How bad are the Mosquitos?

cruiseguy1016

We're starting to plan a cruise to Alaska in 2017. We will be cruising and then spending 4 or 5 days doing a land tour. I have read some horror stories about the mosquitos in Alaska. Is there a month when they aren't as bad? Is there a month when they are really bad so we can avoid that?

We're starting to plan a cruise to Alaska in 2017. We will be cruising and then spending 4 or 5 days doing a land tour. I have read some horror stories about the mosquitos in Alaska. Is there a month when they aren't as bad? Is there a month when they are really bad so we can avoid that?

We did not have any problems with them in June. With that said, I'd try to plan based on what you do want to see rather than on avoiding mosquitos. (salmon spawning for example)

How about December, January or February. LOL!!

Seriously, bring lots of deet and you will be OK regardless of when you go.

DON

It depends WHERE you go?? The above "none" claims, really don't mean much as bugs are always a potential end of May through about the third week of August. And YES I have run into some horrific areas, Fairbanks beginning of June, ALWAYS Wonder Lake between that time, No see um's out of Skagway- always, I hope for some wind. :) Some areas, I've worn bug nets, always have Deep Woods off, depending where I'm going.

But where most cruise passengers go, it could be minimal. Best to take a look at your plans and decide if precautions are needed.

It depends WHERE you go?? The above "none" claims, really don't mean much as bugs are always a potential end of May through about the third week of August. And YES I have run into some horrific areas, Fairbanks beginning of June, ALWAYS Wonder Lake between that time, No see um's out of Skagway- always, I hope for some wind. :) Some areas, I've worn bug nets, always have Deep Woods off, depending where I'm going.

But where most cruise passengers go, it could be minimal. Best to take a look at your plans and decide if precautions are needed.

Hehe;

You are so right about Wonder Lake. Mostly not much problem, though,

I do take deet.

Just don't let the threat of them stop you from doing the things you

otherwise would.

"It depends." Varies from year to year. In 2013 I was in Anchorage, Palmer, Denali, Healy and the Portage Valley in June. The mosquitoes were terrible everywhere. That was by far the worst year for me for mosquitoes.

They are always near Wonder Lake from the time the shuttle buses start operating until at least late July.

I once saw a tee shirt with a pic of a mosquito, & the caption read:

"Alaska State Bird" :D

I am from Minnesota - and they are often referred to as the state bird here as well. I have not been to Alaska yet (coming in late June/early July this year!) and something tells me they can't be much worse in Alaska than in my back yard with trees and a pond in Minnesota:). We'll see.

I am from Minnesota - and they are often referred to as the state bird here as well. I have not been to Alaska yet (coming in late June/early July this year!) and something tells me they can't be much worse in Alaska than in my back yard with trees and a pond in Minnesota:). We'll see.

the lovely Mrs B-D is from wisconsin and there are quite a few in town from minnesota and the UP . none of them complain about the mosquitoes in SE.

the only time i am bothered by mosquitoes, white socks, and no-seeums is when i'm cleaning a fish and both hands dripping with gurry and i have to decide if i want to swat my head and face with hands covered in fish entrails.

the interior is different.