Wearing robes around the ship?

Ok, I remember in the past - there was some discussions that would pop up from time to time about proper attire(in various scenarios), and often the subject of robes would come up. I saw the other thread about robes only being given now upon request unless you are in a suite, etc etc..

But, I gotta say...

On our last cruise (2 weeks ago), we were very early on the ship (11:30am, or so), and went directly to the guest services area to reserve our dining package with the restaurant manager .. anyways... As we are there, I saw this lady walk up and stand in line at GS - wearing her stateroom robe, complete with slippers which seemed to match (I don't remember any slippers coming with the robes?)... I had a good internal chuckle.

But, then I asked myself - is this weird to wear a robe around the ship? It seemed out of place on the Promenade - but if I saw it at the pool, I likely would think nothing...

Is there some inside joke/stories about certain types of people wearing robes around the ship (for breakfast, or to shop ?)

Or, I am being weird on this? We had robes - but I only wore them getting out of the shower - or on the balcony in the morning - never outside of the cabin - but that's just me?

But, then I asked myself - is this weird to wear a robe around the ship? It seemed out of place on the Promenade - but if I saw it at the pool, I likely would think nothing...

Is there some inside joke/stories about certain types of people wearing robes around the ship (for breakfast, or to shop ?)

Or, I am being weird on this? We had robes - but I only wore them getting out of the shower - or on the balcony in the morning - never outside of the cabin - but that's just me?

Anywhere outside your cabin is pretty weird, with the possible exception of around the pool. Even then, I'd expect people to get dressed going between the pool and their cabin. I wouldn't faint if they didn't, but I'd think they were extremely odd.

However, I've heard of situations where people have literally lost all their luggage, and haven't had a lot of options but to wear a robe from time to time, so I generally try not to judge in case that's the situation (but secretly I still think it weird). I'm certainly never going to approach anyone and ask if they're aware they're wearing a dressing gown.

I did see a couple of women early in the morning (about 7 am) wearing their robes, fuzzy slippers, and hair curlers (really), on the pool deck putting towels on chairs. I mean seriously, you can't actually expect someone to actually get dressed to save their pool chairs, otherwise how will they be able to go back to bed and sleep?

I did see a couple of women early in the morning (about 7 am) wearing their robes, fuzzy slippers, and hair curlers (really), on the pool deck putting towels on chairs. I mean seriously, you can't actually expect someone to actually get dressed to save their pool chairs, otherwise how will they be able to go back to bed and sleep?

Well, that will sure wake you up!:eek:

While I am in full support of wearing a bath robe to and from the spa, pool and sun deck and between those venues, a bathrobe at guest services on a ship would only be appropriate if you had lost or de-activated your sea pass card.

A bath robe supplier had a good blog post on this issue.

http://www.tisseronbathrobes.com/blog/vacation-mens-bathrobes/

October 2015 on the Jewel o/t Seas: every morning in the Windjammer, there was an older woman who walked around selecting her food items in her Royal Caribbean robe and slippers. She would have her cane hooked on her forearm and plates in both hands. The first day I furrowed my brow thinking, "huh". Then every morning after that, I smiled at the sight of her. She just took her time going from station to station. I thought "good for her".

Seeing her didn't bother me, but I was hoping she was okay. It seemed she may have been traveling alone. Her gait was slow and at times she just stood in the middle of the stations looking around.

I have seen this more times than I can count. Usually it's an older gentleman walking along the promenade. I think these people do it to show their status. This drives a friend whom I cruise with crazy. It doesn't bother me.

The worst was a young couple, in the dining room, the last full day of the cruise who were actually wearing silk pajamas and matching robes to breakfast. The maitre'd sat them and didn't blink an eye.

Ive only done it once ....we were up in the pool/hot tub area watching the world series..getting ready to hop in the hot tub ..wanted a drink ..no bars open up there and went down to the schooner to grab a drink..might mention it was about 10:00 on a formal nite...we had a photo package so made a quick stop for the bathrobe photo op ..and scurried back up to the hot tub :eek:....dont judge LOL

Edited by msjaxson

Ok, I remember in the past - there was some discussions that would pop up from time to time about proper attire(in various scenarios), and often the subject of robes would come up. I saw the other thread about robes only being given now upon request unless you are in a suite, etc etc..

But, I gotta say...

On our last cruise (2 weeks ago), we were very early on the ship (11:30am, or so), and went directly to the guest services area to reserve our dining package with the restaurant manager .. anyways... As we are there, I saw this lady walk up and stand in line at GS - wearing her stateroom robe, complete with slippers which seemed to match (I don't remember any slippers coming with the robes?)... I had a good internal chuckle.

it is WEIRD! Most people wear coverups to go to the pool, certainly not a bathrobe. Why would you walk around with your bathrobe on in public???? Yes, it is definitely weird.

I always request a robe if one is not already provided. There must be a light that goes on in the hallway when I exit the shower because two or three times almost every cruise someone knocks on the door while I'm undressed. In those instances having a robe is great. While I never wear one outside the cabin, I'm not bothered by those who choose to do so. I would prefer to see someone walking through the promenade or in the elevator wearing a robe rather than see them with only a bathing suit. A sundress or shirt would be preferable but I'll take a robe over just a bathing suit.

Edited by Royal2464

I would sooner people wear bathrobes when they come out of their staterooms.

Last October while going to our stateroom at 11.00pm to put out our suitcases an elderly man came out of his stateroom totally naked to put out his cases.

My friend and I didn't know where to look but had a good giggle when we got to our stateroom even more so when my wife said that what he was wearing needed ironing.

I would sooner people wear bathrobes when they come out of their staterooms.

Last October while going to our stateroom at 11.00pm to put out our suitcases an elderly man came out of his stateroom totally naked to put out his cases.

My friend and I didn't know where to look but had a good giggle when we got to our stateroom even more so when my wife said that what he was wearing needed ironing.

I love your wife's quick wit!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Alright. I've been trying to think of a new idea for the photos for us on formal night. Robes it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

we had a lot of laughs actually .. its hanging in my cousins bathroom LOL...and as to why we didnt wear coverups it was cold .........

Edited by msjaxson

I wouldn't wear the robe outside my cabin but i can understand why some would. If you think about it that ship is home for however long your on it. Some people might be only doing what they would do at home ie breakfast pool and such. And if you live in the south I know you have seen people shopping at walmart in bath robes.

Edited by CJHAN

While I am in full support of wearing a bath robe to and from the spa, pool and sun deck and between those venues, a bathrobe at guest services on a ship would only be appropriate if you had lost or de-activated your sea pass card.

I think the blog pretty much sums my thoughts on what is within proper manners under normal circumstances. Personally, I would not wear the robe to the spa. They have good changing facilities and better robes at the spa.

Agreed. I'd always be in my robe when going to the thalo pool at the spa on QM2 and QE2, but that was it, and I was not the only one doing it either.

That is when we usually wear ours. We are late night, hit the hot tub people before heading to bed and we will wear our robe to and from. In the from especially we are trying to not get other people wet that we might get into the elevator with.

On my 2013 cruise we deliberately took a bunch of photos around the ship in my robe, including formal night in the dining room, just for laughs (then took it 0ff) not sure what I did with those photos.

I work in the hotel industry, and lots people wear pjs to breakfast, I have saw few men just in boxers, no shoes very common, people just feel right at home, I get more uncomfortable then the people do, your room is where your comfy not the public areas, but who am I to say.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: