Emotional Support Animals No Longer Allowed on Royal Caribbean Cruise Ships

I agree totally. I would love to be able to take our toy poodle on the cruises with us. We pay hundreds of dollars to have her go on "vacation" (boarding). In this day and age. There are dog boarding facilities that treat the dogs like royalty. They get their play time (most of the day) with other dogs that have similar dispositions.

Where is this? The Howl-a-Dog Inn? ;)

Can you tell if a dog is a service dog vs comfort dog by breed? I kind of assume service dogs are mostly German Shepard’s or goldie’s or labs or some other mid sized breeds and comfort dogs are mostly toy breeds or poodles. Is that a fair assumption?

We have an emotional support dog. BUT not for either of us. The wife volunteers for Pets on Wheels. They visit different place to offer calming support for others. It is amazing what effect it has in people just to sit and pet your animal while talking about different strenuous situations. They have visited colleges, elementary schools, counseling centers and the local newspapers offices alo g other places.

We have an emotional support dog. BUT not for either of us. The wife volunteers for Pets on Wheels. They visit different place to offer calming support for others. It is amazing what effect it has in people just to sit and pet your animal while talking about different strenuous situations. They have visited colleges, elementary schools, counseling centers and the local newspapers offices alo g other places.
Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville has comfort dogs visiting patients on request. They also hang around the lobbies for visitors

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

An article on this in this morning's Daytona Beach News-Journal is worth reading.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180819/service-dogs-dilemma-loads-of-fakes-detrimental-to-legitimate-helper-animals

Thanks for posting this Trainman2. Both the video and article are well presented.

I have copied a couple points below taken directly from the story. It certainly seems like people with legetimate service animals are wanting better regulations, to weed out the fake ones.

The Americans with Disabilities Act lists two questions that service dog handlers may be asked: Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? And what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

Misrepresenting a dog as a service animal is also a crime. But those guidelines aren’t enough to weed out the fakes, said Severt. “Everyone is so afraid of litigation.”

She likes the idea of a government-regulated registry, and a notation on driver licenses and identification cards that could be provided as proof of disability.

Thanks for posting this Trainman2. Both the video and article are well presented.

I have copied a couple points below taken directly from the story. It certainly seems like people with legetimate service animals are wanting better regulations, to weed out the fake ones.

The Americans with Disabilities Act lists two questions that service dog handlers may be asked: Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? And what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

Misrepresenting a dog as a service animal is also a crime. But those guidelines aren’t enough to weed out the fakes, said Severt. “Everyone is so afraid of litigation.”

She likes the idea of a government-regulated registry, and a notation on driver licenses and identification cards that could be provided as proof of disability.

A crime then lock-’em up!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NO!

My Wife's Service dog is a mix of three breeds.

Cool! Which 3 breeds?

It would be nice to see some small toy breeds in action as service dogs. I wouldn’t be surprised a lot of people have the same casual impression as me that toy breeds are mostly ESAs. It still may be true though.

It would be nice to see some small toy breeds in action as service dogs. I wouldn’t be surprised a lot of people have the same casual impression as me that toy breeds are mostly ESAs. It still may be true though.

I know many of the alert dogs are smaller breeds. I know of 2 miniature poodles who alert their owners of impending low blood sugars.

I saw a small dog today(I don’t know dog breeds very well) on the oasis. A man was carrying it around in a bag. It had a vest on but I couldn’t read it. On Oasis.
Carrying it around is a clue that it is a fake. I bet the vest was one that you can buy on the Internet for $50.

Can you tell if a dog is a service dog vs comfort dog by breed? I kind of assume service dogs are mostly German Shepard’s or goldie’s or labs or some other mid sized breeds and comfort dogs are mostly toy breeds or poodles. Is that a fair assumption?

One of the most beautiful standard sized black poodles I have ever seen was on the Coral Princess. Her owner was cruising with a group of about 30 blind people. The dogs were definitely working service dogs. So quiet and well behaved, you pretty much forgot they were there.

Carrying it around is a clue that it is a fake. I bet the vest was one that you can buy on the Internet for $50.

Not really, small dogs like poodles are one of the best Diabetic alert dogs. Not cheap either as total cost is about $35K. Carrying it is exceptable,... Now a dog in a dress, riding in stroller and eating off owners plate, questionable. Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% against fakes...

Not really, small dogs like poodles are one of the best Diabetic alert dogs. Not cheap either as total cost is about $35K. Carrying it is exceptable,... Now a dog in a dress, riding in stroller and eating off owners plate, questionable. Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% against fakes...
Thanks for the enlightenment. We don't want to screen out animals that are actually trained to do a service.

I don't want to see the fake dogs spoil things for people who really need trained service dogs.