Back from the Zuiderdam's Viking Passage -- some thoughts on our first HAL cruise

Turtles06

Thanks for the great review! Love Copenhagen! We like to stay near Nyhaven.

Just wondering if the seas were smooth, this is a cruise I am interested in, but my sealegs aren’t reliable. :)

Thank you!

Any specific hotel suggestions near Nyhavn? (The area is such a zoo during the day, I suspect one must pick hotel locations there carefully.)

As for the seas... I have to say, given how far north we were, I was expecting more rough seas than we had. It was mostly pretty calm. There were a few afternoons when the Captain warned us to expect very high winds and rough seas during the night and to put breakables/valuables away, and barf bags were hung in the passageways, and then . . . nothing. Smoooth... One day no warnings were issued and we had what was pretty much the only night with any real "motion" at all, some really nice rolling that I love.

All that said, you have cruised enough to know that no one can predict the weather, wind, or seas, and just because we had whatever experience we had, does not mean anyone else on the same route will have that same experience. :D

Judith

Thanks for a great review. Which ports did you miss due to weather? And where did you spend the day and a half?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your kind words!

The first port we missed because of weather was Seydisfjordur in east Iceland. While we were in the midst of our port call in Djupivigor the day before, the Captain announced that we were going to skip Seydisfjordur the next day because of predicted high winds that would make it unsafe to tender, and that we would head directly to our next port, Akureyri, arriving half a day early.

This meant that we arrived in Akureyri at noon the day before our scheduled full day there. Since my wife and I had a long private tour booked for that next day (taking us to Godafoss, Lake Myvatn, the Nature Baths, etc.), this extra afternoon gave us an opportunity to walk around Akureyri itself. The next afternoon, while we were on our tour, the guide said he had just been informed that our ship would not be leaving that evening! Argh! No rush to get back to the ship, though.

But once we did, we learned that we would be spending the entire next day in Akureyri because of a strong storm moving across Iceland from Greenland. We weren't the only ship taking shelter. When we awoke the next morning, there were three other ships there, and I suspect not all of them had been scheduled to be in Akureyri at the same time. (We were, however, bumped from our berth, and had to anchor out and tender.) When we finally set sail late that afternoon, having been in Akureyri for 2.5 days, Captain Vaartjes announced that we'd "broken the record" for the most time spent by a cruise ship there, and that we'd been there so long, we'd been made "honorary citizens." I loved his sense of humor.

Just as we had nearly finished our sail out of the long fjord where Akureyri is located, we turned around and started heading back to Akureyi at top speed. You could hear the collective groans all over the ship. Unfortunately, as we soon learned, there was a medical emergency on board; as we got closer to Akureyri, a small boat came out to meet us, and we transferred a male passenger (via a wheelchair) into the boat, along with a woman who was probably his wife. He was able to sit up in the boat, and she was waving; I certainly hope all turned out well for them.

Finally, because we'd lost a day in Akureyri because of the storm, the Captain announced that we would be skipping Paamiut, our first port in Greenland, so that we could keep to our scheduled arrival in New York.

Whew.

Were you using the kit lens or some other lens?

Both. Mostly I was using the Sony 18-200mm, but sometimes I was using the 16-50mm kit lens, which I like a lot. I do like the 18-200 as well, and I've been using it for years (as my travel/walking around lens), ever since I bought my first Sony (the a6000), but I'm starting to find its weight and chunkiness a bit much. This trip convinced me to look at the Sony 18-135mm, which did not exist when I bought the a6000. I knew the 18-135 weighs 7 ounces less than the 18-200, but until I held it in my hands this weekend I did not realize how different it also is in terms of the chunkiness. Much more comfortable. So I bought it. :D

Judith, did you go to St Pierre Island??? If so what did you do there?? Do you know anyone that did the ships tour to Blue Lagoon??? Our second day in Iceland is a short one as we leave at 2! Usually do private tours but dont feel comfortable doing this on a short day!!

No, St. Pierre was not on our itinerary. I don't know anyone who went to the Blue Lagoon, although I would imagine some folks did. We had two full days in Reykjavik (I'm sorry about your early departure on the second day), which gave us time for the two "big" full day tours -- the South Coast and the Golden Circle. As for taking the ship's tour to the Blue Lagoon -- that would just be transportation, right? (So no worries about a bad guide!)

We usually do private tours also, except in certain situations, including the one you will have -- a short day.

I'll just mention that if you want to experience a geothermal bath, the Nature Baths in Myvatn (which you can visit on a tour from Akureyri, including as part of a full day doing other things) are supposed to be far less touristy than the Blue Lagoon. We spent an hour at the Nature Baths, and it was heaven. We hated to leave! (Of course, the Blue Lagoon might be a good use of your shorter second day in Reykjavik.)

enhance

(photo by turtles06)

Thank you!

Any specific hotel suggestions near Nyhavn? (The area is such a zoo during the day, I suspect one must pick hotel locations there carefully.)

As for the seas... I have to say, given how far north we were, I was expecting more rough seas than we had. It was mostly pretty calm. There were a few afternoons when the Captain warned us to expect very high winds and rough seas during the night and to put breakables/valuables away, and barf bags were hung in the passageways, and then . . . nothing. Smoooth... One day no warnings were issued and we had what was pretty much the only night with any real "motion" at all, some really nice rolling that I love.

All that said, you have cruised enough to know that no one can predict the weather, wind, or seas, and just because we had whatever experience we had, does not mean anyone else on the same route will have that same experience. :D

Judith

HAL put us up in the Scandic Front...which is a short walk to Nyhavn and other nice landmarks. We feel it was a great location and no bell tower!

Judith, did you go to St Pierre Island??? If so what did you do there?? Do you know anyone that did the ships tour to Blue Lagoon??? Our second day in Iceland is a short one as we leave at 2! Usually do private tours but dont feel comfortable doing this on a short day!!

I did the ship's tour to the Blue Lagoon from the Rotterdam in July. I was quite happy with it and it was important to do it with the ship on the last day because we knew the ship would wait for us.

Thanks Judith!!! I guess we might grin and bare it!! I hate paying high price cruise tours!!

You sure had your share of difficulties on this cruise! We all know you have to flow with the waters!!

Did you happen to notice if Pinnacle grill was ever open for lunch!!, one of our favorite meals on the Zaandam!,

Hi Judith, thanks for your review, were there any children on board? We are thinking of doing similar in 2020. Our children will be 11 and 9. Following Royal Caribbean also for info.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I could count on one hand the number of kids on board. Also, as you are probably aware, the adult demographic on a trip like this is seniors (of which I am one :D ).

What was the weather in Iceland Greenland??? I know wet but was it cold??? Puffer coat???

Yes, puffer coat, with a rain jacket as an additional outer layer. Also hats and gloves (not needed that often, but still needed). And rain paints (again, when you needed them, you really needed them). And definitely waterproof shoes. (We have low-cut waterproof Merrell hiking shoes and they were perfect for this trip.) With those layers, I was never really cold.

Yes, puffer coat, with a rain jacket as an additional outer layer. Also hats and gloves (not needed that often, but still needed). And rain paints (again, when you needed them, you really needed them). And definitely waterproof shoes. (We have low-cut waterproof Merrell hiking shoes and they were perfect for this trip.) With those layers, I was never really cold.

After texting before bought water proof hiking shoes from Sierra! May never wear them again but glad igot them

Judith,

Which tour did you enjoy most out of Reykjavik? The Golden Circle tour or the South Coast tour? We're there next summer and only have one day there and I'm not sure which one would be best. I know there is a lot of driving to do the South Coast tour, but it sounds spectacular!