Is it best to perhaps just follow cruise ship rules?

Gordie Howe

With all these posts regarding smuggling booze and such onto a cruise ship, I wonder if the same people that condone and promote the smuggling (against the rules) would mind if someone, say John Q. Public, decided to break into their cabin and rip them off (against the rules) when they were away.

One must assume, with the thinking of the original smuggler, it would be all right as long as John Q. Public did not get caught, right?

What if John Q. Public broke into the cabin and just stole the smuggled-on booze for himself. Would that be a case of rule breaking? What would that be in the eyes of the original smuggler?

If the original smuggler considered the above break-in a rule-break, how would they report the smuggled booze that was ripped off from their cabin. Yes, the same booze that was smuggled on-board. One wonders what would be said.

I'm sure it would go something like this - "Hey security, someone broke into my cabin and ripped off the booze I smuggled on-board."

So one would have to assume with the reasoning of the original smuggler, all is fair in the world of rule-breaking. As in turnabout is fair play?

:D

So yes, perhaps it IS best to just follow cruise ship rules.

The point seems to be that since smuggling breaks rules, how far do you go in condoning rule breaking?

There is no real answer.

Most people feel there is a difference in breaking a law(stealing) and bringing items onto a ship that would be perfectly legal in the "real world".

We don't smuggle or feel it is worthwhile but to some it is a big game.

Sorry....I'm just not seeing the point to this thread!!:confused::confused::confused:

I get it. It's a simple question about where the smuggler draws the line as to what rules are OK to break. Simply put, the OP was suggesting that for the smuggler, breaking a rule that benefits them is OK, but if someone else breaks a rule that affects the smuggler negatively, then that is not OK. It's the "It's all about me" mentality.

I personally don't get why some people feel the need to place themselves above the civilized behavior that most of us believe maintains a level of decorum and sanity for all of society to function without allowing it to deteriorate into chaos.

Wow..... What a concept. Act as we are expected and have agreed to when we purchased a ticket on their ship. The cruise contract says certain things are allowed and certain things are not. ;) I haven't seen any language that offers the opportunity to pick and choose which rules we like and which ones we don't thus waiving our responsibility to obey.

Wow..... What a concept. Act as we are expected and have agreed to when we purchased a ticket on their ship. The cruise contract says certain things are allowed and certain things are not. ;) I haven't seen any language that offers the opportunity to pick and choose which rules we like and which ones we don't thus waiving our responsibility to obey.

BAMMM! Hit that nail right square on the head!!:D;)

-speeding one mile an hour over the speed limit

-jaywalking in the middle in a deserted street in the middle of the night

-using your cell phone illegally while driving

-not making a complete stop at a red light/stop sign

-parking 19' , instead of the legal 20' (or whatever the legal length is) from a stop sign.

etc, etc, etc :)

My point: We all stretch the laws to fit our own life. Some laws/rules are more important than others. I won't murder somebody, but I will park one foot closer to the stop sign than what is legal. And I sleep well at night :).

-parking 19' , instead of the legal 20' (or whatever the legal length is) from a stop sign.

My point: We all stretch the laws to fit our own life. Some laws/rules are more important than others. I won't murder somebody, but I will park one foot closer to the stop sign than what is legal. And I sleep well at night :).

No, we don't. I respectfully disagree.

If you speed and are caught, you will pay a penalty.

If you illegally park and are caught, you will be ticketed.

If you sneak liquor aboard just because you think it's stupid rule, the rest of us pay a penalty. Our fares are higher, our drink prices are higher...... we pay for others rule breaking same as consumers pay for all the shoplifters. No different.

With all these posts regarding smuggling booze and such onto a cruise ship, I wonder if the same people that condone and promote the smuggling (against the rules) would mind if someone, say John Q. Public, decided to break into their cabin and rip them off (against the rules) when they were away.

One must assume, with the thinking of the original smuggler, it would be all right as long as John Q. Public did not get caught, right?

What if John Q. Public broke into the cabin and just stole the smuggled-on booze for himself. Would that be a case of rule breaking? What would that be in the eyes of the original smuggler?

If the original smuggler considered the above break-in a rule-break, how would they report the smuggled booze that was ripped off from their cabin. Yes, the same booze that was smuggled on-board. One wonders what would be said.

I'm sure it would go something like this - "Hey security, someone broke into my cabin and ripped off the booze I smuggled on-board."

So one would have to assume with the reasoning of the original smuggler, all is fair in the world of rule-breaking. As in turnabout is fair play?

:D

So yes, perhaps it IS best to just follow cruise ship rules.

Love the post....common sense is what made you the great hockey player you are....:)

What if hotels (which most have bars or sell liquor told you you couldnt bring alcohol to your room?

I don't think it is a 'what if'......

I am not aware of any hotels which ban guests bringing their own liquor.

If they do not have that rule, you are breaking no rule if you Bring your own bottle.

Most cruise lines do have rules as to what liquor is permitted brought aboard by guests.

If the cruise line has a rule, you bring other than what is permitted, there is no 'what if' about it....... you have broken the rule which you agreed to abide by when you purchased use of that cabin on that ship on that cruise.

You forgot the one corporate rule that is most similar to smuggling booze-

Bringing candy/food/drinks into a movie theater.

You have taken as your cruise critic name, one of the great names in the world of sports and especially hockey. In 1950s Detroit, Gordie Howe was a hero way up there with Al Kaline and Bobby Layne.

Gordie was as tough a character as anyone who has played hockey or any other sport. Off the ice though he was known as an especially nice man, with a wonderful,very accomplished business woman for a wife and great children, two of whom became hockey players. Not sure of the following but his other son I believe became a physician.

If you knew all of this...I apologize as best I can.

You assume that I wouldn't pay the consequences. You assume incorrectly :). If I got a parking ticket for parking one foot too close to a stop sign, I would pay it.

Can you honestly say that you NEVER deliberately break any law or company policy (that would include taking a work pen home, etc). If you can, you truly are a saint...and I'm not being sarcastic.

I apologize....re my examples, it's not exactly apples to apples regarding pricing for alcohol on ships vs parking too close to a stop sign, etc :).

However, I do still submit that EVERYBODY breaks some rules/policies.

You have taken as your cruise critic name, one of the great names in the world of sports and especially hockey. In 1950s Detroit, Gordie Howe was a hero way up there with Al Kaline and Bobby Layne.

Gordie was as tough a character as anyone who has played hockey or any other sport. Off the ice though he was known as an especially nice man, with a wonderful,very accomplished business woman for a wife and great children, two of whom became hockey players. Not sure of the following but his other son I believe became a physician.

If you knew all of this...I apologize as best I can.

Oh man, never a need to apologize. I genuflect to Mr. Hockey every time I step on the ice.

And yes, I have had my share of "Gordie Howe Hat Tricks."

WWGD - What Would Gordie Do?? Gordie wouldn't smuggle. He would just reach around and pull your sweater over your head, offer you a knuckle sandwich and send you home.

Thank you for the post. Good old number 9, will there ever be another?

Al Kaline, Bobby Layne and Gordie - you must be a Detroiter. Enjoy...

I apologize....re my examples, it's not exactly apples to apples regarding pricing for alcohol on ships vs parking too close to a stop sign, etc :).

However, I do still submit that EVERYBODY breaks some rules/policies.

Yes, I think it reasonable to say at some point in everyone's life they have broken a rule or law whether knowingly or not. If caught, there is usually a penalty.

When people smuggle liquor aboard, they do not pay the penalty..... everyone else does. The worst penalty I've ever heard the offender incurs is loss of the contraband.

Yes, I think it reasonable to say at some point in everyone's life they have broken a rule or law whether knowingly or not. If caught, there is usually a penalty.

When people smuggle liquor aboard, they do not pay the penalty..... everyone else does. The worst penalty I've ever heard the offender incurs is loss of the contraband.

If someone is caught smuggling alcohol, there is a penalty, it is confiscated by the cruise line.

If someone is caught smuggling alcohol, there is a penalty, it is confiscated by the cruise line.

Originally Posted by sail7seas viewpost.gif

Yes. I mentioned that.

Surprised we have not heard from a real smuggler yet.

I suspect that we might have.

Back to the thread: yes, we all break rules here and there - very often inadvertently. The liquor smuggler does so in a clearly pre-meditated fashion -- which is generally seen as an exacerbating factor.

As a practical matter, I frankly don't care what those petty sneaks do - aside from causing the indirect cost to me resulting from the fare increases the lines must ultimately impose to maintain profit levels. what I find particularly tiresome are their attempts at justifying their dishonesty:

A) I can only drink my brand, which the ships do not carry.

B) They charge too much, so I am justifiably acting in self defense.

B) Everybody does it, so why not me?

Archived