Silver Spirits Drinks Package.

English Voyager

It’s a shame that on the same cruise line some people have a good choice and other don’t.

I really agree and thank you for highlighting the problem so that we and others now know to look at the wine by the glass option. There is certainly room for Viking to make this more obvious as it was not only yourselves who missed out because you gained the false impression that there are only 3 additional reds and whites for those on the package.

All the best!

We finally heard from Viking headquarters and they will not cancel our pre-booked silverspirits plan so we have to continue with it. It definitely is at this point only three red wines and three whites plus one proseco.

I'd strongly advise that, unless Viking comes up with a clear statement about what is in the package, people avoid booking this silver spirits plan until they're on board and can check for themselves what is currently included on that ship at that time and whether that meets what they find useful.

Linda

I am really sorry to hear about the problems you're having Linda. Thanks for the updated information and please do continue to post about how this is finally resolved (or not!)

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Forums mobile app

False impression, eh? I'm on a viking ocean cruise right this minute and that is exactly what they now have. Three red, three white and a proseco. When I can I'll share the current -- updated -- wine list.

Linda

There is certainly room for Viking to make this more obvious as it was not only yourselves who missed out because you gained the false impression that there are only 3 additional reds and whites for those on the package.

All the best!

I'm confused on something. If you don't buy the bev package aren't drinks included at lunch & dinner. Are they the same as if you do have the package? Is champagne available at lunch/dinner, or does it cost extra even at lunch/dinner?

I'm confused on something. If you don't buy the bev package aren't drinks included at lunch & dinner. Are they the same as if you do have the package? Is champagne available at lunch/dinner, or does it cost extra even at lunch/dinner?

Beer and wine are included at mealtime without the package. There are options provided and you choose from those. It may or may not be you choice but it is what is offered with that promise. If you want something else you may purchase it. Just like going to someone's home and food or drinks are served. If you like them, great and if not you decline and bring something is more to your liking.

False impression, eh? I'm on a viking ocean cruise right this minute and that is exactly what they now have. Three red, three white and a proseco. When I can I'll share the current -- updated -- wine list.

Linda

Linda, I'm very sorry about your situation. photopro2 is correct it was indeed a false impression. Viking stated that you have more choice of premium drinks as long as the price below $15 per glass. I don't think you can consider 3 reds and 3 whites as more choice to pay $279 P/p for 14 nights.

What is interesting that some people had a long list of wines available. Different ship?

What ship are you on?

Linda, I'm very sorry about your situation. photopro2 is correct it was indeed a false impression. Viking stated that you have more choice of premium drinks as long as the price below $15 per glass. I don't think you can consider 3 reds and 3 whites as more choice to pay $279 P/p for 14 nights.

What is interesting that some people had a long list of wines available. Different ship?

What ship are you on?

The lack of choice is making me think about cancelling the package. Given that whites can vary - eg if all are Chardonnay or sweet wines, I wouldn’t drink any of them. As far as reds go, I only drink light reds and not the cab savs or Shiraz. This seems quite disappointing, I’d expected more premium choice on such an expensive cruise line. Celebrity was far better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had a wide choice of wines on our January cruise. I think I would email Viking and ask for the list available before cancelling the package. We thought the package was excellent.

On our previous cruise we just had the included wines, which was also fine if you want to pay for drinks other than those provided with meals.

I am surprised that Viking have not given a definitive answer on this thread.

We had a wide choice of wines on our January cruise. I think I would email Viking and ask for the list available before cancelling the package. We thought the package was excellent.

On our previous cruise we just had the included wines, which was also fine if you want to pay for drinks other than those provided with meals.

I am surprised that Viking have not given a definitive answer on this thread.

Yes. It seems inconsistent as to what is provided. I’m surprised they haven’t responded but maybe that inconsistency is the reason they haven’t answered here.

Linda

Thanks for the correction Linda.

As vnb2003 says it would be really helpful to know which ship you are on. If it turns out that Viking are experimenting with a revision of the policy (maybe just on that ship) and you are the first to report it, the information will be of great interest to the rest of the cruisecritic community.

In that regard I would like to ask a further question if I may, for the benefit of people who might decide that the information you provided has suggested that they may be better off not buying the package......

Do other passengers currently on your ship (those who have decided in advance not to have the package) have any option to buy wine by the glass in The Restaurant and Manfredi's? If so how many wines by the glass do they have to chose from and how much is the wine per glass?

Sorry to pester you with another question about what is obviously a potentially upsetting situation but, being on the cruise now, you have the opportunity to glean detailed information that the rest of us have no access to.

We have only had the package once in November - the selection of wines is not a huge issue to us - it is only part of the package of course. I will try to explain how it worked for us ; in the chef’s table we just explained that we were on the package and the upgraded selection came out - there were four wine served and refills were available on request, in the restaurant and Manfredis, we again mentioned it and a bar list was produced with several choices of wine which we enjoyed trying. There were certainly more than three. In the World Cafe we went to the bar and asked what was in the wine fridge - we were offered tastings to help decide. We then took it to the table - refills were easily obtained. In the bars if we wanted wine we just asked what was available. The wines in the bars do tend to vary a little but we were always pleased with the selections available. I realise that this is a very important subject for some but I have to say we had no complaints and were quite laid back with the variability and enjoyed what was on offer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can't seem to find a specific answer to this...

If we are in a DV and have purchased the beverage package, can we order multiple glasses of champagne through room service and it be included in the package, since there is none provided in the room even with the beverage package.

If yes, do we also have to order food as part of the room service order, or can it just be the champagne? If just champagne, would it arrive in 10 minutes or so (hopefully quicker than food), or still take 30 minutes or so?

I can't seem to find a specific answer to this...

If we are in a DV and have purchased the beverage package, can we order multiple glasses of champagne through room service and it be included in the package, since there is none provided in the room even with the beverage package.

If yes, do we also have to order food as part of the room service order, or can it just be the champagne? If just champagne, would it arrive in 10 minutes or so (hopefully quicker than food), or still take 30 minutes or so?

In my expereince,I always had a beverage package when I cruised on Celebrity.

Could only order one drink at a time. No ordering multiple glasses of wine or martinis at the same time at any bars on ship.

As to room service. I have never heard of room service bringing liquor or wine or beer with or without a food order.

One can always buy a bottle of wine on board, or bring wine on board from port.

Or go to the bar and order a glass of champagne and bring it back to your room.

Upper level staterooms on Viking do have liquor and a bottle of sparkling wine unpon arrival in their stateroom. Not for V or DV staterooms.

Could only order one drink at a time. No ordering multiple glasses of wine or martinis at the same time at any bars on ship.

As to room service. I have never heard of room service bringing liquor or wine or beer with or without a food order.

Upper level staterooms on Viking do have liquor and a bottle of sparkling wine unpon arrival in their stateroom. Not for V or DV staterooms.

We ordered mimosas for our breakfast in room when we had a sea day but we had a package.

The choice changed twice during our recent 10 day West Indies Explorer cruise. If you are not sure what you would like, they are very happy to provide a tasting, along with the "included wine". We found you quickly found your preferred white or red. They are listed on a small wine menu placed on each table. They are priced at $6.5 if you are not on the package.

There is no need to state that you are on the package, just give them your cabin number when you order and their system takes care of the rest. This applies to other bars as well. In addition, if you eat in the Chefs Table, they already know that you are on the drinks package and automatically give you the premium flight of wines.

It’s a really nice program, you don’t even have to tell them that you are on the program, they get that information from their handheld computers . Just give the server your room number .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

can we order multiple glasses of champagne through room service and it be included in the package,

If you mean "Champagne" then the answer is certainly no, as the SS package only covers drinks up to $15 and the cheapest Champagne is $16 per glass! However there are qualifying sparkling wines on the sample bar price list that Viking displays in the "Enhance your trip" section of My Viking Journey i.e. Viking sparkling wine (whatever that may be?... I look forward to sampling it though :D ) and a Prosecco.

The best way to get a Champagne that is exactly to your taste would be to take a bottle or two with you and put them in the fridge. Viking will happily allow you to do that and will provide you with all the glassies you may require. We did this with our favourite New Zealand White and just asked for empty wine glassies from any bar which was never a problem.

Edited by photopro2
missing words

I am sure that I have read somewhere here where someone in a V cabin with the package would order afternoon cocktails to be delivered to the cabin. It was months ago, so there is no way I would be able to find it again.

There are several single malts available within the package! For a full list if you have booked already - go to My Viking Journey, add your booking, go to enhance your trip in the left menu, and then an offer to buy the package will pop up. Underneath it before you buy is the full drinks menu for one of the main bars that you can review.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am sure that I have read somewhere here where someone in a V cabin with the package would order afternoon cocktails to be delivered to the cabin. It was months ago, so there is no way I would be able to find it again.

If it’s not in the room service menu then you will have to go to a restaurant or bar to get it. Booze is not on their RS Menu !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums