What Changes would you make to R ship in a major drydock refit

PaulMCO

The lounge could be redone to improve sight lines- from seats at the back of the lower level or seats in the back corners of the upper level it is very hard to see anything being done on the dance floor.

If cabin entrance doors were 2 or 3 inches wider wheelchairs could get in. Adding a grab bar or 2 extra would help a lot of people

The tub in the current accessible cabins is useless. Way to difficult to get in, even for non disabled it would be unsafe in rough seas. A walk in shower would be an improvement.

The area where pizzas are made at lunch should be used at breakfast for fresh made pancakes and/or waffles.

If truly going down to the studs, then make elevators a bit bigger.

I haven’t had a lot of days on R ships and am trying to remember the set-up on the gym’s non machine area. On most ships that area is seldom used, except for a few classes. Just storing the little used spin bikes takes up some valuable space. O might be able to make a deal with peloton for some free interactive class bikes in the fitness area (assuming the new streaming WiFi works ) to free up the classroom space for another use (Baristas?)

My wishlist:

#5....put Baristas on deck 4 where the lonely concierge desk is currently. Make it similar to Princess' International Cafe with the Barista area plus some yummy light food and snacks. The concierge can go over by the excursion desk (or anywhere else). ;)

Like that idea..

Insignia goes into drydock in Bahamas after the cruise on 19 November and next cruise is 7 Dec. So at best a 2 week window.

Edited by PaulMCO

Insignia goes into drydock in Bahamas after the cruise on 19 November and next cruise is 7 Dec. So at best a 2 week window.

If that is the case, it’s enough time for a “fluff-up” but not for a re-do from “down to the studs”.

At least that is what I think but then again - what do I know about drydocks :)

If that is the case, it’s enough time for a “fluff-up” but not for a re-do from “down to the studs”.

Off topic....Hey Paul, was that you on the FT Starwood thread? Now I know who to look for advice on AA.:)

Off topic....Hey Paul, was that you on the FT Starwood thread? Now I know who to look for advice on AA.:)

Yes and maybe (if I know the answer) :D

Been away from the AA boards for a while now as they make awards next to impossible. CSR card is the horse I ride now :)

Yes and maybe (if I know the answer) :D

Been away from the AA boards for a while now as they make awards next to impossible. CSR card is the horse I ride now :)

Noted your street creds on the signature. That is a lot of butt in seat miles. CSR is our card also now on DH side, but I do everyday spend ...so looking. If Amex put a Centurion Lounge in DTW, I’d overlook everyday spend and do two premium cards in the household.

OK...back to original programming.

Noted your street creds on the signature. That is a lot of butt in seat miles. CSR is our card also now on DH side, but I do everyday spend ...so looking. If Amex put a Centurion Lounge in DTW, I’d overlook everyday spend and do two premium cards in the household.

OK...back to original programming.

Saw your comments also Paul... Both Marriott and SPG are both hot topics with changes. Never have been a fan of the SPG Amex card, especially since more inclined towards Marriott with 1200 lifetime nights. The Chase CSR card is a great deal -- give the best bang to feed my UA MP+ account.

back to original programming

In two weeks alot can be done. I presume Insignia will get the required 5 year inspection since her last was in 2014.

They could literally strip most of the public areas down to the studs. NCL just did one where all of the new restaurants were added.

I do not see much hope for the cabins other than a fresh up.

Edited by PaulMCO

In two weeks alot can be done. I presume Insignia will get the required 5 year inspection since her last was in 2014.

They could literally strip most of the public areas down to the studs. NCL just did one where all of the new restaurants were added.

I do not see much hope for the cabins other than a fresh up.

That’s all well and good and I am sure the refreshment/refurbishment of the public areas will be very nice and is needed.

But what most people here are wishing for are more substantial changes to the cabins and bathrooms and I don’t think there is enough time for that during this drydock (as you pointed out).

2 weeks in dry dock is enough time to do many cosmetic upgrades. But a total retrofit resulting in fewer cabins but larger suites, a 3rd SR, rewiring for smart tech use, etc.. could take up to 10 months. That's a long time to be off line. So, it will boil down to cost/benefit. Meanwhile, the industry is getting more competitive and there are headwinds. Oceania needs to be proactive.

2 weeks in dry dock is enough time to do many cosmetic upgrades. But a total retrofit resulting in fewer cabins but larger suites, a 3rd SR, rewiring for smart tech use, etc.. could take up to 10 months. That's a long time to be off line. So, it will boil down to cost/benefit. Meanwhile, the industry is getting more competitive and there are headwinds. Oceania needs to be proactive.

Can't ever do a 10 month long remodel of Insignia since the world cruise takes it away for 6 months out of each year.

A lot of great suggestions. One that I didn't see:

KING SIZE BEDS

Obviously expanding the cabin and bathroom size would take a major referb but, isn't this kind of what this thread is about?

If I remember R ships correctly, they have two parallel hallways. What about just one hallway down the center and expand the depth of the cabins? I know most of that unoccupied center section on every deck is used for staff activity/storage but maybe a way to reduce/consolidate? In the areas of elevators/stairs, just rotate cabins 90 degrees giving a really long veranda.

Just spent 30 days on the Regatta after 3 cruises on the larger ships. Therefore, I do have a few reiterations and suggestions:

1. TV position in PH suites is dangerous!!! Reposition any other place in the room.

2. NO electricity is available in the bathroom, therefore no nightlight. I would recommend some kind of light in the restroom for going up and down the step. Shaving outlet would be helpful as well.

3. The tub in the PH suites is beyond dangerous. Replace immediately. Shelves or storage needed for bathroom.

4. Silly, but...... the magnifying mirrors way in the corner at the desk are of no use!

5. Barista was fine in the bar, but I was very disappointed to see that the cookies and snacks at the counter were prepackaged. Quality seems to be slipping.

6. Menus are repeated every 2 weeks and are uncreative in main dining room. They have been exactly the same on the last 3 cruises.

7. Remove laptop computers in the rooms. It's in the way, old, and the first thing we put under the bed.

8. Make sure all doors are clean!!!

9. Make sure all thermostats work. Temperature modulation has been poor.

Has the retrofit been confirmed or details released. This is all I could obtain. Seems to suggest Polo is turning into Tuscan Steak and Toscana to Red Ginger. The new Jaques Bistro in the main dining room then facilitates a taste of all 4 specialities on the R ships. This does seem the most logical choice.

http://ms.cruise-connections.com/oceaniawc2019/50-million-refurbishment/

Who from Oceania has suggested the ships will be unrecognisable? It would be good to see them evolve into a more contemporary design.

Has the retrofit been confirmed or details released. This is all I could obtain. Seems to suggest Polo is turning into Tuscan Steak and Toscana to Red Ginger. The new Jaques Bistro in the main dining room then facilitates a taste of all 4 specialities on the R ships. This does seem the most logical choice.

http://ms.cruise-connections.com/oceaniawc2019/50-million-refurbishment/

Who from Oceania has suggested the ships will be unrecognisable? It would be good to see them evolve into a more contemporary design.

See post 23.

Some additions to my wish list.

USB power points near the bed. iPad and iPhone need charging.

Fix the air con. Seems like the R ship always have issues.

Larger table in PH suites. There is room and those glass tables do not cut it for dinner in room.

Also Crystal did a full refit of Symphony in a rather short time. It included remakes of cabins, New TVs in new locations throughout the ship, new cabins, new restaurants, plus the usual dry dock mandatories (paint, sandblast, inspection).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

not sure that news is up to date

I thought they scrapped the idea of Tuscan steak on the other R ships

KING SIZE BEDS

That works nicely for people who sleep together, but what about people who sail together but don't want to sleep with each other? Friends, parents and adult children, siblings, etc.

That works nicely for people who sleep together, but what about people who sail together but don't want to sleep with each other? Friends, parents and adult children, siblings, etc.

Split the mattresses apart like they do now unless I'm missing something?

KING SIZE BEDS

not sure they would fit in the A to G cabins maybe in the PH

since they are not doing structural changes it is a moot point

new ships coming to Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) and Port of Miami.

Plenty of ideas in the article for what builders think cruisers want.

Most cruisers probably want the big ships at cheap prices

I am not one of them :halo: