Cruise ship death at Lyttelton Harbour (two threads merged)

Kiwi_cruiser

A 32-year-old foreign national is missing presumed drowned after a cruise liner lifeboat training exercise at Lyttelton Harbour went horribly wrong this afternoon.

The man, a crew member aboard the MS Volendam, a Holland America line luxury vessel, was thrown into the water along with another crew member when one of the wires attaching the lifeboat to the main vessel snapped sending the men tumbling into the water. Two other life boats had been safely deployed.

Simon Duncan, general manager of Garden City Helicopters, said the other crew member managed to cling to a bucket until he was rescued by the Canterbury Coastguard, but the missing man who was wearing heavy clothing and boots was seen to go under the water and did not reappear. Neither man was wearing a life jacket.

There was a strong southerly breeze blowing at the time and the sea was "very choppy", Duncan said.

Duncan said the Westpac Rescue Helicopter was called to the scene at 2.50pm and searched the Lyttelton Port area for the man. Members of the coast guard and from the cruise liner also searched for the man.

When he could not be found the Lyttelton Port company sent a team of divers in to look for the man. At this stage he has not been found.

Source: Stuff.co.nz and same story on NZ Herald

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/search-missing-crew-member-3994602

Search on for missing crew member

Published: 5:00PM Saturday January 08, 2011 Source: ONE News/Newstalk ZB

Cable snaps on life boat at Cashin Quay - Source: ONE News

Christchurch police are looking for a missing crew member, presumed drowned, from a cruise ship currently docked in Lyttelton Harbour.

Crew members were practicing life boat drills at Cashin Quay when a cable snapped on one of the boats being lowered into the water at around 2:30 this afternoon.

Inspector Mike Coulter said two people fell into the water. One man was rescued by the Canterbury coast guard and taken to hospital but another 32-year old man is still missing.

Both men were wearing heavy clothing.

lifeboat_2.jpg

We were on the Volendam this past July and we loved the ship and thought the crew was just wonderful. Everyone was so friendly.

Feel so bad for this man and his family. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and the rest of the crew.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/search-missing-crew-member-3994602

Search on for missing crew member

Published: 5:00PM Saturday January 08, 2011 Source: ONE News/Newstalk ZB

Cable snaps on life boat at Cashin Quay - Source: ONE News

Christchurch police are looking for a missing crew member, presumed drowned, from a cruise ship currently docked in Lyttelton Harbour.

Crew members were practicing life boat drills at Cashin Quay when a cable snapped on one of the boats being lowered into the water at around 2:30 this afternoon.

Inspector Mike Coulter said two people fell into the water. One man was rescued by the Canterbury coast guard and taken to hospital but another 32-year old man is still missing.

Both men were wearing heavy clothing.

lifeboat_2.jpg

I guess the Volendam will be delayed from departing this evening. A very tragic day for all concerned.

I guess the Volendam will be delayed from departing this evening. A very tragic day for all concerned.

As at 8:10 Pm, NZ daylight saving time:

"The body of a crew member who was thrown into the harbour at Lyttelton today has been recovered this evening.

The 29-year-old, believed to be a foreign national, was one of the crew on the cruise ship MS Volendam docked at Cashin Quay, and was practicing life boat drills with others when a cable on one of the boats snapped.

He and another man were pitched into the water about 2.30 this afternoon.

The other man was rescued and is being treated in Christchurch Hospital.

A search was launched for the missing man.

The matter has been referred to the coroner.

The cruise liner is operated by the Holland America Line and was due to leave Christchurch this evening."

Source: http://nz.news.yahoo.com/

Very sad.

It's hard to believe that in this day and age that the employer wouldn't be somehow responsible to ensure that crew members doing such a drill be required to wear some form of floatation device. I can accept that equipment failure does happen and a cable can break. In this case it took two things to kill this poor crew member. A coroners inquest if they have one or something similar will recommend changes to prevent it from happening again.

As a mariner member I am deeply concerned about the tragic incident in NEW ZEALAND when a crew member lost his life in a life boat incident today. It is inexcusable that a wire would snap if proper maintenance which is standard procedure on all passenger ships had been maintained. Imagine in a real emergency if passengers had been in this life boat. Heads must roll form the Captain down as to why these two crew members were not wearing life vests.

On the Zaandam last April I queried Deck officiers as to why there was low maintenance been carried out on the ship ie lots of rust everywhere, stabiliser problems, dirty windows , unusual engine room noises and staff cuts everywhere.

I am reluctant to travel with HAL until a full and open inquiry takes place and not cost cutings are responsible for this tragic incident.

On the Zaandam last April I queried Deck officiers as to why there was low maintenance been carried out on the ship ie lots of rust everywhere, stabiliser problems, dirty windows , unusual engine room noises and staff cuts everywhere.

And thier answer was ??

I an so sad and angry at the news of the crew member's death in New Zealand. We were on the Volendam last year (2010) and in our end of cruise feedback commented on the lax attitude to OH&S on the ship. Issues included a crew member working at height with a safety harness not clipped on - visible from the fitness centre! And crew working on lifeboats without warning passengers on the lower promenade deck that maintenance was in progress and engines (and propellers) were about to start. On one occasion, a metal object dropped from a lifeboat very close to a sitting passenger on the lower promenade deck. HAL had warning that their standards had slipped. I hope the Coroner detains the ship until a proper inquiry is held.

It's hard to believe that in this day and age that the employer wouldn't be somehow responsible to ensure that crew members doing such a drill be required to wear some form of floatation device. I can accept that equipment failure does happen and a cable can break. In this case it took two things to kill this poor crew member. A coroners inquest if they have one or something similar will recommend changes to prevent it from happening again.

The death has been referred to the coroner. An inquest will take place - it has to, in all cases of accidental death. And recommendations will be made.

However, it probably will not happen soon.

While I agree that I am surprised that a life-jacket was not worn, speculation about what should have happened is not going to bring this poor person back.

My sympathies to his family and to the crew who were his colleagues.

I hope the Coroner detains the ship until a proper inquiry is held.

Tragic. While I'm not conversant with NZ law, I don't believe the Coroner has the power to detain the ship.

As an ex-Canadian Coast Guard/Fisheries Officer, I was astonished to read he was not wearing a lifejacket/PFD. Of all the bodies I recovered over the years many were not wearing a lifejacket/survival suit, every single live person was.

I an so sad and angry at the news of the crew member's death in New Zealand. We were on the Volendam last year (2010) and in our end of cruise feedback commented on the lax attitude to OH&S on the ship. Issues included a crew member working at height with a safety harness not clipped on - visible from the fitness centre! And crew working on lifeboats without warning passengers on the lower promenade deck that maintenance was in progress and engines (and propellers) were about to start. On one occasion, a metal object dropped from a lifeboat very close to a sitting passenger on the lower promenade deck. HAL had warning that their standards had slipped. I hope the Coroner detains the ship until a proper inquiry is held.

The Coroner has released the Volendam, it has not long left, which would make it about 5 hours late leaving port.

We never saw any unsafe practices on the Volendam 12 months ago. This a terrible time for the crew of the Volendam, and not an appropriate time to point fingers at HAL.

As a mariner member I am deeply concerned about the tragic incident in NEW ZEALAND when a crew member lost his life in a life boat incident today. It is inexcusable that a wire would snap if proper maintenance which is standard procedure on all passenger ships had been maintained. Imagine in a real emergency if passengers had been in this life boat. Heads must roll form the Captain down as to why these two crew members were not wearing life vests.

I am reluctant to travel with HAL until a full and open inquiry takes place and not cost cutings are responsible for this tragic incident.

In Australia and New Zealand, there is much emphasis laid on Occupational Health and Safety regulations.

I am not sure how these rules apply to a foreign-registered ship cruising in NZ waters.

There will be an inquest and recommendations will be made, but this will probably not happen for some time.

Where I live, there has recently been a case where an employee lost both legs in an industrial accident, not because the employer was lax, but because the employee failed to follow set protocols.

At this stage, we do not know if the poor person who died was acting within HAL's policy, or not. And apportioning blame seems premature.

As I replied on the other thread on thsi subject:

n Australia and New Zealand, there is much emphasis laid on Occupational Health and Safety regulations.

I am not sure how these rules apply to a foreign-registered ship cruising in NZ waters.

There will be an inquest and recommendations will be made, but this will probably not happen for some time.

Where I live, there has recently been a case where an employee lost both legs in an industrial accident, not because the employer was lax, but because the employee failed to follow set protocols.

At this stage, we do not know if the poor person who died was acting within HAL's policy, or not. And apportioning blame seems premature.

In Australia and New Zealand, there is much emphasis laid on Occupational Health and Safety regulations.

a very good point. Same thing in Canada. Sometimes workplace accidents and deaths are not the fault of the employer or even the equipment, it can be the fault of the employee.

Sad to see this happen and it will be interesting to see what the final report is.

Archived