felon/passport/cruise

the_great_one

I was looking into taking a cruise next year and a buddy expressed interest in joining our group. Only issue is that she fell in with the wrong crowd 20 years ago, screwed up royally and now has a felony on her record. She did no jail time, completed her probation, has done nothing wrong since and is not on any monitoring now. I don't believe she ever had it expunged or pardoned because it's never been an issue here. She's cruised with us all to Mexico recently without issue, but now we were thinking about going to Alaska with stops in Canada and were curious.

- do they scan the passports and those are linked to a U.S. criminal database which is how they locate passengers with a criminal record?

- is Mexico not as diligent as Canada which is why there was no problem before?

- would worst case be that she would not be allowed off the ship in Canada?

- the cruise we are looking at begins and ends in Los Angeles, CA.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

She will have no problem at all if the charges have been dismissed over 7 years ago . She can even register to vote as long as it has been 7 years since the sentence was completed and she was removed from the system . This is what I have seen first hand with a relative who traveled in and out of Canada and cruised the Carribean with me . Make some calls if it will ease your mind .

Thank you for the answers:

- so do they scan the passports which are linked to a U.S. criminal database which is how they locate passengers with a criminal record?

- what if you do not travel with a passport, or are they now mandatory?

- if you did not need passports before, how did Canada ever know who had a criminal record?

- I am not sure what you mean by 'if the charges have been dismissed over 7 years ago.' She was sentenced 20 years ago and that was that. No trouble since but she also not tried to get the felony reduced or removed.

- she has always been able to vote here, even as a felon.

- when you says that 'Canada is much more diligent checking on past transgressions', does this mean they interview her after something shows up when they run her passport?

- for a cruise that begins and ends in the U.S., is the worst case that she would have to remain on the ship in Canada?

Thank you for the answers:

- so do they scan the passports which are linked to a U.S. criminal database which is how they locate passengers with a criminal record?

- what if you do not travel with a passport, or are they now mandatory?

- if you did not need passports before, how did Canada ever know who had a criminal record?

- I am not sure what you mean by 'if the charges have been dismissed over 7 years ago.' She was sentenced 20 years ago and that was that. No trouble since but she also not tried to get the felony reduced or removed.

- she has always been able to vote here, even as a felon.

- when you says that 'Canada is much more diligent checking on past transgressions', does this mean they interview her after something shows up when they run her passport?

- for a cruise that begins and ends in the U.S., is the worst case that she would have to remain on the ship in Canada?

I highly advise you to not rely on advice on a chat board about this issue. If your friend was convicted of a felony, she will not be allowed to enter Canada. She will need to apply for a rehabilitation waiver from Canada, and this can take up to a year to process. Fees range from $200 to $1000.

Canadian officials have access to all these records, and even if she is not using a passport, they would pull this up with her I.D.

Don't rely on opinions from people who have no experience with the subject.

I have sailed on the US/Canada itineraries for many years.

The Canadian and American aurhorities do share the criminal database information.

On nearly every cruise, we have had American passengers confined to the ship in Canadian ports, due to past criminal activities.

Something as simple as a speeding ticket can cause the Canadian authorities to deny entrance to their country.

And forget about the 7-year limit story. I recently had an American passenger who was denied entrance to Canada due to a speeding ticket from 1969.

In all my years at sea, I have never seen a cruise passenger arrested for past criminal activities by Canadian authorities. But I have witnessed many hundreds questioned onboard by the local police, then told that they would not be allowed to go ashore in any Canadian port.

The transgressions we discussed involved alcohol-related crimes, automobile-related crimes, drug-related crimes, firearm-related crimes, and other felonies. The Ship's Security is entrusted by Canadian Authorities to ensure that the passengers in question will not be allowed down the gangway.

A few of the smarter passengers had contacted the Canadian Authorities in advance, advising them of their travel plans and asking how to best proceed. These passengers were treated far nicer by the authorities, as they were upfront about the situation, and didn't try to hide anything.

I recommend that you follow their lead.

^^^^ What he said. There are databases now which contain information about every aspect of our lives, past and present and despite what we are told "They" can always access details of things we may think are long expired or expunged from the record. Whether this prevents you from disembarking in a foreign country is largely down to the rules and regulations applicable in that country (and sometimes the diligence of customs/immigration officials) so it's always best to ask in advance and if necessary obtain the relevant documentation/permits, etc. If you aren't upfront about it these things have a nasty habit of coming back to haunt you, usually at the most inconvenient or embarrassing moment. You can't slip under the radar these days.

Yes, Canada and the US do share information on criminal convictions however Canada takes the view that if the event occured 10 years and there have been no further incidents then the person is deemed to have been fully rehabilitated...so your friend should not have a problem. I would bring all of the paperwork relating to the matter and be prepared to show if if questions, however I would be surprised if something that far out will even come up. Here is a link that you may find informative link

In general, people are considered to be criminally inadmissible to Canada if they were convicted of an offence in Canada or were convicted of an offence outside of Canada that is considered a crime in Canada. In order to enter Canada, these people must obtain Approval of Rehabilitation or a Temporary Resident Permit at a Canadian Consulate or Embassy.

Offences involving operation of a motor vehicle while impaired by alcohol or drugs will, with very rare exceptions, render persons criminally inadmissible to Canada and therefore in need of Approval of Rehabilitation or a Temporary Resident Permit to enter Canada for any purpose and any purpose and any length of time.

Approval of Rehabilitation

Approval of Rehabilitation may be granted if you can show that you have a stable lifestyle and that it is unlikely that you will be involved in any further criminal activity. You may apply for rehabilitation if five years have passed since the end of your sentence. Periods of probation are considered to be part of the sentence as are payment of fines and restitution of a driver's licence.

Approval of rehabilitation permanently overcomes inadmissibility arising from the offence declared.

Temporary Resident Permit

If you are inadmissible to Canada for criminal, medical or other reasons and there are compelling and urgent reasons to allow you to enter or remain in Canada, you may apply for a Temporary Resident Permit.

Offences involving operation of a motor vehicle while impaired by alcohol or drugs will, with very rare exceptions, render persons criminally inadmissible to Canada - and therefore in need of Approval of Rehabilitation or a Temporary Resident Permit to enter Canada for any purpose and any length of time.

A Temporary Resident Permit temporarily overcomes inadmissibility.

Authority to Return to Canada

Use this application if you are seeking authority to re-enter Canada prior to the expiry of an Exclusion Order or you are seeking authority to return to Canada because you are the subject of a Deportation Order.

Note: If you have urgent and compelling reasons for entry to Canada within the next 6 months and are eligible to apply for Approval of Rehabilitation (i.e. beyond the 5 year prohibition), we encourage you to submit your Approval of Rehabilitation and Temporary Resident Permit applications at the same time.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/seattle/imm/inadmissible-interdiction.aspx?lang=eng

Thank you all very much. I checked with my friend. She is not computer literate so I am trying to help her out. I understand it is her deal but I am trying to be a friend and get as much info as I can online and then she can follow up offline.

- for those who say she will not be allowed to enter Canada since she was convicted of a felony, would they kick her off the boat once it gets into Canadian waters or do you mean just not let her off the boat into the country but still be allowed to cruise home without problem?

- would applying for a rehabilitation waiver from Canada and drawing attention to herself be better than not doing anything and just seeing what, if anything, happens?

- when we went to Mexico recently and her entrance to the ship and being allowed off in Mexican ports was no problem, is that because more than 10 years had passed since her conviction or because Mexico is more lax than Canada or because the world is just more aware of everything now than it was before?

- I asked and she did say that her felonies were not alcohol, drug, weapon, violence or driving related but that she preferred not to go into it more with me and I respect that.

- she was born in the U.S. legally so is a U.S. citizen and the cruise in question begins and ends in the U.S., so worst case is she would be confined to the ship while in Canada ports assuming she is not in any trouble by then?

Again, thank you all for your input.

It's very nice of you to want to help out your friend. However this is your friend's problem and she needs to consult the appropriate legal consul to get her questions answered and to see if her record can be esponged.

DO MAKE TRAVEL PLANS BASED ON GENERAL INFORMATION ON THESE BOARDS.

Something as simple as a speeding ticket can cause the Canadian authorities to deny entrance to their country.

And forget about the 7-year limit story. I recently had an American passenger who was denied entrance to Canada due to a speeding ticket from 1969.

Traffic citations are not entered into NCIC, thus Canada nor any other country would have access to them.

It is truly amazing to see all these very authorative comments from so many people who claim to know what the situation is. Because there are so many posts which directly contradict each other, one certainty is that at least half the people who claim to know are simply ignorant of the facts. The other certainty is that anyone who relies on this sort of source for important information should be kept out of Canada (and any other civilized area) on the grounds of stupidity alone.

Not everyone has the money for an attorney. Many people save up a long time to cruise and need that extra $250 (or more for an hour with an attorney) for their cruise.

If you are wanting to lend the money to this person, AWESOME!

I think it is great that you are offering her good advice, but your advice is costly.

...she was born in the U.S. legally so is a U.S. citizen and the cruise in question begins and ends in the U.S., so worst case is she would be confined to the ship while in Canada ports assuming she is not in any trouble by then?

But how would anyone "prevent" her from leaving the ship at a Canadian port? Crew stop her on the gangway? I doubt it.

But how would anyone "prevent" her from leaving the ship at a Canadian port? Crew stop her on the gangway? I doubt it.

Yes...just as the crew will prevent you from disembarking at the end of the cruise if your on board accouint has not been settled. Your passenger record will be flagged and when they swipe your card as you try to exit, the crew will be alerted to not permit your disembarkation.

I have to call BS on this one. If this was seriously the case there would barely be an American that could ever travel to Canada. There is more to this story.

Ignorance is bliss, but don't post what you don't know.

I have to call BS on this one. If this was seriously the case there would barely be an American that could ever travel to Canada. There is more to this story.

Ignorance is bliss, but don't post what you don't know.

It could have been unpaid ticket and there was a warrant out on the person...I suppose.

Customs has the passenger manifests in both Prince Rupert and Victoria in advance of arrivals...that is why you have to show ID and a person could be turned around at the check point.

Thank you all very much. I checked with my friend. She is not computer literate so I am trying to help her out. I understand it is her deal but I am trying to be a friend and get as much info as I can online and then she can follow up offline.

- for those who say she will not be allowed to enter Canada since she was convicted of a felony, would they kick her off the boat once it gets into Canadian waters or do you mean just not let her off the boat into the country but still be allowed to cruise home without problem?

- would applying for a rehabilitation waiver from Canada and drawing attention to herself be better than not doing anything and just seeing what, if anything, happens?

- when we went to Mexico recently and her entrance to the ship and being allowed off in Mexican ports was no problem, is that because more than 10 years had passed since her conviction or because Mexico is more lax than Canada or because the world is just more aware of everything now than it was before?

- I asked and she did say that her felonies were not alcohol, drug, weapon, violence or driving related but that she preferred not to go into it more with me and I respect that.

- she was born in the U.S. legally so is a U.S. citizen and the cruise in question begins and ends in the U.S., so worst case is she would be confined to the ship while in Canada ports assuming she is not in any trouble by then?

Again, thank you all for your input.

Left to me, I would just ignore it...bring along the paper work...I sincerely doubt that as long as there has been any further issues in the past 10 years she will not have a problem. At the very worst she just would not be permitted off the ship in Victoria or Prince Rupert. The most important thing is to tell the customs officer the truth if asked about a criminal record and be prepared to show the paper work...at the end of the day the customs officer has a great deal of discretion over who is let in or not. Incidently, she does not have tell the customs officer of her record unless asked.

It could have been unpaid ticket and there was a warrant out on the person...I suppose.

Warrants only are entered into NCIC if the entering agency is willing to extradite. I don't know of an agency that will extradite for a traffic warrant.;)

My dad got in trouble when he was younger... he didn't think of what would happen down the track.

They went to a travel agent and mentioned that he had a criminal record, and travel agents all said basically don't ever bother going to America - you won't be allowed in.

He went to the local police station who did a record search for him, and got a letter printed from the Australian Government saying that they do not see him as a risk to anybody, was a long time ago, has not done anything bad recently, etc... and they flew to America last week and had no issues at all with immigration but brought his letters for back-up.

Maybe get your friend to speak to the local homeland security department/police station to see what the outcome will be? They may need a special visa or something.

hope you all have a great trip! :)

....a speeding ticket since 1969........50 percent of the ship probably has that.........and therefore would be denied entry.

Archived