RCI double booked OPT, Procedure for Athol Buoy?

We have been bumped by RCI to accommodate the Ovation both on Sydney Departure and Return dates on the Radiance (January 2017).

The Sydney Cruise Port Schedule says :

Ovation: OPT Circular Quay

Radiance: Athol Buoy

TBC : (To be confirmed?) White Bay

My travel agent thinks maybe we will go from White Bay, but I didn't think Radiance can fit under the bridge???

I have read speculation on this forum that we would have to be tendered out to the Radiance.

I am asking what this procedure will be, given that there will be many thousands more passenger than usual trying to be processed at the OPT customs.

Would they give us strict times for boarding/disembarking due to having to be tendered? What sort of boats will they use? Surely not those ones we go on Shore trips in!

I am really unhappy about this, we are catching trains from Newcastle, and don't want to end up trying to get to White Bay. |RCI/Port Authority are being very cagey with any information.

Has anyone had a similar thing happen and can advise?

:)There is nothing "official" yet but I would assume that we will use White Bay as the debark/ embark point with guests being ferried to and from the ship using Captain Cook type ferries that take two or three hundred pax. The last time we used White Bay in this way, free coaches were provided to take guests from the OPT to White Bay if needed and I would guess something similar will apply for this turnaround.

IT is not a matter of RCI being cagey about anything , they probably have not finalised everything as yet and they will want everything to go as smoothly as possible...believe it or not they are there to please and keep the guests happy, not make it hard for them..don't forget you are going on a 9 or 10 ( or more) day cruise and embark is only a couple of hours out of that .. Go with the flow:)

Edited by gbenjo

We have been bumped by RCI to accommodate the Ovation both on Sydney Departure and Return dates on the Radiance (January 2017).

The Sydney Cruise Port Schedule says :

Ovation: OPT Circular Quay

Radiance: Athol Buoy

TBC : (To be confirmed?) White Bay

My travel agent thinks maybe we will go from White Bay, but I didn't think Radiance can fit under the bridge???

I have read speculation on this forum that we would have to be tendered out to the Radiance.

I am asking what this procedure will be, given that there will be many thousands more passenger than usual trying to be processed at the OPT customs.

Would they give us strict times for boarding/disembarking due to having to be tendered? What sort of boats will they use? Surely not those ones we go on Shore trips in!

I am really unhappy about this, we are catching trains from Newcastle, and don't want to end up trying to get to White Bay. |RCI/Port Authority are being very cagey with any information.

Has anyone had a similar thing happen and can advise?

I assume it'll be a double ship day, one in the morning one in the afternoon.

I seem to recall while the OPT was being upgraded there were instances where checkin was done at White Bay and passengers tendered to the ship without luggage which was dealt with separately by the cruise line

But the luggage was trucked to OPT, transferring luggage and supplies by boat would be a massive Endevour.

But the luggage was trucked to OPT, transferring luggage and supplies by boat would be a massive Endevour.

Yes, I agree,to me the luggage (and provisions) will be the major problem , off and on but it will be "interesting".

They (we) could do a double at the OPT by checking in the Radiance pax at White Bay during the day and then once the Ovation departs, bring the Radiance in for boarding ..but only guessing....will have to wait till October when we start the season to find out...and then you guys will be the first to know :D:D:D

Edited by gbenjo

Thanks everyone for your input.

I realise they will try keep everyone happy, but some people need to schedule flights and it would be good to know the details by now. (from our Meet and mingle group chat)

Hopefully with a White Bay departure they will provide transfer from Circular Quay.

Would be much better to stagger the boarding and tag team with Ovation to OPT on the day, but I suppose that has its problems too.

Keeping us in the loop without speculation hopefully soon. :)

Yes, I agree,to me the luggage (and provisions) will be the major problem , off and on but it will be "interesting".

They (we) could do a double at the OPT by checking in the Radiance pax at White Bay during the day and then once the Ovation departs, bring the Radiance in for boarding ..but only guessing....will have to wait till October when we start the season to find out...and then you guys will be the first to know :D:D:D

Thanks mate.

True, though RCL group has had ships tender at Athol Buoy before.

True ..but I don't think there has ever been a full debark/ embark (turn) before for both ships on the same day. I am sure they will have it all " under control" and hey it could be a really good " pay day" for people like me :D. One interesting thing for "us" will be the number of check in agents we will need especially considering the Ovation needs twice as many by itself.

True ..but I don't think there has ever been a full debark/ embark (turn) before for both ships on the same day. I am sure they will have it all " under control" and hey it could be a really good " pay day" for people like me :D. One interesting thing for "us" will be the number of check in agents we will need especially considering the Ovation needs twice as many by itself.

One year , I cant remember which, I think there was a Celebrity ship Millennium? that used Athol Buoy and the passengers had to report to Barangaroo. I remember , as it was before construction started there and no one had heard of Barangaroo . The boards were full of questions and confusion reigned supreme.:rolleyes:

I am sure you will know soon and then let everyone know. You may well be very busy that day and also when it gets repeated later in the season.

I am sure you will know soon and then let everyone know. You may well be very busy that day and also when it gets repeated later in the season.

The 9th Feb is the only date where we we have two ships in at once and one of them is moored at Athol Buoy. There are other dates when we have two ships in but one will go to White Bay as they are small enough to fit under the bridge.

The 9th Feb is the only date where we we have two ships in at once and one of them is moored at Athol Buoy. There are other dates when we have two ships in but one will go to White Bay as they are small enough to fit under the bridge.

I think 28th Jan looks to be the same situation - Radiance at Athol Buoy, Ovation at OPT and an RCI booking of White Bay.

Just checked the Sydney Port cruiseships schedule and Ovation is scheduled for departure at 23.59 on 9th Feb.

Crystal Symphony is overnighting at White Bay and Radiance at Athol Buoy is due at 5.00 and departure 19.00.

There is a booking for White Bay 4, TBC, for 5.00 arrival and 19.00 departure (same as Radiance). Just speculating that that will be an allocation there for check in for Radiance as she won't fit under the bridge. Just guessing.

Just checked the Sydney Port cruiseships schedule and Ovation is scheduled for departure at 23.59 on 9th Feb.

Crystal Symphony is overnighting at White Bay and Radiance at Athol Buoy is due at 5.00 and departure 19.00.

There is a booking for White Bay 4, TBC, for 5.00 arrival and 19.00 departure (same as Radiance). Just speculating that that will be an allocation there for check in for Radiance as she won't fit under the bridge. Just guessing.

I'm wondering if they'll check in at White Bay, tender them out to Athol, then swing Radience in for the luggage provisions to be loaded.

It's the provisioning that is going to be hard to do without docking, maybe they'll provision the last port of the cruise before and/or the first port of this cruise.

I'm wondering if they'll check in at White Bay, tender them out to Athol, then swing Radience in for the luggage provisions to be loaded.

It's the provisioning that is going to be hard to do without docking, maybe they'll provision the last port of the cruise before and/or the first port of this cruise.

Thats what they do with the Port of Tauranga on the Au/NZ cruises. Its ideal as it leaves the turnaround port , Auckland , free to just look after passengers.

Maybe Ovation will leave as per our booking 18.30 not 11.59 as per Sydney ports. Then Radiance could swing into OPT to load provisions etc and leave later as RCI has the berth booked 'til 11.59. Pure speculation of course!