Scotch Drinkers

mgfraser

Hi Everyone,

We have always purchased the premium drink package and I noticed on the list of whiskeys offered by Celebrity in this package it includes Lagavulin. On the last Celebrity cruise I did not find it anywhere. Can anyone offer a different result?

Regards,

Malcolm

I've seen it in the Sunset bar and the Ensemble Lounge on occasion. The scotch selection from bar to bar is never consitent. The World Class might have it but I don't recall seeing it there. I can't stand the stuff but I will take notice if I see it while looking at what other scotches are behind the bar. If you tend to hang out at the same bar you can ask the bartender to get a bottle for you. I've had pretty good success getting them to ensure my favorite scotch is in stock at my usual bars.

We were on the Reflection January 2017. This is my list and yes I drank my share of the peaty ones.

World Class Bar

Talisker 10

Lagavulin 16

Caol ila 12

JW Blue

JW Black

JW Double Black

JW King George 5th

JW XR 21yr

Michael's Club

Macallan Select Oak

Glenfiddich

Glenlivet

Crown royal

JW Black

JW Red

Bourbons at Michael's Club

Maker's Mark

Knobb creek

Cellar masters

Laphroaig 10 $12

Glenlivet Master Distillers Reserve $12

Macallan Select Oak $12

Macallan Whiskey Makers $20

Glenglassaugh 1960 $227

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The peatier the better for me. I prefer lowland scotches, and preferably from Islay.

That being said, whatever they pour at the Captain's Club event seems to get better when I hand the server or bartender a two dollar bill when they deliver my first drink. Suddenly, they are able to reach a little higher on the shelves.:D

We were on the Reflection January 2017. This is my list and yes I drank my share of the peaty ones.

World Class Bar

Talisker 10

Lagavulin 16

Caol ila 12

JW Blue

JW Black

JW Double Black

JW King George 5th

JW XR 21yr

Michael's Club

Macallan Select Oak

Glenfiddich

Glenlivet

Crown royal

JW Black

JW Red

Bourbons at Michael's Club

Maker's Mark

Knobb creek

Cellar masters

Laphroaig 10 $12

Glenlivet Master Distillers Reserve $12

Macallan Select Oak $12

Macallan Whiskey Makers $20

Glenglassaugh 1960 $227

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great info, still have 11 months till next MC visit

Great info, still have 11 months till next MC visit

Today's list is almost irrelevant if you are looking 11 months out. There is constant change at the bars and it varies by ship (and sometimes by cruise).

I'm one of the folks who really enjoys Lagavulin...but it's up to $96 a bottle locally so I'm not likely to repurchase when my current stock runs out.

Have to say that Lagavulin is my least favourite! Tastes like TCP! ...

Then under no circumstances try Laphroaig I find that tastes much more phenolic than Lagavulin.

Love Lagavulin, used have a bottle of Port Ellen at home that my wife brought for about 1/10 of what you'd pay for it today (we drank it) that was divine. For all round quality and value for money I find Tallisker hard to beat. Oban and The Balvenie are also fab.

All the JW blends I've ever tasted (Red, Black, Gold and Green) haven't been that great. Yet to try Blue.

All the JW blends I've ever tasted (Red, Black, Gold and Green) haven't been that great. Yet to try Blue.

I like JW green and gold but reallly like platinum which is 18 year old and of course 21 year old blue , a few years ago the platinum was covered by rccl drink package

Then under no circumstances try Laphroaig I find that tastes much more phenolic than Lagavulin.

Love Lagavulin, used have a bottle of Port Ellen at home that my wife brought for about 1/10 of what you'd pay for it today (we drank it) that was divine. For all round quality and value for money I find Tallisker hard to beat. Oban and The Balvenie are also fab.

I'm the opposite, I don't love it but I can drink Laphroaig, but Lagavulin tastes like bleach to me.

Lagavulin is certainly an acquired taste. I bought a bottle at our local Costco a few years ago, not knowing then about the 'peaty' taste. I eventually drank the bottle an ounce or two over ice now and then. Toward the bottom of the bottle I started getting used to the smoky kick. I really prefer Macallan 12 and I've had great luck getting it stocked for me by our butler before we sail, thus making a nightcap in the suite each evening a real pleasure. I'm really looking forward to just a wee bit next month as I soak in the tub on the veranda.

Lagavulin is certainly an acquired taste. I bought a bottle at our local Costco a few years ago, not knowing then about the 'peaty' taste. I eventually drank the bottle an ounce or two over ice now and then. Toward the bottom of the bottle I started getting used to the smoky kick. I really prefer Macallan 12 and I've had great luck getting it stocked for me by our butler before we sail, thus making a nightcap in the suite each evening a real pleasure. I'm really looking forward to just a wee bit next month as I soak in the tub on the veranda.

Nice Butler! I don't think I've seen Macallan 12 on a ship for many years. They seem to have the Select Oak and some other NAS variety. I prefer the 12 over the Select Oak. I noticed on our last cruise even the Glenlivet was a NAS variety, founders reserve or something. Gawd it was awful.

No Macallen 12 on Equinox in RS this month. And I asked ahead of time and on the ship. Just some Glenfiddich that was not tasty and not seen by me before. I opted for Dalwhinnie 15 (neat) that I could get in MC either before dinner or as a night cap from the very nice bartender Joey who was there in the evenings.

Looking back on the shoreshide concierge email I see the RS scotch selections were Glenfiddich select cask or Johnny Walker Black.

Hope you have better luck K12Guy!

No Macallen 12 on Equinox in RS this month. And I asked ahead of time and on the ship. Just some Glenfiddich that was not tasty and not seen by me before. I opted for Dalwhinnie 15 (neat) that I could get in MC either before dinner or as a night cap from the very nice bartender Joey who was there in the evenings.

Looking back on the shoreshide concierge email I see the RS scotch selections were Glenfiddich select cask or Johnny Walker Black.

Hope you have better luck K12Guy!

Your comments are likely very correct! My social secretary (aka Wife to the Nth Degree) reminded me that the Mac 12 was probably on a Regent cruise and I got Mac Select Oak last time on Celebrity. I guess I will just have to rough it with sub-par single malt whilst soaking in the tub on the veranda. We all have our sacrifices, I suppose. Life is good. Every day I don't wake up dead I know it's going to be a great day!

Hi,

Macallan select oak has been available on my last two cruise. No sign of the 12 yr old. This is probably because Macallan has not produce a 12 yr old for a few year being replaced with NAS versions.

Good news is that Macallan announced the reintroduction of the 12 yr old in March this year

Jim

Hi,

Macallan select oak has been available on my last two cruise. No sign of the 12 yr old. This is probably because Macallan has not produce a 12 yr old for a few year being replaced with NAS versions.

Good news is that Macallan announced the reintroduction of the 12 yr old in March this year

Jim

Strange, there's been no disruption in the supply of Macallan 12 around SoCal. Even Costco has it.