Time between flights

CRUISERSWITHKIDS

I was wondering if the time between flights is regulated? We are looking at a flight out of San Juan, that has us changing planes in Atlanta, but they are only allowing 35 minutes between flights!! Is this doable? That doesn't seem like much time, and I thought that Atlanta was a bigger airport. We are not changing airlines so I would assume that we will be in the same terminal. But you know what happens when you assume things:-/

35 minutes could be a stretch, especially Atlanta. We have landed in T, and had a flight leaving in 40 from E. That meant getting to the train from the gate, taking the train from T to A to B to C to D to E (which took 15 minutes just for the ride) then getting to the gate. If possible I would try for something else.

I was wondering if the time between flights is regulated?
It's not regulated as such, but a published "minimum connection time" is set and published by airlines. This varies from airport to airport, and airline to airline at any specific airport; and it also varies by type of connection.

That time is the minimum time between flights which the airline will permit to be booked on a single ticket covering both ends of the connection. But if the booking allows at least the minimum connection time, then the airline is legally responsible for reaccommodating you if, for some reason, you miss the connection. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the reaccommodation will suit you, as the airline does not guarantee that you will get to your destination by any specific time. That's why it's always a good idea to leave more time at a connection point if your travel is time critical, which flying to a cruise always is.

All it takes is a previous flight still at the gate which your arriving flight needs to use, congestion on the apron with a queue waiting to get to the terminal, a takeoff delay of 10 minutes at your origin, etc. and "you're done".

I'd recommend 60 minutes absolute minimum.

San Juan is the United States, of course there are no Customs to go through, but there is no way I would take a flight with only 35 minutes between connections if it were free! :eek:

I've flown way too much and had way too many late flights to even consider such a thing. Personally I won't take anything with a connection time of less than 2 hours MINIMUM, and much of the time I have to run to make those! :mad:

I am going via Atlanta for our next cruise from San Juan and the schedule recently changed and we had a 43 minute connection in Atlanta to make our flight to Montreal. I did not think twice and called Delta to schedule our flight from San Juan to Atlanta to the earlier flight (now have 1 hr 45 min connection). Back in 2004, we had a 55 minute connection...we made our flight but our luggage did not and it had to be delivered the next day to our home. I do not mind the extra time in San Juan and the goal of a vacation is for it to be stressless :D

I would not chance it on 35 minutes

OP, Delta's minimum ground time between flights is 45 minutes. There are five concourses connected by trains that run frequently. If one portion of your flight is on a regional jet you will find your flight at the end of the concourse C or D. There are on average, 34-36 gates on concourses A-D. E is generally for international flights but can be domestic as well. The T concourse is the shortest as it is directly attached to the terminal. The escalator/elevator for the train is located between gates 18-19 (A-D concourses).

Have your checked a CVG connection?

I would definitely not book this combo and I'm one of those southern Delta faithful who flies through there on almost every flight I take. I know where the restrooms are and which concourses have Starbucks and which have Seattle's Best. Trust this stranger!

For our cruise this past August we had to connect through Atlanta and allowed nearly 2 hours for the connection. Good thing we did. Even though all flights were on time, I have some mobility challenges and do not go quickly through airport terminals. We had to walk the length of one termial wing to reach the train (down a long escalator ride), go only to the next terminal, and then to a gate at the end. All Delta. It felt like I needed the entire two hours -- which was actually closer to an hour and a half because they start boarding close to half an hour before the stated departure time. Two hours is a minimum connection time for me in Atlanta.

David

It may be considered a legal connection but there is no way I would book a flight with a 35 minute time between flights, not to mention not booking it if I actually wanted my luggage to make the flight too!:eek:

You don't say which airline but not all airline's flights leave out of the same terminal as we've had to change terminals on several occasions so don't assume yours does unless you have checked. Even flying in and out on the same concourse it can be a long ways from one end to the other when you only have a few short minutes.

I have no problem with a connecting flight at the Atlanta airport as we've done it often, but never with anything less than a 60 minute connection and then we've had to run on several occasions.:)

Sounds like the OP is going back home to Missouri presumably after her cruise so she is not in danger of missing the ship. If she misses her connection in ATL, she can get on the next flight and will be fine. (unless your flight is the last one for the nite)

If you're already booked, I would not pay to change the ticket. I am in the ATL airport every week and have made 20 minute connections even when changing concourses - which you should always plan on doing. It is very rare that you are in the same concourse for your connecting flight.

Good luck with your connection!

Thanks for all the advice. We managed to find a different flight that will give us almost an hour and a half that goes through Charlotte. It cost a little bit more money but for our peace of mind, it was worth it.

There were quite a few options out there, but going through Chicago, Philly, or NY didn't sound the most appealing in January. Having to deal with Missouri snow storms is enough for us!

Thanks for all the advice. We managed to find a different flight that will give us almost an hour and a half that goes through Charlotte. It cost a little bit more money but for our peace of mind, it was worth it.

There were quite a few options out there, but going through Chicago, Philly, or NY didn't sound the most appealing in January. Having to deal with Missouri snow storms is enough for us!

Congrats to the OP! You made the right call. Depending on the frequency of service I will even make my connections longer than normal just to be on the safe side. This typically occurs when travelling internationally when missing the flight means being delayed by a day. As the old saying goes, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Have a great trip!

Good choice and Good Luck!:)

We managed to find a different flight that will give us almost an hour and a half that goes through Charlotte. It cost a little bit more money but for our peace of mind, it was worth it.

You made a great choice! When you travel with kids, a minimum of 1.5 hours between flights is good.:)

Archived