Wearing robes around the ship?

That is when we usually wear ours. We are late night, hit the hot tub people before heading to bed and we will wear our robe to and from. In the from especially we are trying to not get other people wet that we might get into the elevator with.

On my 2013 cruise we deliberately took a bunch of photos around the ship in my robe, including formal night in the dining room, just for laughs (then took it 0ff) not sure what I did with those photos.

Were you wearing dining attire under the robe?

I am having visions of icy stares.

Robes should not be worn in public. When I occasionally see this I just shake my head and wonder what in the world these people are thinking. I wonder, did they look in the mirror and actually think they looked good?

I most often see robes being worn outside the stateroom when the chair hogs come out to reserve their loungers for the day.

LOL!!

Good one Bob!

At least they WERE wearing their robes...could have been worse! :eek: :p

Robes should not be worn in public. When I occasionally see this I just shake my head and wonder what in the world these people are thinking. I wonder, did they look in the mirror and actually think they looked good?

They probably care for people who want to judge others and they just mind their own business.

Edited by BillOh

I would sooner people wear bathrobes when they come out of their staterooms.

Last October while going to our stateroom at 11.00pm to put out our suitcases an elderly man came out of his stateroom totally naked to put out his cases.

My friend and I didn't know where to look but had a good giggle when we got to our stateroom even more so when my wife said that what he was wearing needed ironing.

LOL!! Good one!! Thanks for the laugh...and the awful mental picture!! :eek: :p :p

I've only seen people wearing bathrobes on Anthem of the Seas, no other cruises. One couple wore them to the pool every day. I think they thought they were rocking a bit of a spa look. They were European, maybe that's normal for them. Then one night we were in the Music hall watching a live show. We saw two women enter through the back, they were wearing bathrobes. Looked like they were just peeking in. I think it's weird to wear a bathrobe around, I wouldn't do it, but so long as it's not in a dining or entertainment venue, it's not really bothering anyone. Gives you something to smirk about.

I've done it while waiting in line for the flowrider, around the pool, solarium, hot tubes, and on the way to/from my room. NEVER in the Royal promenade restaurants, or any other indoor area.

OP here - OK.. good. Seems like it's not normal to do this. Yes, I've been on 8 cruises - and no, I don't see it very often, but when I do - it's like I'm not sure what to even think - it seemed SO out of place.

Part of me thinks it's a status thing? I would really find that odd though, after all you get them if you are what? Platinum? That's got to be at least 25% of a typical ship's load? No idea, really.

But, even at the pool - I would never wear one - except for maybe what BillOh posted - late night to and from the hot tub. My wife has almost as many beach coverups as she does shoes, so I KNOW she would never be caught dead outside of the cabin in one.

I'm just waiting for a picture of a Pinnacle walking around with their pin attached to their robe :)

Different cultures, different behavior...

If you´d ask me as a German I´d say: Yes, that´s what robes are for! Wear them on you way to the pool or spa. But over here men also do wear speedos as regular swimming clothes :D. BTW I´ve seen cover ups for ladies on cruise ships which hardly covered anything and in some cases I wished they would have worn a robe instead :eek:!

Of course a robe is no appropriate attire in any other public spaces like the Royal Promenade or any of the restaurants (of course including the Windjammer) and also not as Guest Services - unless the person has locked out itself from its cabin losing the card at the pool.

Considering the provided robes in any of the RCI cabins... I don´t think I would wear it anywhere else than inside the cabin... One size fits nobody, many of them missing the belt loops. Although I´m not really a tall person I think it´s way too short. Which is sort of compensated by the width - not that this would compensate anything at all :rolleyes:.

steamboats

We don't even want to wear the robes in the room. We're not in there long enough and it's typically warmer than we'd like so having thick robes on doesn't improve anything.

Tom

I have worn the robe to eat breakfast at the balcony too. But I agree it's useless inside the cabin.

That's a good point. I think wearing the robe on your own balcony should be perfectly acceptable. If anyone is looking I think they are the ones that should be ashamed :rolleyes:

Tom

I have worn the robe to eat breakfast at the balcony too. But I agree it's useless inside the cabin.

No way would I wear a bathrobe anywhere but on my personal balcony or inside my cabin. One less thing to pack? How heavy is it to pack a beach cover? They're lightweight and serve their purpose and don't look like one just crawled out of bed. I think it's silly to see people walking around in bathrobes. While I'm getting ready for my evening, doing my hair and makeup, I often throw on a lightweight sundress.

While I am in full support of wearing a bath robe to and from the spa, pool and sun deck and between those venues, a bathrobe at guest services on a ship would only be appropriate if you had lost or de-activated your sea pass card.

A bath robe supplier had a good blog post on this issue.

http://www.tisseronbathrobes.com/blog/vacation-mens-bathrobes/

And how would anyone know if that was the reason someone was there wearing a robe? Once there is a legitimate reason for an action all bets are off.

it is WEIRD! Most people wear coverups to go to the pool, certainly not a bathrobe. Why would you walk around with your bathrobe on in public???? Yes, it is definitely weird.

Your are being polite with just "weird" ! I can think of other descriptive words. The ship is like a hotel - would people really go to breakfast or the front desk in robes and fuzzy slippers so why would they think it is acceptable on ship??

...wearing her stateroom robe, complete with slippers which seemed to match (I don't remember any slippers coming with the robes?)...

The slippers are available for purchase through Gifts and Gear. DH and I bought some a few years ago and they go with us on cruises and land vacations. :)

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/royalgifts/onboard-delivery/gifts/unisex-terry-slippers/

You know, given the subject of this thread and others regarding chair hogs, reserving theater seats, cutting in food lines and such, there need to be serious consideration to the establishment of some sort of Maritime Law passenger training academy to instruct them not to commit 'conduct unbecoming'. ;-)