actually use the term and other times they might simply say its a "limited" edition print. But print is the key word because a Giclee is simply a work of art created on a high-end Ink Jet Printer! That's right, just a better version of the printer that many have sitting by their home computer. Park West can scan in an original work by one of their favored artists (such as Leroy Neiman) and spit out an unlimited number of "limited edition" prints. The quality of Giclee's can be very good, but they are simply machine made duplicates. There is nothing wrong with buying Giclee's....as long as the buyer is aware of what they are purchasing. The real value of an 11x13 glycee print might be in the $50 range.

If you want to know more about this technology you can find lots of info on the Internet.

Hank

"

So glad this is FINALLY going to be a thing of the past! It was always hard to believe that people actually bought these things.

I was always shocked to hear that there were people who bought LOTS of stuff from them. On a cruise we were on last summer, there was a couple who had been flown to Amsterdam by Park West, put up in a hotel for a couple of nights and given a free cruise. They had a private audience with the artist Agam while at the hotel and I think they had to attend the art auctions on board. I don't think they were under any obligation to buy (although given their history, PW probably knew that they would). I also think that they got a reduced price on stuff that they bought.

"HAL said ArtLink will offer a number of 'interactive art events'..."

Is 'interactive art event' an imaginative name for an art auction? Stay tuned.

I have not been bothered by Park West auctions. I figure that the cut that Holland America gets from the money they rake in keeps my cruise fare low. I hope the new guys make as much money without irritating me. My wife reminded me that my then teenage son sold a print he'd won from Park West for $40 online.

What an excellent idea. I would be much more motivated to buy an actual piece of art as a reminder of my voyage than a mass-reproduced piece of "art" that had nothing to do with my experience whatsoever. Smart decision on HAL's part.

Park West is often the best comedy on HAL ships. Always amusing to watch folks bidding up giclee's. Perhaps they will work with a firm that brings some real art aboard.

Hank

You mean you don’t love the “All Dogs Go to Heaven” picture? Hahaha!

I “won” an art piece at the one and only art auction I ever attended on the Ryndaam. It was “valued” at $500. When I went to claim the print, I was informed that it did not come with the frame and they wanted a ridiculous amount of money to ship it to me with insurance. And I couldn’t take it with me because it was just the “demo” print and they would send me a pristine, limited edition print. It was such a scam. Now I swing by, grab a glass of free champagne, and leave!

Strange that nobody here has asked how HAL will possibly make up all that lost revenue from the old Art Auctions.

With their new provider, obviously. Personally, I can't imagine that the cruise lines are making that much from art auctions these days given how few people seem to be buying. But I guess there must be enough to make it worthwhile for PW and the cruise lines.

Strange that nobody here has asked how HAL will possibly make up all that lost revenue from the old Art Auctions.

I posted this upthread: "I hope the new guys make as much money without irritating me..." I assume HAL is changing suppliers because they think they can make more money.

With their new provider, obviously. Personally, I can't imagine that the cruise lines are making that much from art auctions these days given how few people seem to be buying. But I guess there must be enough to make it worthwhile for PW and the cruise lines.
Maybe is was and no longer is hence their departure . I spoke to a Park West employee who told me that they were assigned regular cabins . I don't know if they were all in regular cabins or some were bunked in crew quarters . Either way replacing PW staff with paying customers is a good trade off .

There goes HAL ruining another tradition!
As long as they keep selling gold by the foot . :D

So is the new provider on the ships already? I'll be on Kdam in a week and would be curious to check them out.

Update: I guess not, per this info in the article:

The partnership will begin this summer and be on all ships except the Prinsendam by the end of 2018.

I never understood the Park West presence on cruise ships. Who would be shopping for random art for their home on a cruise.? I get buying local art at ports of call, but you can get Peter Max and general art at any gallery. And, JMO, most of the stuff is baaaad.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You would be surprised with how much some spend at those art auctions. I will go for a short while when there is nothing else going on around the ship or when trying to escape the family :)! I cannot remember which cruise it was within the past couple of years, but there were some really big spenders. One couple spent over ten thousand on Peter Max work, and another couple spent over five thousand on their purchases. There were some really happy Park West employees that day.