One point short-Crown and Anchor

bjohio

Are you really one point short or is this a miss calculation by RCCL? Some how someone doesn't know how to add +7 and we ended up being 1 point short of becoming Diamond a few years ago. We had old emails stating we were XX before our last cruise and a 7 nighter brought us up to Diamond level. But RCCL had us a point shy they added 6. We fought it and became Diamond at 79 instead of 80. Looking forward to our next battle becoming Diamond plus a point early also.

You may have already done this, but as suggested, you should go back over all of your previous cruises and add up the points yourself to make sure there wasn't a mistake somewhere. It probably won't yield any success, but it doesn't take long to do and the C&A are really good about making up for mistakes. Make sure you got credit if you stayed in a Junior Suite and for all days, etc.

Otherwise, that really sucks and I totally understand your frustration. Depending on the level you're aspiring to it could cost you a balcony discount and a some free drinks which, although not insurmountable, is some cash consideration.

Maybe you could find a shorter cruise to go on before doing another longer cruise?

Tom

I would assume there is nothing one can do if they are just one point short of the next level to earn it for the current cruise?

We are in the same situation. On day 2 of our next cruise we will be diamond. I know the official word is no credit until the cruise is completed. But just like the upgrade fairy, occasionally the Loyalty ambassador will grant a status upgrade. You can email them ahead of time or ask once you get on the ship. The worst thing that will happen is they will say no and you are out nothing. Maybe if they are in a good mood and not overrun with diamonds you might get up graded. It happens on rare occasions. It won't happen if you don't ask and of course don't complain if the answer is no.

Edited by LeesSummitCruiser1

That's a great idea. I've heard more than once that you can often get what you want, but you might have to ask for it. As you say, it couldn't hurt. You could even call C&A ahead of time and see if they'll grace you a point.

:)

Tom

We are in the same situation. On day 2 of our next cruise we will be diamond. I know the official word is no credit until the cruise is completed. But just like the upgrade fairy, occasionally the Loyalty ambassador will grant a status upgrade. You can email them ahead of time or ask once you get on the ship. The worst thing that will happen is they will say no and you are out nothing. Maybe if they are in a good mood and not overrun with diamonds you might get up graded. It happens on rare occasions. It won't happen if you don't ask and of course don't complain if the answer is no.

Are you really one point short or is this a miss calculation by RCCL? Some how someone doesn't know how to add +7 and we ended up being 1 point short of becoming Diamond a few years ago. We had old emails stating we were XX before our last cruise and a 7 nighter brought us up to Diamond level. But RCCL had us a point shy they added 6. We fought it and became Diamond at 79 instead of 80. Looking forward to our next battle becoming Diamond plus a point early also.

Is the dispute due to the conversion to a nightly points system implemented some years ago by RCL.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. The moment we stepped onboard in December on Brilliance, we started our 175th day with RCL (which would have made us D+). The response from the LA when we asked this very question - you should book more cruises:(

Even if they couldn't help you out that was a pretty insensitive response. Anyone going from Diamond to Diamond+ has already bookedd enough cruises to at least deserve a respectful answer. Maybe they were trying to be funny, but ...

I think everyone deserves a respectful answer, but from a business point of view, in your case, it is even more so true.

Tom

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. The moment we stepped onboard in December on Brilliance, we started our 175th day with RCL (which would have made us D+). The response from the LA when we asked this very question - you should book more cruises:(

Even if they couldn't help you out that was a pretty insensitive response. Anyone going from Diamond to Diamond+ has already bookedd enough cruises to at least deserve a respectful answer. Maybe they were trying to be funny, but ...

I think everyone deserves a respectful answer, but from a business point of view, in your case, it is even more so true.

Tom

It got better. We informed her that we had six more cruises booked through April 2016, and would book more when RCL released its 2016-2017 schedule. Her response - well you could always book on Celebrity, their Alaska itineraries are out. Decided to walk away before she said anything else. :(

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I know this is a Royal Caribbean thread....but I was very pleasantly surprised when checking-in for a 7 night cruise on the Carnival Liberty in December that we got a "Gold" Sea Pass card. According to their website and my calculations we were not supposed to become "Gold" until the 4th day of our cruise. It made us feel "appreciated and important" :D but I also think Carnival has better customer service than RCCL after taking 3 cruises with them last year. I will be comparing in a few days, though, when I set sail on the Navigator on the 25th. If you're only one day until your next level....I think they should give it to you. :)

Edited by cujosmom

It got better. We informed her that we had six more cruises booked through April 2016, and would book more when RCL released its 2016-2017 schedule. Her response - well you could always book on Celebrity, their Alaska itineraries are out. Decided to walk away before she said anything else. :(

Yeah, and you could have told her that you could always cancel those future cruises and book on Disney, Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Oceania or NCL. ;)

If you're only one day until your next level....I think they should give it to you. :)

The thing is, is that there is a huge jump from Emerald to Diamond in terms of perks - free drinks abound and this is normally a huge money-maker for the line. There are more freebies at this level (C&A coupons, etc.). What's the cut-off? When you are one day away, two, three? It's fair to everyone to have to wait for the benefits of the next level, IMO. And for the record, we were declined on the day we turned Diamond while on a back-to-back. We asked, we didn't receive, we didn't mope about it. We moved on. :D

I know this is a Royal Caribbean thread....but I was very pleasantly surprised when checking-in for a 7 night cruise on the Carnival Liberty in December that we got a "Gold" Sea Pass card. According to their website and my calculations we were not supposed to become "Gold" until the 4th day of our cruise. It made us feel "appreciated and important" :D but I also think Carnival has better customer service than RCCL after taking 3 cruises with them last year. I will be comparing in a few days, though, when I set sail on the Navigator on the 25th. If you're only one day until your next level....I think they should give it to you. :)

You earn all your points when you start a cruise on CCL....So if you are 6 points away and your next cruise is 7 points You will get your pin and perks on the cruise that upgraded your status. Happened to us. We did have to fight for it by bringing a port of call photo from 1991. The 4 points plus the 8 day cruise we were on turned us gold.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Forums mobile app

Maybe you could find a shorter cruise to go on before doing another longer cruise?

Tom

That's a great idea! We did that once before! We were short a few years ago right before our B2B honeymoon. We wouldn't have reached Diamond until the second week so we booked a cruise before our honeymoon to make enough points for Diamond.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yeah, and you could have told her that you could always cancel those future cruises and book on Disney, Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Oceania or NCL. ;)

It wasn't worth the oxygen consumption to do that. As soon as we got back home we did book a Disney cruise, however. :)

No wow card for them whether they can accept them or not!

Tom

It is a nice benefit that Carnival allows you to begin the cruise at the higher level if you will have enough points mid-cruise. In March I will be on our first cruise as Emerald. Only 3 more until Diamond! Nice.

That's a great idea. I've heard more than once that you can often get what you want, but you might have to ask for it. As you say, it couldn't hurt. You could even call C&A ahead of time and see if they'll grace you a point.

:)

Tom

They won't.....:D

If everyone who was short a point or two (or five) asked for special treatment, what is the point of the rule that you obtain status AFTER you complete a cruise if some are going to think they deserve it early? As others have said, book another short cruise if you want the status.

We have hit just about every status during a cruise and never once asked for anything. We hit D and D+ about 4 days into 10+day cruises and never even considered it. In fact, we don't get to use our D+ status for the first time until this Nov.

That's a great idea! We did that once before! We were short a few years ago right before our B2B honeymoon. We wouldn't have reached Diamond until the second week so we booked a cruise before our honeymoon to make enough points for Diamond.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is how we solved the problem - a four day in an inside cabin on Enchantment in September so we'll be Diamond on our 11 day on Serenade in November!