January Specialty Dining Reservations are available (somewhat)

canadarocks

Just noticed that Canaletto & Pinnacle Grill reservations just became available for our January cruise. Since the Explore4 package includes a free Pinnacle Grill reservation (and we don't have the package), I figure we should reserve now to guarantee a spot.

So advice please on which night? We have Anytime Dining, so no worries about letting waiters or fellow cruisers know ahead of time. We'll be on a 12 night Caribbean cruise.

It's been a few years since we've sailed with HAL, but I seem to remember both the first and last nights not being the "best" in terms of food choices in the MDR. Is that still the case?

CanadaRocks - We're on the same cruise as you and have been patiently checking the dining availability for a couple of months. I was first told January would be loaded in September and now I've been told by the end of this week. I was going to book the first night to avoid the chaos of the dining room. I am also tempted to book the last night as well. Admittedly, I had not previously noticed a correlation to quality of food to first and last night :) Will be interesting to see the responses.

RenoDuck

As a fixed seating guest, I look forward to meeting my table mates that first evening and am disappointed if they choose not to appear. Chaos on that first night? Not in my experience.

I think the last evening aboard's dinner menu has improved. I really don't like missing that last evening with my table mates and my Stewards. All of the silliness of past years during that night has thankfully been eliminated.

Book all specialty restaurants you want -- now!!

You can hopefully change or cancel any of them once you are on the ship -- with no penalties.

That way you won't be disappointed if you wait to book on the ship and find that certain dates and times are no longer available.

We always book the Pinnacle for the first evening and last evening. There is just the 2 of us and always book a table for 2 in the dining room -- thus no one will be missing us.

All the options are now available, including Le Cirque & Tamarind. :)

Thanks CanadaRocks! Tamarind booked for the first night. That was my priority :)

We do the anytime dining, so we aren't abandoning any tablemates :)

As a fixed seating guest, I look forward to meeting my table mates that first evening and am disappointed if they choose not to appear. Chaos on that first night? Not in my experience.

I think the last evening aboard's dinner menu has improved. I really don't like missing that last evening with my table mates and my Stewards. All of the silliness of past years during that night has thankfully been eliminated.

I referenced chaos on the first night, because as a couple who signs up for anytime dining, it has always felt chaotic to me with no one having a reservation and everyone wanting to eat at the same time :)

Glad to hear the last night silliness has been eliminated as that was one of my reasons for booking a specialty for the last night.

Again, not having tablemates means no one misses us :)

Just double checking (I think the answer is "no")... can Explore 4 PGreservations be prebooked, or are you assigned?

They are assigned. But from reading the boards, I do think it is possible to book new reservations ( you will have to pay) and then on board to get the reservations switched to what you booked. Check out the Explore 4 thread.

I don't understand. If I book ahead then change that reservation, which is already paid for, to my free Explore4 dinner, will I then get a credit on my charge card or my on board account for that original reservation?

If you cancel the prepaid dinner on board, the money goes to your onboard account.

We didn't bother with Pinnacle last time, but in the past we've booked it for the last night to avoid the silly dinner and the juggling of veggies. It's nice that the big production is gone, but I think the last night's menu is the weakest. They try to highlight all the chefs in the culinary council and the menu never quite hangs together. That would still be my choice for Pinnacle night.

Thanks Kazu. I'll look. Am trying to help a friend sailing HAL for the first time.

If the PG was an incentive for her TA (think cars), would that likely be assigned also?

It most likely will be assigned. I've had a couple of those gifts and they were assigned.

Just noticed that Canaletto & Pinnacle Grill reservations just became available for our January cruise ...

So advice please on which night? We have Anytime Dining, so no worries about letting waiters or fellow cruisers know ahead of time. We'll be on a 12 night Caribbean cruise.

It's been a few years since we've sailed with HAL, but I seem to remember both the first and last nights not being the "best" in terms of food choices in the MDR. Is that still the case?

Thanks for posting this info. After literally attempting to make specialty dining reservations for our January cruise every day for the past 3 weeks, I gave up trying on Monday (10/17). So if you hadn't posted this info, I probably would not have checked back on the HAL site for a couple of weeks and missed getting the reservations we want. So thanks for your Post.

Re which nights are best to book specialty restaurants, our personal choices are: (1) An Evening at Le Cirque - whenever it is held as this truly is a can't miss opportunity!; (2) Tamarind & Pinnacle Grill - typically on "Sea Day" evenings & Gala Night(s); and (3) Canaletto - the evening before a "Sea Day" (we want sufficient time to enjoy a real Italian family dinner without worrying about having to get up early the next day for shore excursions). One final suggestion: Be sure to do lunch in the PG at least once on your cruise - IMO lunch in the PG is one of HAL's best kept secrets - it is outstanding and should not be missed!!

Smooth sailing ...

Edited by avian777

We had the Explore 4 package on our 11 day Panama Canal Cruise on the Zuiderdam last January 25. We were told our PG dinner could not be pre booked. A card with an assigned date and time was in our state room when we boarded. A phonecall to the PG on the day we boarded changed our reservation to the date and time we preferred. No trouble at all.

We are booked on an 11 day cruise Feb 8 2016 on the Nieuw Amsterdam, again with the Explore 4 package, we plan to do the same thing.

Hi Canadarocks...how did you go about making specialty dining reservations? I'm on the Jan 7th Eurodam out of Ft. Lauderdale, and at the specialty dining page, I can "check availability" but when I plug in a date and time, nothing happens.

I've purchased the 3 dinner package, one night in each of the 3 specialty restaurants.

Thanks.

Hi Canadarocks...how did you go about making specialty dining reservations? I'm on the Jan 7th Eurodam out of Ft. Lauderdale, and at the specialty dining page, I can "check availability" but when I plug in a date and time, nothing happens.

I've purchased the 3 dinner package, one night in each of the 3 specialty restaurants.

Thanks.

When you buy a package, you have to make the reservations after you board. If having a reservation ahead of time is important, I would cancel your package and buy the the dinners separately. You have to pay for them as part of the reserving process.

Also, I would like to point out, that if you are making reservations after boarding, you will have lots of competition for the best days and times for Pinnacle Grill. This is because you will be competing with all the people who purchased the Explore 4 package, who also have to wait until they are on board to reserve.

OK, thanks Tom.

I'm saving a whopping $10 by buying the package and apparently lose the ability to choose days and times. I think I will indeed cancel that package and buy my 3 nights in the specialty restaurants individually.

I've read that there may be first and last night dining issues in the MDR; any thoughts on that?

Charlie

Also, I would like to point out, that if you are making reservations after boarding, you will have lots of competition for the best days and times for Pinnacle Grill. This is because you will be competing with all the people who purchased the Explore 4 package, who also have to wait until they are on board to reserve.

I thought the Explore 4 reservations were preassigned with a card waiting in your cabin with your assigned time.

Thanks.

I think that the package might be the problem. It says on their website that when you book those, you have to wait until you're onboard to reserve. I did my 3 all separately so I could take advantage of the Mariner discount, and I was able to pre-reserve all three for our January 6 cruise on the NA.

edited - Sorry, just saw that Tom O. already answered your question!

Edited by canadarocks